HobbyBoss B-24 Liberator

Thanks all, just a post on how I do my metal finish, not a lot different to a million other ways but, I'd like to think it's my way.

Step 1 - You airbrush the Alclad Bright Silver Candy Base over the section you want to paint. The Alclad paint is rock solid and was dry to the touch within half an hour.

Step 2 - Mask off random panels, I used Post it Notes as they are very low tack and give a razor sharp edge. I then mix Dark Aluminium or any other of the silver based paints from Alclad with the Alclad base and lightly spray the masked off panels. 
Other panels I've used the metal powders from Uschi van der Rosten and again masked off the panel and using a cotton bud gentle wipe the powder across the the panel. Once it's got a good coat get a clean cotton bud and polish it back to the finish you want.

Step 3 - Spray the model with a gloss clear of your choice, I used Mr Hobby Clear in a rattle can and also Aqua Gloss Clear from Alclad, it really depended on how lazy I felt it doesn't matter as the Panel Line wash doesn't seem to affect the gloss coat.

Step 4 - Literally slap some Panel Line wash (I used a 50/50 mix of 1616 Orange Brown & 1617 Blue Black) slap it on all of the panel lines, rivet lines etc and leave it to dry.

Step 5 - After you've left the Panel wash for half an hour or so (it can be longer, I left one section over night) start to remove it with a dry cotton bud wiping in the direction of airflow over the panel. It's important that it's a dry cotton but and not one with white spirit, thinners etc on. Wiping it dry deposits a patina on the surrounding panel while clearing the excess off. Keep swapping out the cotton buds for clean ones until you're happy with the effect.

Step 6 - very lightly mist the base coat back over the centres of the panel.

I then sprayed the whole thing with a Matt coat using Testors Dullcote, (this evened out the finish) and depending on whether you want a aged aluminium finish or a high gloss finish you can apply either a full on gloss or as I used a semi gloss on the leading edges and high points that are more likely to get abraded by airflow.

It's on Facebook as it let me do a little slideshow of some of the in progress work.

For those of you who use Farcebook