F-104D Starfighter - 57-1315 - AFFTC Edwards AFB, 1960

Out2gtcha

Thanks boys!

I spent most of yesterday assembling and finish fitting my new 1/24th-1/32nd JH Models stand. This thing is WAY bigger than I thought and substantially larger than my 1/32nd-1/48th JH Models stand. Its going to fit most larger models and is quite well built and reinforced. Its footprint however may take up more room than I want.

I subbed in some felt I pilfered from the wife in place of the supplied rubber bands to glue to the places where the stand contacts the model. 

I set it up for the F-104D, and test fit the tip tanks:

20191015_191101-XL.jpg

20191015_191108-XL.jpg

I removed the tanks and wings and did some finish sanding on the fuselage tonight followed by some needed filling. I plan on getting the filling/sanding, re-scribing as well as the intakes added and smoothed prior to gluing the wi Gs and tip tanks on permanently.

Ater that I will add the slats and flaps and I should be ready for the prep stages of paint!

Absolutely this is looking good, appearing very sleek perched on the new stand. 

How do you find the JH Models jig now that you've used it? Easy to position the uprights? I have never used one and I'm wondering if having measurements on the base is important or not. 

Edited by GDW

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, GDW said:

How do you find the JH Models jig now that you've used it? Easy to position the uprights? I have never used one and I'm wondering if having measurements on the base is important or not. 

This is actually my 3rd JH Models stand and I love em! Very easy to position things including sideways angles if you need them too. The 1/24th stand is just quite big, and the footprint of the base is very large. I also have their 32nd base as well as the biplane base.   I find the base very easy to use and customize to the position you need for the model. 

8 minutes ago, GDW said:

Thank you, I appreciate the field report. I've looked at jigs made by three different manufactures. Your endorsement carries a lot of weight with me, so thats it then. A JH Modeles stand it will be. 

I don't think you will regret the purchase. My 32nd stand has somehow been acquired by my 1/32nd F7F Tigercat (positioned upside down the poor thing :lol: )  and has taken abuse upon abuse. Its like anything, not perfect as it is still made out of wood and susceptible as such to anything normal plywood is, like stress across a single piece and such, but all in all a very nice stand. 

The 1/24th stand Id imagine may even be large enough for a 1/32nd twin bomber or even larger possibly.   The other drawbacks may include having to assemble the stand yourself (wood glue and CA work well for that) and the fact that they can be a bit pricey. 

Thanks gents!  Good and bad here...........

The good, I have got the fuselage (seemingly 90% of the aircraft!) super smooth, even with the magnetic removable doors.

The bad, I looked over the fuse last night and found one side of the wing lights good

20191020_172008-XL.jpg

And one side like this:

20191020_172001-XL.jpg

20191020_172004-XL.jpg

The MLED was completely broken, and the positive and negative wires completely separated, and broken at the light itself.

Crud. I ordered some similar sized cold micro LEDs from China, but its going to be a bit before they get here.