Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

What's the point of time limiting searches?

If I search the forums and get no results, I have to wait a certain amount of time before searching again.  Have I missed another memo?  Is there some kind of way somebody is profiting off of searching internet forums that requires limiting how frequently you can do them?

The limit could be removed if the site can guarantee you are a human being and not a robot attacker. They could introduce Captcha to it but that would be a change to the software 

So it's to prevent DOS attacks?  I guess that makes sense, but a Captcha thing would be okay I guess.  But NOT those stupid "select all traffic lights" things that never work right.  Just one of the "I'm not a robot" buttons please!

Once they get us okay with driverless cars, they'll persuade us to all move into the cities and live in efficient mass housing. Everything we need will be provided by government processing centers and we won't have to venture outdoors into the increasingly hostile climate.

Eventually they will fit us all out with cool little crystals in our palms to 'track our vitals', that will glow when we hit thirty and then it's a free carousel ride to paradise!

9 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

Eventually they will fit us all out with cool little crystals in our palms to 'track our vitals', that will glow when we hit thirty and then it's a free carousel ride to paradise!

I just watched Logan's Run a few weeks ago.

Those searches are also quite heavy on the server. Limits allow hosting on cheaper servers and not ruining user experience

7 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Once they get us okay with driverless cars, they'll persuade us to all move into the cities and live in efficient mass housing. Everything we need will be provided by government processing centers and we won't have to venture outdoors into the increasingly hostile climate.

Have a read of The Machine Stops, a short story by E M Forster written in the early part of the 20th Century.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops

First studied this at school in the pre-internet days, scary how much has become reality.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, vince14 said:

Fun Fact - the data generated from those 'select all traffic lights' authentication methods is being used to help programme driverless cars.

My hope is that some day everyone who is not an automotive enthusiast will end up in an automated driving car....and that a software glitch will result in said drivers no longer existing.

This will free up enormous road and parking space for us gear heads!!!!

:evil_laugh:

5 hours ago, ringleheim said:

My hope is that some day everyone who is not an automotive enthusiast will end up in an automated driving car....and that a software glitch will result in said drivers no longer existing.

This will free up enormous road and parking space for us gear heads!!!!

:evil_laugh:

+1 AND get rid of the nanny’s in the computer limiting everything!