Eduard AIM-4D

Dave Williams

On 5/4/2019 at 11:09 PM, Dave Williams said:

Out.

https://www.eduard.com/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-32/aim-4d-1-32.html?lang=1

Now all we need is F-4D rails.  Some would say we need a 1/32 F-102 and -106 too, but rails are probably easier.

Thanks for the (albeit incorrectly) titled link.

I recently acquired a Hasegawa F-104G which (buyer advised) was missing its missiles. No big deal as my original plan was a stripped down, unencumbered Luke based

natural metal example such as that seen below.

40812815283_02609de604_o.jpg

But somehow that has morphed into a German MFG 2 MARINE example loaded with wingtip tanks (for the day-glo orange), underwing Kormorans and under fuselage Sidewinders,

like so:

F-104G_German_Navy_(18843834846).jpg

The CMK Kormoran pair arrived yesterday and are very nice, even though the included pylon adapters are for a Tornado rather than a Starfighter.

Never mind, that's what plastic card and sandpaper were invented for. But my first stop at Zactomodels told me there was no AIM-9B in his missiles range.

Cue your Eduard link today, and  there they are - a 1/32nd set of AIM-9Bs, so thanks for that. It hadn't really occurred to me that in the mid to late '80s, B model

Sidewinders were still a thing.

Only remaining niggle is I'd prefer all the missiles to be in traditional virgin white so that the stencilling stands out. 

I haven't found a photo yet, but I'm semi-assuming at this early stage that an example in the previous olive/grey/silvergrey Marine scheme would

not have the toned down offensive weaponry.

And to stay on topic, definitely not toned down Falcons on this Phantom (F-4E 69-0286 BT of the 36th TFW out of Bitburg).

I can't think of too many other kits they'd be applicable to.

file.php?id=5994&sid=a1b9b0b2fb18b31bc39

Edited by Chek
basic english plurals

6 hours ago, Chek said:

But somehow that has morphed into a German MFG 2 MARINE example loaded with wingtip tanks (for the day-glo orange), underwing Kormorans and under fuselage Sidewinders,

like so:

F-104G_German_Navy_(18843834846).jpg

The CMK Kormoran pair arrived yesterday and are very nice, even though the included pylon adapters are for a Tornado rather than a Starfighter.

Never mind, that's what plastic card and sandpaper was invented for. But my first stop at Zactomodels told me there was no AIM-9B in his missiles range.

Cue your Eduard link today, and  there they are - a 1/32nd set of AIM-9Bs, so thanks for that. It hadn't really occurred to me that in the mid to late '80s, B model

Sidewinders were still a thing.

Hi Check

I am doing a Hasegawa F-104G in Marine colors using the decals from the Italeri kit, which in the future will become a S version. Just check the Aim-9B launchers. The German  F-104's used a slightly different launcher than the ones in the Italeri and Hasegawa kits. Here is a photo of the launcher on a Danish F-104 although the missile type is wrong.

104-03.jpg

Nick

Thanks Nick, although I have to point out the launch shoe looks thicker on the photo of 23+80 than your RDAF example above (and .. that paint scheme in its matt days was hard to resist). I'll have to do some more research on the 916 Starfighter site, and a careful read of Danny Coreman's F-104 stuff to be more sure.

I have a set of the new Eduard AIM-4Ds.

They will take some cleaning up (the master was a 3D print) at the base and around the fins, but the resin is nice and strong. Comes with etch for the rear, clear lenses for the seeker, and optional "noddy" caps (which require the missile fronts to be cut back)..

The only subject out there is the F-4D/E Phantom II, for which we need the very esoteric L-41, L-42 & L-43 rails. 

Other users are simply unavailable: F-89, F-101, F-102 and J.35 Draken.

Eduard also make the AIM-4G in 1/32, ready for the mythical Six.

Tony 

Oh yeah, and they come with exquisite decals (just omit the inert label), including some spares. 

And if you don't like the USAF/FMS red & white, Sweden's RB.28s (ca.1963-1986) were originally overall white then overall green.

Would love a Draken, Voodoo or Deuce to put them on, but would settle for the Phantom launchers. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
adding info

In the interests of being of some use to builders looking for info at some point in the future, I need to point out that Nick (Cheetah11) is quite correct in his post here regarding F-104G missile pylons. They are a triple deck affair comprising a stub pylon, an adaptor pylon and the missile shoe. I'll weakly claim optical illusion for doubting his case.

47772233262_60342bfbc4_o.jpg

Love the Starfighter, and especially the 1970s era pearl grey and slate Bundesmarine zippers, but to the best of my knowledge they never used AIM-4s. White Rb-28s would have looked cool on a Canadian jet.

Now I come to think about it, did not the Swiss test fire Falcon from the Mirage III, albeit it might have been the fatter AIM-26B/Rb-27 variant? 

Tony

My fault Tony, the Starfighter diversion occurred due to the original incorrectly titled link, which happily alerted me to Eduards AIM-9Bs I wanted for an F-104G in the planning stages.

Don't know about the Mirage it's certainly versatile and powerful enough, but following your line of thought, RSwedAF J-35 Drakens seemed to happily tote AIM-4 and -26 Falcons and Sidewinders interchangeably on their wing and belly pylons. 

Swedish Drakens used the Rb-28 (based on the AIM-4C, similar to the D) between around 1963 and 1986. The bigger Rb-27, based on the AIM-26B with a 40lb conventional warhead (in lieu of the nuke AIM-26A version equipping some USAF Deuce units through 1972) remained into the 1990s. 

I've checked notes and the Swiss Mirages used only the bigger AIM-26B Falcon, designated HM-55, through to around 1998. They would look great on a shiny Swiss Mirage but, alas, don't yet exist.

What this means is that the only platform for the AIM-4Ds is the F-4D/E for which we lack launch rails, as Dave pointed out in the OP. However, having bought a set of Eduard AIM-4Ds I can honestly say they look the part.

I may spend some time this July whittling and fettling the L-series Phantom rails, subject to weather and inspiration.

Tony