Stuka D-5: canopy with the "gunsight blister"..?

Andreas Larka

Hi guys,

I have been searching the internet and trying to find a D-5 Stuka canopy, kit or aftermarket, with the late "gunsight blister" but without results so far (in any scale). All kits seems to have the earlier version.

Any tips on how to solve this issue? Or knowledge about this hidden gem?

LSP_Squadron.jpgLSP_SA-kuva.jpg

On 4/29/2019 at 5:40 AM, Andreas Larka said:

LSP_SA-kuva.jpg

If it was me, I would probably try to do it this way:

1 - get another copy of the windscreen in case of a muckup!

2 - chain drill out the top windscreen panel on the standard windscreen where the gunsight blister would be

3 - Use diamond/jewelers files to smooth out that panel, up to but not including the braces around it 

4 - Use tape or sheet styrene or even cardboard and make a template of the shape of that upper panel

5 - take that template and transfer the shape to tape (if you didnt use tape as the template already

6 - use tape template to transfer shape to some clear Squadron type clear sheet and cut the shape out

7 - make a mold of the gun-sight blister out of wood or other material followed by filling and sanding to shape to make a smooth master 

8 - make a small jig of wood or plastic (or even metal strip?) that you could sandwich around the base of the clear part to keep the base shape fairly flat

9 -  put the newly made master on a wooden dowel or other, with enough height to pull down over the top of it

10 - use a candle or other heat source to smash mold the clear sheet over the mold. < This may take several attempts before you get one you are happy with.

I know it probably might be easier said than done, but beyond vacing your own copy of the blister, Im not sure there are many other options. 

You also may be able to possibly make a smash mold of the blister and then cut out the shape of the base of the blister shape in the clear sheet and glue it to the blister to the sheet using a clear adhesive of your choice.

If it was me:

I would do similar to Brian, but in a different order.

First, see if you can carve a blister shape, and try your hand at smash molding. Cut it to size and see if it will fit on the frames (at least it was an add on on the real thing, that helps!)

Once you are satisfied you have a part that looks the part, and you have that spare canopy, then and only then do the chain drill thing to the original canopy and file to clean up the opening, and glue on and add rivet/bolt detail. 

Clear cover appears to just fit over/attach to standard windsheild framing?

So - cling film over kit part as barrier.

Blob of Milliput/Epoxy Putty roughly shaped and applied over relevant area to set with appropriate curves.

Remove once hard (and remove cling film) - final shape and polish.

Plunge mould as suggested (or use vacuum forming machine if available).

Trim - apply to pre-painted windshield with PVA or clear acrylic varnish.

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Clear cover appears to just fit over/attach to standard windsheild framing?

So - cling film over kit part as barrier.

Blob of Milliput/Epoxy Putty roughly shaped and applied over relevant area to set with appropriate curves.

Remove once hard (and remove cling film) - final shape and polish.

Plunge mould as suggested (or use vacuum forming machine if available).

Trim - apply to pre-painted windshield with PVA or clear acrylic varnish.

Iain

I think Iain might have it there with a combo of our ideas.....

Using Milliput or the like as a master, then vac molding the part with the master containing the flat panel part as well, then trimming to fit after molding might be the best way.