F/A-18A+ Flying Omar Splinter 08

Fancherello

6 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

Perfect modeling work.:goodjob:

Why did you decide not to use Aires wheel bay? Are not  they good?

Thank you.

Petr

I have had the Aires wells, their detail is not bad but they are undersized: fit is not good at all and you end up cheating to arrange the sidewalls that show up auround the fuselage opening's contour. It can be done, but i consider that Aires didnt do well on that set and as this build may end up on a paper thing, my choice is not to feature that. This other issue is that for technical reason, i guess, all the wiring is on contact with sidewalls or flooring, you can avoid that by doing it on your own. And i wont need long to fit it in the end !

Thank you all for yor positive comments

Fanch

1 hour ago, Fancherello said:

I have had the Aires wells, their detail is not bad but they are undersized: fit is not good at all and you end up cheating to arrange the sidewalls that show up auround the fuselage opening's contour. It can be done, but i consider that Aires didnt do well on that set and as this build may end up on a paper thing, my choice is not to feature that. This other issue is that for technical reason, i guess, all the wiring is on contact with sidewalls or flooring, you can avoid that by doing it on your own. And i wont need long to fit it in the end !

Fanch

Fantastic work!  Very inspiring, I guess you're no stranger  to scratch building,  Looking forward to seeing what you do with the main landing gear bays!

Edited by Brad Sinacore

3 hours ago, Fancherello said:

Fanch

I understand and agree.

Thank you.

Petr

Hi Fanch,

phenomenal work! Looks real, and that is the highest compliment I can give any modeler-

l am really impressed with the cockpit weathering, and the way you achieved the layered effect with hairspray, showing the bare metal, primer, and greys- I get stumped on the sequence though when layering more than two colors- can you explain the sequence of what colors went down in what order?

thanks!

Pete

12 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hi Fanch,

phenomenal work! Looks real, and that is the highest compliment I can give any modeler-

l am really impressed with the cockpit weathering, and the way you achieved the layered effect with hairspray, showing the bare metal, primer, and greys- I get stumped on the sequence though when layering more than two colors- can you explain the sequence of what colors went down in what order?

thanks!

Pete

Hello and thank you for all these kinds words, guys.

The chipping process needs a bit of experimenting because it varies with different brands and on which undercoat they might be layed over. For that result i've been setting colors as they lay on a real Hornet's pic i saw, using AK Real Color paints but i also set some AK Real Color satin varnish between each layer to have a retarding barrier. This helped me go slowlyer from a color down to another, as i make sure to keep very thin color layers. Time is also a factor you need to evaluate with your paint combo by experimenting.

normally, the more you wait, the more the chipping will be difficult to start. The start point must be reached slowly because there after, thing may go faster than wanted.

I use hairspray that has been decanted and let sit in a jar for a day or two ( i keeps bubbles for some time ) and spray it through my airbrush.

Brushes are also important, i used thin flat and sortened brushes, the shorter becoming the rougher. 

Last parameter: water quantity on the brush: you want to keep it minimal and be patient if you want fine chips, to much humidity would start everything too fast and large.

Seems complicated, but experimenting gives results quite fast. It takes a few fails but then opens nice weathering tracks that I personnaly just start to enjoy !

from top to bottom of text this happened as such:

-gloss black GX-2 Mr Color

-KColor dark metal mix

-satin coat

-Hairspray

-Yellow Zynchro

-satin coat

-Hairspray

-overall lightened light ghost grey ( the first grey before overhaul, i guess from the pic i used )/ consoles painted dark grey and protected ( i think, not too sure to remember )

-satin coat

-Hairspray

-darker ghost grey and two mid panels done in ghost grey, airbrush variations and shadows ( story of anoverhaul or two ! the hell hole is also a patchwork of greys )

Throttle was eventually re-worked separately

-black

-alu

-satin

-hairspray

-yellow zynch

-satin

-hairspray

-black

-chipping

i did the chipping maybe 4-5 hours later

It's more simple when imagining the whole layer cut and seen as a sandwich, like on the real one !

Then washes, brush painting, Anyz's knob decals etc

55945076_2242057122702008_74337221760767

55897320_2242057099368677_70889078134134

59843738_2260684640839256_31096655905669

56237523_2242199199354467_89580125290579

here are the colors used for the Yellow ( modern ones are rather pale )

54525401_2235490976691956_82313881021998

an example of floor ( pic from Nate Pendergrass )

this pic is only a few months old and you can notice various hints of grey on sidewalls or just left the lower grid etc. Nowaday's Hornet have had now a long life ! That detail help giving a ntaural look and less monopiece look to the tub, i think

54514677_2235491003358620_89462759897557

Edited by Fancherello

17 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Beautiful work on the gear well. Almost a pity to paint them.

Cockpit also looks sublime!

Marcel

Thank you Marcel !

this makes also think that this way it'll be much easier to paint than the Aires part as my well can still be opened !

4 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

You've absolutely nailed that wear on the cockpit floor, Fanch!

Kev

Many thanks Kevin !

I just love that ref pic, i took a slap with that dark metal hue.  I had to try that !

Fanch'