P.S. John sorry to hijack your topic!!!!:ph34r:

Edited by zaxos345

8 hours ago, Vincent said:

Hi

Wing root fairings on the K4 were made of plywood, not metal

Only the front part of the fairing was metal

;)

V

Oy,... all that work (and corrections) for naught!  :BANGHEAD2:  I didn't quite like how the wing root chipping turned out anyway so happy to do another repair! 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:38 AM, Antonio Argudo said:

terrific job John , keep the good, here is a great reference picture of wing root chipping effect, cheers

24129848-10155594613628941-1427705485443

Is that and Erla??? The canopy is wrong but the cowling gap?

Edited by TwoHands
Second thoughts

Thanks guys!  I addressed the alligator cracks in the wing root the old-fashioned way: sandpaper.  Gotta do it dry because moisture will set off the hairspray underneath and make the paint soft.  And then I find out that the wing roots on the K-4 are actually made of wood, not metal so no metal chipping!  Hairspray chipping removes paint in chunks, which creates an uneven surface.  Sponge chipping adds paint, which also creates an uneven surface.  So I used sandpaper to smooth things down to a reasonable level and then shot it with primer, a little on the thick side, to fill in the voids and edges.  Confining my work area using masking introduced its own hairy adventures...
IMG-6351.jpg

But I eventually got both sides repaired.  In the meantime, I was applying the decals so I got that done too.
IMG-6352.jpg
IMG-6353.jpg

I applied a little bit of sponge chipping to the wing right next to the root but kept it minimal for now.  I got nervous that I would somehow mess up the wing roots again and I didn't want to go backwards in this build anymore.
IMG-6357.jpg
IMG-6358.jpg

So the markings are done and sealed with a light coat of gloss.  The next step forward is to do a panel wash.  I mix my own washes using pastel chalk and water.
IMG-6359.jpg
IMG-6362.jpg

I used a dark brown wash for the under surfaces and upper grey areas.
IMG-6363.jpg
IMG-6365.jpg
IMG-6368.jpg
IMG-6372.jpg

A more blackish shade of brown is used on the dark green areas.
IMG-6373.jpg
IMG-6374.jpg
IMG-6379.jpg

The panel wash is finished.  I'm going to sleep on it and take a fresh look tomorrow to make sure that I remove any smudges or excess wash that I may have missed.
IMG-6375.jpg

The next step, besides wiping off all of the dust and paper towel particles, is to do some airbrush post-shading.  Especially on the bottom.
IMG-6376.jpg
IMG-6382.jpg
IMG-6378.jpg

Hi John, lovely  progres! wanted to advise you about the "pressluft fur mg"  stencil, it is on the wrong place, it was on the lower starboard fuselage  side, however  I couldn't see it applied  on any of my "K"  reference pictures, or late models, only in this 109g10 :huh:

Screenshot-1900.png

38.jpg

52959394-10216811799303037-1557242402933

Screenshot-1901.png

Guest Vincent
On 12/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, zaxos345 said:

What about the wing root fairings on the G-6 or G-14????? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

John

P.S. John sorry to hijack your topic!!!!:ph34r:

Plywood fairing started to appear on the G6, around January 1944 for the MTT plants. Other manufacturers might have produced metal ones longer, not sure

Guest Vincent

Antonio : the stencil is at the correct position

On the K4, the 2 compressed air bottles for the canon were in the left wing, inside what used the be the 20mm ammo bin

Edited by Vincent

A great build and a geat thread...! Please keep the "hair splitting" going, this is exactly what I like...details!

On the fairings...I think it would look good if some rubbed off sections would be visible where the wood shows from underneath...like on the pilot seat. Just my opinion...

cheers

Uwe

Thanks guys!  So the Compressed Air stencil is in the right location?

28 minutes ago, anj4de said:

A great build and a geat thread...! Please keep the "hair splitting" going, this is exactly what I like...details!

On the fairings...I think it would look good if some rubbed off sections would be visible where the wood shows from underneath...like on the pilot seat. Just my opinion...

cheers

Uwe

I was thinking along those same lines and decided against it just because I wanted to keep the build moving forward.  It's awkward to get in that wing root area so instead of establishing a wood color base and exposing it with hairspray or Micromesh, I could possibly do something afterward with pencils, dry-brushing or the sponge.