Jump to content
Durangokid

Academy AH-1Z So much for quick build :(

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Durangokid said:

 

Thanks Brian!  Here is where the exhaust goes.  Not sure how I'm going to bend it, I may just angle it so it looks curved.

pnGAgV4Nj

 

 

Bryan,

Is that exhaust pipe actually curved or is it ovalized?  It looks like its an oval from this angle, or is it curved down and ovalized?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Not sure what the issue is here.

 

 

I think the initial problem was Bryan was replacing the kit part with metal tube and was not sure how to bend it. From looking at the pic, it looked ovalized to me, but obviously just the angle of the pic makes it look like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantomdriver said:

Miniature plumber's pipe  benders......

and yes, they are made in smaller sizes below 9mm...

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/tube-bending-springs-k-and-s-metals-ks321

 

I almost missed your post... Thanks for the info!

 

17 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

 

 

I think the initial problem was Bryan was replacing the kit part with metal tube and was not sure how to bend it. From looking at the pic, it looked ovalized to me, but obviously just the angle of the pic makes it look like that. 

 

Yeah it's round, I gave a bad example. I'm looking into the K&S pipe benders that phantomdriver told me about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job so far! I am working on the kit as well. You may want to check the tail boom - there are some parting lines at the lower rear which should be removed before painting. Overall tolerances are extremely tight due to very precise engineering - make sure there is no paint or so on the gluing surfaces as this will cause problems. The cockpit is not very accurate indeed, especially the area behind the rear seat. It is pretty difficult to find good pics, so I just added a few wires and some rivets to the cockpit sides and the instrument coamings. I have used seat belts from the Eduard AH-1W kit. Not 100% accurate but the look the part... By the way, if you have to replace or add raised rivets on the fuselage, there are perfectly suited ones on an Archer sheet. I have to check which one it is when I'm back home. The stencils being too light is very annoying... I have ordered the Werner's Wings decals as the Flying Leatherneck decals will be available too late for me. Dave agreed to cut masks for my preferred version, though... let's see! 

 

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting your build, Bryan.   You've pointed out some issues and tips that haven't been covered in other posts so many people will benefit from your post.   I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself about your scratch made seat belts - I think they look good.  I'm also a big fan of thinning kit parts, which elevates the model to a higher level and doesn't cost anything other than time and effort.   You've really improved the appearance of the kit in this respect. 

 

I like Academy's approach to this kit and I think it's smart from a business perspective (which is why they exist, after all).   They've focussed on good engineering and fit, as well as lovely exterior detail.  Obviously they've reduced the cost of manufacture and the RRP by omitting a lot of internal parts and detail - extras most buyers probably aren't interested in.   I think Academy has pitched this at two distinct markets to optimise their sales.   The first market is the lucrative 'high volume sales' market of those who don't buy very expensive kits but want attractive, detailed subjects that are relatively simple and enjoyable to build.  The second market is the discerning modeller who uses the kit as a base for a project incorporating aftermarket accessories.   I think they've covered both bases really well.   I really hope Academy profit nicely from this kit, so they can develop and sell an AH-1G version of this classic helicopter.   Just my two cents worth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Great job so far! I am working on the kit as well. You may want to check the tail boom - there are some parting lines at the lower rear which should be removed before painting. Overall tolerances are extremely tight due to very precise engineering - make sure there is no paint or so on the gluing surfaces as this will cause problems. The cockpit is not very accurate indeed, especially the area behind the rear seat. It is pretty difficult to find good pics, so I just added a few wires and some rivets to the cockpit sides and the instrument coamings. I have used seat belts from the Eduard AH-1W kit. Not 100% accurate but the look the part... By the way, if you have to replace or add raised rivets on the fuselage, there are perfectly suited ones on an Archer sheet. I have to check which one it is when I'm back home. The stencils being too light is very annoying... I have ordered the Werner's Wings decals as the Flying Leatherneck decals will be available too late for me. Dave agreed to cut masks for my preferred version, though... let's see! 

 

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress !

 

Great advice sir and unfortunately I totally missed the lines on the tail boom.  Luckily they are very faint so it should be fairly easy to remove.  So far I haven't really needed to replace any rivets since the fit has been fantastic.  There is a small area on the bottom of the tail boom where they have been removed from sanding.  I didn't replace them since it's on the bottom and not really seen much.

 

This is the area I'm talking about. 

 

poOxrKNNj

 

pnWldqrJj

 

9 hours ago, Grissom said:

Thanks for posting your build, Bryan.   You've pointed out some issues and tips that haven't been covered in other posts so many people will benefit from your post.   I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself about your scratch made seat belts - I think they look good.  I'm also a big fan of thinning kit parts, which elevates the model to a higher level and doesn't cost anything other than time and effort.   You've really improved the appearance of the kit in this respect. 

 

I like Academy's approach to this kit and I think it's smart from a business perspective (which is why they exist, after all).   They've focussed on good engineering and fit, as well as lovely exterior detail.  Obviously they've reduced the cost of manufacture and the RRP by omitting a lot of internal parts and detail - extras most buyers probably aren't interested in.   I think Academy has pitched this at two distinct markets to optimise their sales.   The first market is the lucrative 'high volume sales' market of those who don't buy very expensive kits but want attractive, detailed subjects that are relatively simple and enjoyable to build.  The second market is the discerning modeller who uses the kit as a base for a project incorporating aftermarket accessories.   I think they've covered both bases really well.   I really hope Academy profit nicely from this kit, so they can develop and sell an AH-1G version of this classic helicopter.   Just my two cents worth...

 

Thanks Grissom!  Well said about Academy's approach to this and I couldn't agree more.  They really struck a good balance especially considering the price.

 

 

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Where are these Werner’s Wings decals?  On their website I only see decals for Army and USAF helos in 1/35 scale.

 

I couldn't find them either but someone said to send him an email.  I sent one yesterday so I'll let you know when I hear something back.

 

 

Thanks for all the comments and great advice fellas!!!

 

Bryan

Edited by Durangokid
added photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a close up of the intake/engine/exhaust area.  Most of the photos I've seen don't have this panel line visible so I'm fairly sure is doesn't belong there.  Maybe someone that know more about this can comment.  I actually didn't even know it was there until I started the decals.  One thing to note is I didn't need any filler nor did I have to sand anything for this entire area.  Great job Academy!

 

plU96zbdj

 

 

I'm still not sure what to do about the decals.  I'm debating stripping the whole thing or just removing the bigger decals.  Either way it's a pain and I'm open to suggestions...

 

Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryan, beautiful build. Your patchy look is spot on, just a bummer about the decals. 

 

I would put the project aside until you have the decals you need.

 

Cheers,

Marcel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...