Miniart 1/35 Focke-Wulf Triebflugel interceptor - Nachtjager version announced

Jan_G

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

How was the gyroscopic precession handled in such an aircraft?  Seems like it'd be almost uncontrollable given the amount of mass spinning at that arm and the resistance  to changes in direction of the plane of rotation.  Would it require helicopter type inputs (90 degree control input offset) or aircraft type control surface inputs; both; neither?

The blades were articulated to alter their AoA and consequently the thrust angle of the ramjets to regulate speed and/or lift required (depending on the mode of flight). Normal elevons and rudders on the cruciform tail were to provide directional control. 

Deeper technical aspects are detailed in a few books written by David Myhra, Roger Ford and others. Source of skepticism or not, the Triebflugel (translates as "Thrust Wing") did get as far as wind tunnel testing during WWII. It along with Heinkel's two VTOL projects (Wespe & Lerche) directly resulted in post-war US VTOL experiments: Lockheed's XFV 'Salmon' and  Convair's XFY 'Pogo'. 

The reality is that the aerodynamics of flying and controlling it had already been worked out on paper. However, as with the two US developments flown post-war, the two ultimately insurmountable issues likely would have been 1) Prodigious zoom-climb when transitioning from level flight to vertical attitude for landing, and 2) Lack of rearward visibility for orientation while landing.

HTH,

D

1/35 makes sence for this type of aircraft, since V1 and V2 plus all supporting vehicles, cranes and railway stuff all 1/35
a diorama with the fuselage cranned of a railway wagon !!

Bob

I have to agree with D on this, as putting my personal dislike for that scale aside,  and already having a 1/32nd version in process, I can say I dont think this should be in 1/35th at all, as I consider it an aircraft, and not a helicopter.

AAOF, Id probably buy one of these if it was in 32nd. Since its in *that* scale Ill pass and keep my 1/32nd version. 

8 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

I think you have to consider that this kit will likely be on the shelf with other 1/35 scale Miniart kits and thus be picked up by an eager trackhead for a spin, if you pardon the pun. I don't think this is an odd decision for Miniart at all.  

I reckon the number of eager propeller heads that would buy this kit if it were 1/32 would greatly exceed the number of eager trackheads keen to enter bolster their aviation stash in 1/35 scale mate.

Oh please, get a life. It wasn’t too long in the dim and distant past that 1/32 nearly went the way of the dinosaur. No chance of that occurring in 1/35. Does it really matter if they produce it it 1/35 rather than 1/32? Just enjoy the fact that something unusual is produced. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.