ghatherly

Any interest in a F-16 B/D conversion set?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

What did isracast do that you are referring to?  

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/isc32011.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev5/4501-4600/rev4561-IsraCast-32011/00.shtm

They also made an IDF F-16D conversion with the spine, as well as a Sufa/RSAF Block 52+ conversion.

Edited by Dave Williams

On 5/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Dave Williams said:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/isc32011.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev5/4501-4600/rev4561-IsraCast-32011/00.shtm

They also made an IDF F-16D conversion with the spine, as well as a Sufa/RSAF Block 52+ conversion.

That still does not answer my question.  I do know that the Isracast set were so bad that Hannants and SB had to deeply discount them to get rid of them.   I have two of those sets with many wrong parts, missing decals, and warped parts and Isracast provides no customer support at all.  Basically the buyer is screwed if there is a problem.

SO I guess the answer is no, our sets will not be like Isracast.  Ours will be usable, accurate,  and made to fit the rest of the kit plastic.

2 hours ago, ghatherly said:

That still does not answer my question.  I do know that the Isracast set were so bad that Hannants and SB had to deeply discount them to get rid of them.   I have two of those sets with many wrong parts, missing decals, and warped parts and Isracast provides no customer support at all.  Basically the buyer is screwed if there is a problem.

SO I guess the answer is no, our sets will not be like Isracast.  Ours will be usable, accurate,  and made to fit the rest of the kit plastic.

Your question “What did isracast do that are you referring to?” seemed to be in response to the last post on the first page asking about whether your set would be similar to what Isracast did.  I responded on the assumption that you might be unaware of the existence of the Isracast sets, so I provided the information.  If I did not answer your question, it was because your question was unclear.

Really interested to see what you come up with.  Isracast, especially the early stuff, has its limitations.  I have a couple of their transkits.  If you get a canopy I can easily deal with, I will be buying several of yours to replace those pieces. 

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Your question “What did isracast do that are you referring to?” seemed to be in response to the last post on the first page asking about whether your set would be similar to what Isracast did.  I responded on the assumption that you might be unaware of the existence of the Isracast sets, so I provided the information.  If I did not answer your question, it was because your question was unclear.

Hi Dave,

I was't picking on you, it is just that our assumption was wrong and may I suggest that you could have asked?  The question was open ended in the asking as to what are you talking about with respect to Isracast: the kits, the parts, the problems, the poor customer service.  I personally love the books they put out and their decals seem to be quite good as to the weapons set.   The conversion sets were a nightmare and I speak from personal firsthand experience.   The kefir kit did not fit the Revell mirage, Nad both the two SUFA conversions, D conversion, And A conversion all had serious casting flaws, parts missing and duplicates of some parts.   I hate to complain about another crafts man as I know how hard we all try to get it right.  I can screw up a casting as well as anyone, which is why customer service is so important.   I contacted the company and MR Weiss  personal and was told that he no longer had parts for the set and basically tough luck....I should accept the problems as I bough them on discount.    I know many modelers with similar experiences and that could also be what was being referred to.  The problems I had with this company were one of the main reasons that I started GTR in the first place.

BTW, what I meant by the original question was the forward top fuselage, canopy, rear cockpit, etc as far as partswise only.   I am sure that they will be top notch.  I attempted that Kfir transkit.  It is maybe 25% done.  Required a ton of work. 

On 5/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, nichenson said:

BTW, what I meant by the original question was the forward top fuselage, canopy, rear cockpit, etc as far as partswise only.   I am sure that they will be top notch.  I attempted that Kfir transkit.  It is maybe 25% done.  Required a ton of work. 

Sorry if sounded coy, I did not men to be....it is just there were many ways to take your question.     

What I am looking at the following:

• New tooled forward fuselage
  • Rear cockpit for the B/D model
  • Two resin seats so they match
  • Canopy frame with handles, latches, mechanism, etc
  • AFV. have glass canopy.
  • Para pack tail fin base

As for the Spine and CFT's, these will be separate items.   I will also make a few sets without the canopy included for those who have an extra Academy canopy available.

Back to F-16 two seaters.  It looks like I will be able to get the AFV canopies, so that solves that problem.   Start saving your money everyone,  as due to the difficulty of making these and the extensive work involved I am only going to make one run of these.  If they sell well and I can get a supply of the canopies, I may make more.  These will be a direct sale item so I can keep the price down like the old days.  

5 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Sorry if sounded coy, I did not men to be....it is just there were many ways to take your question.     

What I am looking at the following:

• New tooled forward fuselage
  • Rear cockpit for the B/D model
  • Two resin seats so they match
  • Canopy frame with handles, latches, mechanism, etc
  • AFV. have glass canopy.
  • Para pack tail fin base

As for the Spine and CFT's, these will be separate items.   I will also make a few sets without the canopy included for those who have an extra Academy canopy available.

I rarely get upset over hobby stuff so any remarks didn't bother me. 

If I can afford it, I do plan on getting four sets along with three spines and two tanks to replace the two Sufa transkits, one Barak, and one for a Thunderbird.  Will probably go through what I have this weekend and put a little bit on eBay. 

On 5/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, ghatherly said:

Yes, it would be for the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ kit.

The Academy Kit is nice, but it is not the kit that the Tamiya is in my opinion.  I am builder my several of these conversions down the road and know some of you want as well.  

Gary

Gary, you have my suppport!! Tamiya should be the donor kit here, not the Academy one...I had one to compare with the Tamiya one and sold the Academy one. Only plus was the Greek parabrake housing (albeit not correct). So, I also hope you do an F-16A (MLU) conversion with the tail options (parabrake, ADF etc).

best Tim

Posted (edited)

With the B you would still need to rescribe the paneling around the Fin base. Or, will there be fuselage plug for that? Such plug would also be useable for A ;)

Edited by Marko