Looks like Revell's rebox of the BF 110C-7 went unnoticed here

iaf-man

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

That's definitely not 65/70/71 in the photos, as you rightly say.  The kit's instructions specify the date of the profile as "France, June 1940", which would make that scheme likely. 

So assuming Revell are correct, apart from the "3U/GT" transposition, is the aircraft in the photo the same one after a repaint, or a later aircraft with that identity?  The kit scheme is WkNr. 3063, can't see evidence of a WkNr on the photos.

So I'd say: If the a/c in the photos is WkNr 3063 after a repaint, then the transitional scheme of 02/71/65 is quite likely.  If it's another aircraft, possible but not so likely.  Perhaps Radu has some more info from the photos?

I believe the two aircraft depicted in Radu's photos are two different ones - the spacing between the codes is quite different, even without taking in consideration the repainting of the 3U of the first image after the white band was applied. Also, the first one looks a tropicalized version to me, with the photo having been taken in Greece, Sicily or North Africa. In fact, it looks like it possibly had a cloudy spray of RLM79 applied over its European camouflage scheme...

On 6/10/2019 at 7:13 AM, MikeC said:

Thanks for sharing those photos Radu, that's useful.   The kit decal option is in the earlier, 1940 scheme - 65/70/71 in a splinter pattern - but I think it's probably safe to assume the presentation on the starboard side is equally standard. 

Unless anyone knows different? ...

Hi Mike, they always read the same left to right on both sides.

The ID letters on the wing bottom were always black.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, Andrea Ferrari said:

I was wondering if it would make sense painting 3U+GT in the transitional scheme of 02/71/65, which I always really liked. It looks too light in the photos to be 70/71/65 in my opinion anyway. What do you think?

Hey Andrea, sure you could.  They carried that scheme starting just prior to the BoB (some did),then it became standard.

Edited by MikeMaben

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Mike, they always read the same left to right on both sides.

The ID letters on the wing bottom were always black.

Exactly what I've always thought, understood, known.  But I'm still curious as to why the kit instructions show the reverse on the starboard side: it really existed on this particular aircraft (albeit against regulations), or an instruction sheet printing error.  I'm assuming the latter, happy to be proved wrong.  Still aiming to do the kit, though.