Vallejo Air colors fan an A10 Thunderbolt

panzerrob

Dear all,

What are the best Vallejo Air colors for an A10 as in the photo below!

My kit and instruction maual are in Germany and as I have a 2 week holiday coming up I want to order the paint now so I have it available when I go to Germany.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

79-0224 AR A-10A USAF 10th TFW RAF Upper Heyford 08Sep91

Don't know the Vallejo ref. number, but these are the FS numbers:

FS 34102 for the lighter green

FS 34092 for the darker green

FS 36081 for the dark grey

HTH.

Lothar

Thanks to all who responded!

This is what I found out:

FS 34092 = Vallejo 71.124 USAF Green

FS 34102 = Vallejo 71.289 US Dark Green

FS 36081 = Vallejo 71.314 Seaplane Grey

If anyone has a better match let me know, otherwise on Saturday I'll be going to my LHS!

With regards,

Rob

well, according to the USAF SIG, the colors referenced (34102, 34092, and 36081) are correct for the A-10 European I Color Scheme, verisions 1, 2, and 3.  The Charcoal-Lizzard (as spelled on the site) substitutes 36118 for 36081.  I know the referenced colors with the 36081 grey are correct for the Euro I Scheme.  

Having said that, it's very hard to tell whether the A-10 in first image is in the Charcoal-Lizzard Scheme or the 1st European I Scheme.  The grey is lighter but could have lightened with exposure.... tough call on that one.  Second set of images appear to be the 2nd European I Scheme although I think there's a slight error on the description of the color changes on this version vs. the earlier one at the below link.

Personally, until I looked at the below link, I never knew the A-10 carried so many varied color schemes... Peanut and Flipper color schemes duly noted.  I thought there was the old Euro I Scheme and the new tactical grey scheme.  The Don color profiles included are copyrighted 1999 so while they may be accurate up until that time, afterward they may not.  But since this thread is quasi-dealing with the coloration of the A-10 prior to 1999, I think you're safe.  Examining the photos vs. the color profiles seems to corroborate the validity of the profiles (with the noted exception as above).

USAF SIG A-10 Webpage

Edited by Juggernut