F-104D Starfighter - 57-1315 - AFFTC Edwards AFB, 1960

Out2gtcha

No rest for the driven! Ive been thinking about this one for quite some time now as it is going to contain some firsts for me. This one will be based on Italiari's new (ish) TF-104. The differences between the TF and D for my purposes are nil, so this is about the last time Ill likely worry about them. 

This will be modeled at F-104D 57-1315, flying out of the Air Force Flight Testing Center, based at Edwards AFB, in high visibility orange and NMF:

3_14-S.jpg

1464507135-971381593-L.jpg

Here is a pic of 57-1314 at Edwards in 1960:

F-104D-71314%2057-1314_AFFTC%20support-X

The florescent orange had a tendency to fade quite badly in the hot Edwards AFB sun, so I will probably incorporate some of that, but I will be making my model basically in the earliest days of the AFFTC, so it will be a  newish paint job, with less fading. 

The "firsts" for me on this model I mentioned previously will be 2 fold:

1 - This will be my first 1/32nd "in flight" or gear up model. Ive done many models, and many models for customers too, but have until now not ever done a full gear up in-flight model. The 104 seemed perfect for it, and Ill describe how it will be posed shortly.   I purchased a 12" long clear acrylic rod to mount the model on, just for this purpose. 

2 - This will be my first fully "lit" model. I purchased a full  lighting kit from "MagicScaleModeling" specifically designed for the dual seat F-14 that includes all exterior lighting, exhaust and cockpit lights:

MM%20lighting%20kit_1-X2.jpg

I will  be using kitchen foil for the NMF, and will be using MRP white followed by MRP-194, Luminous Orange. 

Lets get on with what the build will contain shall we?

The model will be made from Italiari's TF-104 duel control F-104:

20190506_161642-XL.jpg

The full lighting set up:

20190506_160426-XL.jpg

AM, plus a Master Model pitot tube, including two Nam era pilots. It was about as close as I could come for 1959/1960. I know their helmets may be a bit too up to date for late 1959, but hey ho, they were better than any of the other choices out there. AM also includes the gorgeous Eduard exhaust and a 7/8" by 12" clear acrylic rod for the base I have yet to purchase. No further AM really needed on this one since two pilots and some lighting will take the focus in the pit, and no need for AM wheels, gear or wells with none of that showing:

20190506_160703-XL.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

20190506_160718-XL.jpg

Lastly, I will supplement my build with the very nice Victory productions F-104 Starfighters Part 1 decals:

20190506_161015-XL.jpg

20190506_161353-XL.jpg

I will use custom made paint masks on my Silhouette cutter for the rest of the markings not included in the decal set, along with the stars and bars. Im really looking forward to a change of pace here with a jet, as well as getting back to my roots of foiling with kitchen foil!   yay! 

Cheers till the next episode! 

32 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I did the artwork for the Victory sheet.  I can send you precisely sized outlines so you can mask the (very tedious) NMF outlines around the markings if you want.  Send me a PM.  

Excellent! I am planning on using as few of the decals as I can.

1 minute ago, Gazzas said:

Do I hear the soft rustle of aluminum foil?   Looking forward to this one.  I really enjoyed my Italeri 104. 

Indeed!  Tiz been awhile since Ive foiled anything really.   Mixing paint and foil has worked well for me in the past so I hope that tradition continues as this one is going to need a bit of that mix. 

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed!  Tiz been awhile since Ive foiled anything really.   Mixing paint and foil has worked well for me in the past so I hope that tradition continues as this one is going to need a bit of that mix. 

If you know of a paint impervious to both isopropyl and Acetone, lemme know.  I use both in the foiling process.

Gaz

Thanks guys! 

Yep, I'll have to be careful and do some testing of MRP paint over foil. Enamel worked well over foil, and with MRP being a lacquer based carrier, I'm hoping it allows the paint to bite into the grained foil.

Great project - it's a Starfighter, what's not to like?

May I make a suggestion for the faded orange? Vallejo Model Air Fluorescent Red (71.082) spayed over an undercoat of white. I've got a Gnat somewhere in Non-lsp works - can't find it atm or I'd post a link - on which I used just that.

Hth.