1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

On 12/11/2019 at 12:10 AM, MikeMaben said:

...also some fuel overflow ports ...

6zbSkvA.jpg

They were tubes so I doubt they were flush with the surface.  :shrug:

Hmmm... I think there are slight indentations molded at those spots.  Could they be represented as holes?  Anyone have any photographic representation of these ports?

After the pre-shading has been established, it's time to apply the camo colors.  The lower fuselage of White 8 appears to be the yellow-green variant of RLM 76 (aka RLM 84), in contrast to the standard light blue RLM 76 of the tail unit undersides.  For this color, I am using AK Real Colors RLM 76 Late War Version, which is very similar to Mr Hobby Aqueous H74 Sky (Duck Egg Green), which I also have.  The color is mixed with Tamiya Lacquer thinner at a 2:1 thinner-to-paint ratio and shot through an Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush.
IMG-6222.jpg
IMG-6224.jpg

The color is built up slowly, keeping an eye on the pre-shading effects.
IMG-6225.jpg
IMG-6226.jpg

I want to get to a point where the pre-shading is just barely noticeable, with the understanding that there will be more layers of weathering yet to come.
IMG-6227.jpg

I like how the AK Real Colors spray.  They behave very much like Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous and most colors feature a semi-gloss finish instead of flat, which helps reduce the amount of clear gloss that will need to be applied for the upcoming pastel wash.
IMG-6229.jpg
IMG-6230.jpg
IMG-6232.jpg

I am going to try and use a template for the demarcation between the upper and lower fuselage colors.

That looks really terrific John, I like how the very random under-spray (I tend not to use "pre-shade" for things like this, since it doesn't follow traditional panel lines) actually shows through. It makes for a very believable tone after weathering. Im going to try this on my next build, but will try to ease back on my normal ham-fistedness, as I invariably lay the top coat on too heavy and the undercoat doesnt show. 

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I invariably lay the top coat on too heavy and the undercoat doesnt show. 

I sometimes mix some clear with the color to create a toner rather than straight paint.

12 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Anyone have any photographic representation of these ports?

qDCb07h.jpg

Looks like it protrudes a little.

Thanks guys!  I finally got to put some camo colors on the fuselage!

I thought the best way of capturing the demarcation between the upper and lower camo colors was to use a mask.  I scanned the 332xxx profiles from the JaPo book, scaled them in AutoCAD to be approximately 1/32 scale and cut masks using the Silhouette cutter.  I didn't want a hard demarcation so instead of sticking the mask directly on the model, I used bits of Blue Tack to lift the mask off the surface of the model to get a hard but still sprayed edge.
IMG-6233.jpg

First, the RLM 81 Brown Violet (AK Real Colors) is sprayed.
IMG-6235.jpg

And then the RLM 83 Dark Green (Mr Hobby Aqueous).
IMG-6236.jpg

Remove the masks to reveal...  ACK!  Overspray (or is it UNDERspray?) leaked under the mask and pooled around the bits of Blue Tack.  Bummer... I guess my thin paint mixes aren't the best fit for this type of masking method.
IMG-6237.jpg

Some detail airbrushing was needed to correct the issue.  The bad thing was that I had to add some layers to the bottom color, which increased the intensity of the color and dialed down the pre-shading work a little too much.  You can see the difference between the nose and the fuselage.
IMG-6239.jpg

On the starboard side, I thickened up the paint mixture a bit and made sure that I sprayed perpendicular to the mask but I still got some overspray that had to be corrected like the port side.
IMG-6245.jpg

The white fuselage crosses were painted using home-cut masks.
IMG-6246.jpg

The hand-sprayed "884" codes on the rear fuselage were painted using clear acetate masks attached using Blue Tack bits, similar to the fuselage.  However, I thickened the paint mix even more to avoid any overspray.  The gaps in the mask were touched up with some fine masking work.
IMG-6248.jpg
IMG-6249.jpg

Removing the masking from the tail unit, we can see where we currently stand in the painting of White 8.
IMG-6252.jpg
IMG-6257.jpg
IMG-6254.jpg
IMG-6256.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Awesome work John!! How was your experience with Ak rlm81? I had troubles to spray it in thin layers, it seemed to more coarser graied than the others i used!!! And sometimes it seemed to stuck on the tip of my airbrush (eclipse) even if i thinned down with hardware laquer thinner!! Dont know...a bad bunch???

Anyway, i love your work!!!

John

P.S. what brand of pastel chalk you use??

On 11/30/2019 at 5:13 AM, Thunnus said:

I got a surprise package in the post today.  A prototype landing gear replacement set for the Hasegawa kit!  As this is not released to the public yet, I've been asked to give an evaluation and keep the source anonymous for now.  :shutup:

The landing gear legs are basically identical to the kit gear legs,

IMG-6087.jpg

I'm surprised that the metal part isn't a smaller diameter than the plastic kit part as I suspect this has to be beefed up to support the model.

Not that I have checked any references of course, just instinct

Richard

Good work, John! A shame about the camouflage masking issues, but I suspect a part of your problem might have been that your Blu-tac was a little too thick, keeping your masks higher off the painting surface than they needed to be. I've found that to achieve that soft demarcation effect, the masks only needed to be raised by about 1mm at the most.

Kev

John, beautiful work.

I'm sorry to be the bug stuck in your clearcoat, but check the vertical demarcation between your 76/ "84'.

Your decal sheet shows the change from 76 to "84" should occur 1 fuselage station further aft. The "84" section should go under the fin fairing.

Sorry.

I'll see myself out.

Edited by Kais