Forgotten War Mustang

John1

Thanks guys!  It's not at the level of the work I see here but I'm relatively content.     I've started wiring the radios, not that much to add, right now I'm about half-way through.  

IMG_0612

IMG_0610

IMG_0609

Had some superglue remove a bit of paint at the base of the fuel cell, I'll touch it up before I glue everything together.     Thanks for looking!

Can't imagine why i missed this one, great project and story you told in the beginning of the thread, indeed a whole different ballgame for the mustang in Korea as opposed to the missions in WW2.

Your attention to detail is amazing, will follow this now for sure.

Jack.

Thanks very much guys, your compliments are greatly appreciated.   I'm actually enjoying all this small stuff, I'm kind of in my comfort zone (not that it compares to the other work I see posted here on LSP daily).   What I'm nervous about is getting to the NMF finish and then the weathering.   These are things that I really haven't done well with in the past.   

Anyway, I think I'm done with the cockpit (aside from final assembly).   I added a few more wires to the radio stack and the terminal plate on the pilot's back armor.  In looking at a couple of the reference pics, I got a couple of wires mis-routed but at this point, it is what it is.  

Some pics:

IMG_0613

IMG_0614

IMG_0615

IMG_0616

As always, thanks for looking! 

21 hours ago, John1 said:

Thanks very much guys, your compliments are greatly appreciated.   I'm actually enjoying all this small stuff, I'm kind of in my comfort zone (not that it compares to the other work I see posted here on LSP daily).   What I'm nervous about is getting to the NMF finish and then the weathering.   These are things that I really haven't done well with in the past.   

Anyway, I think I'm done with the cockpit (aside from final assembly).   I added a few more wires to the radio stack and the terminal plate on the pilot's back armor.  In looking at a couple of the reference pics, I got a couple of wires mis-routed but at this point, it is what it is.  

As always, thanks for looking! 

You have nothing to worry about by comparing your work to the others here. Changing up the radio fit to the later version makes your model unique, and you've done an excellent job incorporating all the changes. The small fiddly stuff is fun...it's amazing what attaching placards and wires to some scratch built parts can do for your confidence. Good work John, like I said before, totally convincing.

I have the same feeling about the NMF, decals and weathering. A little afraid to move forward, but practicing on a paint mule will help establish the technique when you get there. 

As for "thanks for looking", thanks for giving us something great to look at. Looking forward to more. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, John1 said:

Oh my....   I love these subjects.    Anyone ever heard of these guys?   Any info on quality?  

Ukraine based,browse around for some more LSP stuff,including Korean Corsairs

they are wet decals,not regular,I have their Chinook ones,didn't use yet,but feedbacks are fine

http://www.printscale.org/category_13_show_all.html

Sorry for the lack of updates, between a wonderful vacation in Bavaria, work commitments and the onset of the holidays, I've been pretty busy.   I added a few bits to the cockpit and did some minor surgery to correct fit issues with the resin (I think it's mainly my fault, nothing to do with the parts themselves).  Not worth taking any pictures at this stage. 

Next up is the Merlin engine.  The kit part is an absolute jewel and is made up of ~ 40 parts.  I built this straight from the box with no tweaks or additions.  The only thing missing are the sparkplug leads and after looking how the engine supports block the view of these, I opted not to add them. 

Factory fresh, these engines came from the factory in overall semi-gloss black.  However, like any mechanical device that's used hard in all sorts of weather conditions, the engines quickly became filthy, especially in an extreme outdoor environment like Korea.  All servicing and maintenance was performed outdoors, so these engines quickly got covered with grime, fluid spills and dust.   I'm not sure how much of the engine will be visible when all is done, more than likely, I'll do the same as my F4U-1D and leave just a single panel off.   As such, most of the engine won't be very visible.  So I didn't go crazy on the paint job.  That being said, it's always a pet peeve when I see a weathered model of a combat aircraft and if the engine is exposed, it pretty much looks pristine. 

I started with overall semi-gloss black, I then lightened the paint with a bit of flat white and shot the tops of the cylinder banks, to replicate fading from heat. I then picked out the various nuts and bolts with silver and added a few scratches here and there.   I then applied a few different brownish washes and finished with pastels.  

It's not perfect but for my purposes, it will do.   

IMG_0621

IMG_0620

IMG_0619

IMG_0622

IMG_0617

Thanks for looking!

Edited by John1

Work continues..  I have to admit, the news that Tamiya is now releasing an F-51D has kinda taken the wind out my sails.  I like modeling somewhat off the beaten path and now that there will be F-51's flooding the market, I've lost a bit of interest but at this point, I have no choice but to continue on...

I completed the glare shield.  On the underside, I added wiring for the K-14 gunsight control box and scratch built instrument panel lights from styrene rod and stretched sprue.  I took a picture of the bottom but it came out horribly. You'll have to trust me that all this stuff is present.  Once the fuselage is assembled, it will barely be visible anyway.   I then painted the glare shield with a dark grey / black mix and hit it with tan pastels.  Every glare shield I've seen in RL has been heavily faded and dusty.  Solid black isn't an appropriate color, in my opinion.    

After that, I built the radiator duct assembly straight out of the box (once completed, very little will be visible and the kit parts are quite sufficient).   After that, I glued everything into the left fuselage.   I recommend test fitting extensively, in my case I had to carve away some of the Barracuda resin to get things to fit.  

The weathered glareshield.  Note that it's the later type, without the reinforcing ribs.  

IMG_0625

Everything installed in the fuselage side. 

IMG_0631

This really gives you an idea of how cramped the Mustang's cockpit was.  Compared to my last build (F4U-1D Corsair), this cockpit is downright claustrophobic. 

IMG_0627

That's it for now, thanks for looking! 

On 12/8/2019 at 4:51 AM, John1 said:

The weathered glareshield.  Note that it's the later type, without the reinforcing ribs.  

Great job John, but I have to disagree on that, it is the other way around,flat glareshield or also called IP shroud were used on early models, the reinforced ribs are for late models

P51D-5NA

Screenshot-1736.png

P51D-15NA

75412190-2091006051044890-83991499542783

Korean war, late models

8-O6-T93g-XL.jpg

Korea-F-51.jpg

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Oh crap!!!   Well, it’s too late to address, got the fuselage buttoned up.    You are correct.  I know I’ve see some late model D’s with the early glareshield but I can’t believe I missed this.  I might see about glueing some strips of sheet plastic to replicate these.    Thanks for the catch!  

Edited by John1