1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments guys!  I'm sure you'll be hearing from the maker of the landing gear replacements very soon!

Here are the RLM 76 parts after they've been given a brown pastel wash.  You can now start to see the rivet detail that was added to many of the parts.
IMG-6124.jpg

The prop blades have been painted, chipped and given a few coats of salt fading.
IMG-6129.jpg
IMG-6131.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Thunnus said:

I messed up the windshield.  When trying to attach the armored glass, the capillary action of the Tamiya Extra Thin seeped in and made a mess of things.  Thankfully, Hasegawa supplied a spare windshield.

IMG-6092.jpg

If you ever have to do that again (clear part on clear part) use Future/Klear or UV glue. This is a less risky approach. I like what I saw up to now... :clap2:

Thanks guys!  Thank you Mark, for that detail on the landing gear indicators on the upper wing!

A question... Vincent K was kind enough to send me some stencil decals from the MDC resin cockpit set.  It includes some decals for the exterior.  Does anyone know which port the blue/red circular stencil decal is for?  I don't have the instructions, unfortunately.

IMG-5635.jpg

The aftermarket landing gear legs have been painted.  I added the brake line spanning the retracting oleo section.  I decided to go dark grey on the legs so the detail doesn't quite pop.
IMG-6141.jpg
IMG-6142.jpg

The Barracuda resin wheels have been painted as well.  I'll probably do one more round of weathering to tone down the white stenciling.
IMG-6145.jpg
IMG-6146.jpg

After spraying the canopy frames dark grey (RLM 66), I spray the frames in black.  I want to make sure that the frames are opaque.  Nothing says, "Hi, I'm a plastic model!" than light shining through thinly-painted canopy frames!
IMG-6148.jpg

I'm also settling on the exterior colors using my 262 engine nacelle as a paint mule.
IMG-6150.jpg

RLM 76 Version 2 Light Blue - AK Real Colors
RLM 76 Late War Variation Yellow/Green - AK Real Colors
RLM 81 Version 3 Brown/Violet - AK Real Colors
RLM 75 Grey Violet - Mr Hobby Aqueous
RLM 83 Dark Green - Mr Hobby Aqueous

The lighter grey is a Tamiya shade that I don't quite like so I'll have to revisit that color.

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks for checking in guys!

The tail on this particular aircraft is colored differently than the rest of the aircraft, perhaps a replacement?  And since it involves masking hard-edged mottles, I thought it would be easier to paint the tail now before the wings and elevators are glued into place.  I can also practice my new mottling preshade technique.

First I highlight the panel lines and other details in black.
IMG-6153.jpg

Using a brillo scrubbing pad, I establish the first stage mottle, which is a diffused effect.
IMG-6154.jpg

With a artist's template for random hole patterns, I get a second later of harder edged mottling.
IMG-6155.jpg

Over this preshading pattern, I spray my Light Blue (RLM 76).
IMG-6158.jpg

The Light Blue is masked off and the tail unit is painted Grey (RLM 75)

I scaled up the tail mottle pattern from the JaPo 109K book to approximately 1/32 scale and used it trace a mask in AutoCAD to export to my Silhouette cutter.
Ja-Po-109-K-035.jpg
IMG-6161.jpg

Here is the tail with the final Dark Green (RLM 83).
IMG-6163.jpg
IMG-6164.jpg

The black swastika is bordered in white and such a thin border is a paint to mask to I'll probably use a decal.  The 332884 mask for the tail did not accurately resolve so I'm going to try and cut some new masks.  Otherwise, I can also resort to decals.