Special Hobby Mustang Mk I & P-51

MikeC

Mooted a while back, if I remember correctly. I'm wondering if these might not be resurrected Hobbycraft toolings, but that's really Special Hobby's usual style. Looking forward to seeing what eventuates, whatever the case!

Kev

39 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Mooted a while back, if I remember correctly. I'm wondering if these might not be resurrected Hobbycraft toolings, but that's really Special Hobby's usual style. Looking forward to seeing what eventuates, whatever the case!

Kev

Correct ... circa 2012/2013 ... Super Hobby (online retail) has them on their stock list as a future item in 2012 and they're in the LSP Database with the same description as at 2013.

No indication of when Hannants posted the kit to their inventory as a future release either?!

IIRC the reviews I've read on the Hobbycraft kit weren't all that bad ... so it would be nice to see them re-popped ... as by the time I went hunting for pre-P.51D offerings, they were scarce as rocking horse poo.

Rog :)

^^^ If I,m not mistaken, Special Hobby did a release of Eduard's 1/48 scale Focke Wulf Fw.190A-6 about 4 or 5 years ago and they also did a release of a 1/48 scale Junkers Ju.88c night fighter, that was in actual fact the ICM model.  Beyond that, I remember nothing about Special Hobby using other companies' molds.

I hope this is their own kit.  I would like to see their take on this aircraft and I would like to see them go all in with the after-market stuff like they did with the Hawker Tempest kits.

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

I was browsing Hannants website (as one does) and spotted these:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH32005

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH32012

New to me - anyone know any more?  I'm certainly in for an Allison Pony or two.

MikeC these are old SH plans. Announcement was 7 years ago but i assume that they stopped developing this as LSP_Kevin is saying.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/P-51A-Mustang.html

Good news is that Zoukei Mura is working on P-51B/C.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/77743-zoukei-mura-2019-2020-new-p-51bc-bf-109g-and-ar-234-announced/

2 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

^^^ If I,m not mistaken, Special Hobby did a release of Eduard's 1/48 scale Focke Wulf Fw.190A-6 about 4 or 5 years ago and they also did a release of a 1/48 scale Junkers Ju.88c night fighter, that was in actual fact the ICM model.  Beyond that, I remember nothing about Special Hobby using other companies' molds.

I hope this is their own kit.  I would like to see their take on this aircraft and I would like to see them go all in with the after-market stuff like they did with the Hawker Tempest kits.

SH also re-popped the Czech Model F-80 and T-33 kits.

50 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I think Czech Model may even be another MPM brand (as was Special Hobby, until they recently rebranded everything under the SH label).

Kev

That's true.

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

AFAIK it is for the simple reason they had made the molds. 

Interesting, as our database lists the SH kits as Czech Model molds. Do we have it backwards? I was never aware of the SH kits until long after the Czech models kits had been released.

14 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

"eventuates" hmmm.  I guess that saved typing a word.  LOL

Rick

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Special Hobby changed its name from something else I can’t recall offhand, but they’re the ones who made the Czech Models molds.  Czech Models was just a marketing name used by MMD.  No such company existed in the Czech Republic.

That makes sense. So just MMD commissioning and branding an MPM product, which they then released under their own Special Hobby label. Subsequently, MPM integrated most (if not all) of its various brands, and switched to calling itself Special Hobby. Or at least, that's how I understand what went on.

Kev

• 8 months later...