Special Hobby Mustang Mk I & P-51

MikeC

I love the Mustang but I question whether a major Japanese manufacturer like Hasegawa would consider early P-51’s worth while.  I think the market is a lot more limited than the Merlin, package/Merlin planes.

I vaguely remember a really old FROG one which I dismissed as a kid because it didn't look like a 'real' (i.e. a bubbletop) Mustang.

There are some really excellent photos of the P-51 at Chino, currently in RAF colours having done a stint as a white stripey spined USAAF olive drab attack plane.

I have to admit that its lines have grown on me and I'd definitely give a 1/32 rendition a good home. And it's the original design with its own charm.

So if anyone who is curating the moulding tool is reading this - please go for it!

2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't HKM or ZM doing a P-51B??  I could well see the aftermarket doing resin conversions to Allison engine Mustang  for that.

Cheers,

Michael

There are plenty of big changes between the P-51A and P-51B, moreso than between the B and D. . The fuselage in the cockpit area is lower on the earlier machine, so all the rear fuselage is different, and the radiator housing is also unique. Not an easy conversion by any means.

7 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

There are plenty of big changes between the P-51A and P-51B, moreso than between the B and D. . The fuselage in the cockpit area is lower on the earlier machine, so all the rear fuselage is different, and the radiator housing is also unique. Not an easy conversion by any means.

I do know that the radiator was different, but I didn't know the rear fuselage had been altered too.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Michael