1/48th Monogram B-24D

b757captain

Hi gents,

This guy has been on and off my shelf of doom for several years so it could be subtitled "Glutton for Punishment". One fine day in the somewhat distant past I came to the realization that over the years I had built all the Monogram (and Revell) 1/48th big bombers, except one: any version of the B-24. Well, gotta fix that! I kinda sorta knew that it would not be a "shake-n-bake" kit but little did I realize just how much work it would turn out to to be! Thus the time-outs on the SOD. I gathered some AM for the kit and ended up using some of it - the wheel wells and engines are CMK, good additions and not too terrible to make up although the wheel wells are a little fiddly to build up. They do look much better than the kit wells though. I thought long and hard between the engines versus the engine/1 piece cowl set and finally decided I couldn't justify the cost difference. Please, please - learn from my mistake! The kit molds the nacelles and cowls as top and bottom halves with the wing. Lots and lots of sanding, filling and re-scribing. I think each nacelle got its own trip to the SOD!. I got the Squadron vac-formed canopy and nose but it was damaged in shipping (big dent in the nose) but after looking at the molding I thought they were not as good as the kit pieces so ended up not using them. Finally the decals are Kits World. Kind of a letdown because the US insignia on the real thing is unique but are not included with the decal set. I tried to find just the insignia with no luck and had no intention of masking and painting them so finally just used the kit insignia.

Eduard interior - just the instrument panel but you cant see any of it anyway and brass gear rounded out the AM pieces.

As for the rest, paint is a custom mix from True North (figured I'd give them a try since my go-to MM is becoming scarce). Jury still out on the paint. Weathering was just a wash to accent the highlights.

Here we go:

DmlCRom.jpg

AAe3C59.jpg

oAnpHVE.jpg

xLqagwv.jpg

xYfXBTZ.jpg

More to come,

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by b757captain

On 5/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, GDW said:

Fantastic job on such a difficult build. It reminds me that some day, for old times sake, I would like to build the Monogram B-26 which I built in grade school. 

Thanks! I shudder at the thought of their B-26. I remember horrible fit issues.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:14 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Excellent. I like it a lot.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:20 AM, MikeC said:

Very nicely done :goodjob:

On 5/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, Big Texan said:

Nice job!!!! Looks fantastic!

On 5/2/2019 at 10:38 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Nicely done!  I like it a lot 

Thanks guys!

On 5/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, Shawn M said:

very nice, this is on my to do list someday

On 5/4/2019 at 4:34 PM, LSP_Ron said:

Very nice indeed

On 5/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, spacewolf said:

Very nice build, looks the part of a war weary B-24. Well done !!

Thanks guys!

There's something about the B-24Dthat I just really like. Same with the B-17F. I have 2 of those D models on the shelf. One like yours...started...put on the SOD...worked on...back on the SOD. I want it to be a "carpetbagger" so it will be all black. Your desert B-24 looks ready for the Ploesti Raid! Great job on a difficult kit but very rewarding results!

Cheers...Ron

On 5/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, GDW said:

Fantastic job on such a difficult build. It reminds me that some day, for old times sake, I would like to build the Monogram B-26 which I built in grade school. 

I built this same B-24D as a kid and it hung from the ceiling in the basement of my parents' house growing up.  That was probably something like 35 years ago.   The thread brings back some good memories.  

Great work, Mark!  It looks really nice.