ghatherly

Any interest in a F-16 B/D conversion set?

As the title says.    I am making  up parts to make family models for the 1/32 Tamiya F-16 Kit.   The resin parts are very workable.   The canopy is the issue.   I have extra Academy canopies from their two sweaters and thinking many of those interested do as well.  The other option is the AFV HAVEGLASS canopy sold as a separate item.

kit would be the fwd fuselage, rear cockpit, rear controls, seat, seat rails, panel, canopy frame and associated frame parts.  Canopy would be not included.   Could do a VAC one but most of us hate those.   Shooting for a retail under $100.

your feedback appreciated.

Gary

Academy/AFV Club made an F-16B - kit AR320,  which I have one of. The Have Glass  canopy is perfect.  I have one of those too.  So, my question would be this. How would your conversion or would your conversion better than this kit. Academy also makes a D model F-16 AFV Club 1/32 Lockheed-Martin F-16D RSAF Block 52+ (Academy Tooling) # AR32S02, which also includes the over wing fuel tanks like Israeli F-16 Sufas use.  I don't wish to sound like I'm attacking your idea, just wondering what your conversion would include that the already available kits do not.  Personally, I love taking base kits and converting/upgrading them.  I'm awaiting, with great anticipation,  one such conversion kit for the 1/32  Revell AH-1G that Werner's Wings is getting ready to ship.  In any case, I say why not?  I love 'em all.  

Rick

1 hour ago, thewizardofaz said:

Academy/AFV Club made an F-16B - kit AR320,  which I have one of. The Have Glass  canopy is perfect.  I have one of those too.  So, my question would be this. How would your conversion or would your conversion better than this kit. Academy also makes a D model F-16 AFV Club 1/32 Lockheed-Martin F-16D RSAF Block 52+ (Academy Tooling) # AR32S02, which also includes the over wing fuel tanks like Israeli F-16 Sufas use.  I don't wish to sound like I'm attacking your idea, just wondering what your conversion would include that the already available kits do not.  Personally, I love taking base kits and converting/upgrading them.  I'm awaiting, with great anticipation,  one such conversion kit for the 1/32  Revell AH-1G that Werner's Wings is getting ready to ship.  In any case, I say why not?  I love 'em all.  

Rick

It sounds like this is for the Tamiya kit, for those who want to use that kit instead of the Academy kits for the two seaters.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

It sounds like this is for the Tamiya kit, for those who want to use that kit instead of the Academy kits for the two seaters.

Yes, it would be for the Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ kit.

The Academy Kit is nice, but it is not the kit that the Tamiya is in my opinion.  I am builder my several of these conversions down the road and know some of you want as well.  

Gary

I know this is off-topic, but a conversion to the early blocks (15/20/25) and MLU is much needed nowadays. It is easy enough to do the later-type single-seaters and two-seaters using the existing kits, but it is quite difficult to make the kind of aircraft used by many European air forces or the Aggressors in the US. I am trying to make an ex-Portuguese (now Romanian) Block 15 MLU. It is quite difficult to make it with the Tamiya kit (even the unobtainable Thunderbirds kit) and reasonably possible to make it with the Academy kit but the base of the fin is still an issue. At the very least you can make a base for the Academy fin. A complete conversion (intake, engine, undercarriage, fin base) for the Tamiya kit would be nice too. There are so many amazing colour schemes for these European F-16s! You can issue a mountain of decal sheets to go with the conversion for the "Tiger Meet" alone. 

Radu

Hey there my friend,

Now done with F-4 and F-15 stuff in 1/32,   Moving to 1/32 A-10 and F-16 items.

I am finally getting around to doing one sometime in the next year.  Already have the intakes and exhausts released,  just need the airframe and gear.  Is using the hvywt metal kit parts ok ?   I can make all of the lightwt parts and adapt them to fit the metal hvywt gear legs but cannot get the lightwt legs from Tamiya.  Both Tamiya parts  are so very close that you cannot tell the difference unless side by side.

one area I am weak on is the level of updating various countries did with respect to the gear and wheels and the cockpit panel layouts.  Some were brought up to later block specs but seams like no common set of updates from country to country.

3 hours ago, ghatherly said:

one area I am weak on is the level of updating various countries did with respect to the gear and wheels and the cockpit panel layouts.  Some were brought up to later block specs but seams like no common set of updates from country to country.

Yes, and no.  For the most part, all surviving A/B models have now been brought up to MLU standards.  Some nations, such as Belgium, have introduced their own ECM gear on these airframes and, as a result, the Belgian jets do have a few antennas not found on other jets.  However, a standard MLU conversion would cover 90% of what is required for most any early Viper.

FWIW, The Early Viper Guide covers all the upgrades to these jets.

Any questions, shoot me an email.

Jake

Thx Jake,

i do do have the book,  I am just very early on with the change of focus now that I am shifting to two new subjects.   F-4 , F-105, and F-15 stuff all done as far as product development,  but the release of new items will continue as I get them into production.  The recent Hornet intakes for Academy and Trumpeter is all I am doing for those.  May sneak in EA-18 pit if modelers want one.

looking forward to the change of pace working with Vipers and Wart Hogs for a few years, lots of stuff needed for those.  

I would love to see a conversion from 1/32 A-6 to EA-6.  That's one of my favorites in the USN.  The F-18 ECM version, the EA-18G Growler is also one of the aircraft I'd love to do.  I'm all  done with F-16 and F-15 versions. Just me talking, doesn't mean you or anyone else is wrong.

Rick

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 6:39 PM, ghatherly said:

.Already have the intakes and exhausts released,  just need the airframe and gear.  Is using the hvywt metal kit parts ok ?   I can make all of the lightwt parts and adapt them to fit the metal hvywt gear legs but cannot get the lightwt legs from Tamiya.  

I think that the most noticeable differences around the "landing gear" area are the main wheels and UC doors. The larger wheels and "bulged" UC doors included in the Tamiya Block 50 kit are not suitable for the early block versions. The smaller wheels and "smooth" UC doors included in the Tamiya Thunderbirds kit are suitable for early blocks, but that kit is (stupidly!!!) unavailable 

Academy includes only the later type of main wheel with bulged doors.

Please read these for more info:

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/F16-32/f16-32.htm

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/F16-32/f16-32-b1.htm

HTH

Radu

Edited by Radub