Collin

Kinetic 1/48 EA-6B: A lesson in test fitting and learning to rescribe

This is an OOB build trying to be built into a ICAP II aircraft based out of Patuxent River in the 1990's. 

First, this kit is a lesson on learning to test fit, and a great subject to learn to use super glue and better your scribing skills.  Trust me....if you build this kit, you will get practice at both.

Used Miliput to create some seatbelts on the other-wise bland seats.  Cockpit painted up and installed.

DSCN8495.jpg

DSCN8516.jpg

DSCN8506.jpg

DSCN8505.jpg

DSCN8532.jpg

DSCN8533.jpg

DSCN8530.jpg

DSCN8528.jpg

Overall this is the state she is in now.

DSCN8534.jpg

This kit has fit issues.  The wings went on pretty well after searching the net and getting the "gouge" on how to grind down areas to get a better fit. The rest of the kit fits OK, but I pulled out the super glue and scribing tools and went to work.  Upper surface wasn't that bad.  The belly was a pain.  Lots of glue/sand/glue....then rescribe.

DSCN8539.jpg

DSCN8540.jpg

The intakes are a pain, so this is how they ended up:

DSCN8541.jpg

DSCN8542.jpg

Built the canopy up (I plan on building it closed).  Added a small strip of plastic strip to the underside to provide some rigid structure...it's very frail without it:

DSCN8545.jpg

Also trying my hand at darkening up the canopies.  Prowlers have to hard to recreate tint, but I am trying to some brown Future wash (just experimenting at this time):

DSCN8546.jpg

And finally tried my hand at creating wingtip lights (and rescribing the lost details):

DSCN8536.jpg

Cheers

Collin