1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

I've glued on the supercharger intake.  I added a weld seam using stretched sprue, which will get sanded down a bit.
IMG-6089.jpg
IMG-6090.jpg

I messed up the windshield.  When trying to attach the armored glass, the capillary action of the Tamiya Extra Thin seeped in and made a mess of things.  Thankfully, Hasegawa supplied a spare windshield.
IMG-6092.jpg

I've glued the backplate onto the spinner and painted it to match.
IMG-6093.jpg

Prior to the windshield mishap, I was gearing up to attach the clear parts and glued in the instrument panel.  A little delay to see if I can salvage the armored glass that goes behind the windshield.
IMG-6094.jpg
IMG-6095.jpg

9 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I got a surprise package in the post today.  A prototype landing gear replacement set for the Hasegawa kit!  As this is not released to the public yet, I've been asked to give an evaluation and keep the source anonymous for now.  :shutup:

IMG-6084.jpg

The landing gear struts are an ingenious mixed media product comprised of a stainless steel tube core, which lends strength to the legs and also gives the oleos a shiny metal finish without having to paint it.  The rest of the landing gear leg is molded in resin using the kit landing gear as a master mold.  As you can see, the metal extends into the mounting peg, which should make the legs significantly stiffer/stronger than plastic or pure resin legs.  The molding edge is thoughtfully placed so that is will be hidden from view by the landing gear covers.
IMG-6085.jpg
IMG-6086.jpg

The landing gear legs are basically identical to the kit gear legs, with the exception of the additional tow eye that was placed at the wheel end of the leg.  All of the mounting tabs and sockets are replicated as to work seamless with the kit parts.  I've already verified that these fit very positively into the wing bottoms.  Casting is of the highest quality with no visible roughness or air bubbles.
IMG-6087.jpg
IMG-6088.jpg

I love the ingenuity of the mixed media approach.  Metal legs are nice but they can be a pain to clean up.  The resin is much easier to handle and the metal tube gives the legs an upgrade in strength. Double thumbs-up from me! 

holy crap they look good!!!

whoever he is, tell him to get them to market ASAP

oh, and get a decent website that you order from worldwide as well

seriously they look gorgeous

now back to my popcorn eating - enjoying this build immensely!

Thanks for the comments!  

I replaced the aerial attachment tab with a piece of brass sheet.  Filippo suggested that I replaced the rudder tabs but I'm not really motivated to do it at this point in the build.  But I'll think about it.
IMG-6101.jpg
IMG-6102.jpg

The Revi 16 gun sight is finally glued into place prior to the attachment of the clear parts.
IMG-6103.jpg
IMG-6104.jpg

I got lazy and ordered a set of Eduard masks for the clear parts.  As usual, the fit is PERFECT!  This build will have the canopy in the closed position so the windshield and canopy are glued into place permanently.
IMG-6106.jpg
IMG-6107.jpg

You can see the modifications/corrections I've done on the bottom per Vincent K's excellent article.
IMG-6110.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 1:52 AM, MikeMaben said:

I've never seen that to be the case.  Do you have photos that show that ?

1VGfiQJ.jpg

nv173vG.jpg

My mistake, not all 109's had tinted plex covers. The K-4's appear to have had tinted covers, as well as some late G-6's, G-14's and G-10's.

G-6/G-14:

6754443985_f44a08329b_b_zpsbhburiwr.jpg

_57-10_edited-2_zpsgtzd2vdk.jpg

6536467087_f30324cd46_o_zpsod2ypin4.png

G-10:

780691_zpsvbwigeba.jpg

9458414788_d8435955f6_h_zpsrrslfrkc.jpg

5228060927_eee89bcbd6_b_zpsgsf2fbhi.jpg

ANR%20G-10%20code%203-5%20W%20Nr%2049140

5159048112_87f2083e11_b_zps09udbebl.jpg

K-4:

1-Bf-109K4-11.JG3-Y1I-Martin-Deskau-WNr3

1-Bf-109K4-10.JG77-W17-Heinrich-Munninge

HTH,

D.B.

Thanks guys!

Now it's time to start painting.  I left off this summer trying to re-think my pre-shading technique.  In the past, I free-handed black mottling to impart some tonal variation to the preceding camouflage colors.  Basically an inverse of the popular black-basing technique.  I wanted to stay with this personally-developed approach but I started experimenting with different masks to randomize the edges of my mottle pattern.

So... using a brillo pad and some artist templates, I came up with this...
IMG-6112.jpg

This technique utilizes highly thinned mixtures of paint, applied in successive layers to build up opacity and tweak the pre-shading effects to the desired level.  For the RLM 76 Light Blue, I am using AK Real Colors and the following photo is at about the 50% stage of coverage.
IMG-6113.jpg

Eventually, the pre-shading is just barely noticeable and I stop. Keep in mind that this is just the first stage in the weathering process and I don't need the pre-shading to accomplish everything. Just enough to  complement the upcoming layers.
IMG-6114.jpg
IMG-6115.jpg

Some pre-shading work on the drop tank...
IMG-6116.jpg

13 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

My mistake, not all 109's had tinted plex covers. The K-4's appear to have had tinted covers, as well as some late G-6's, G-14's and G-10's.

I think that's the case. Considering the disorganized condition of production towards

the end of the war, different suppliers were used depending on the manufacturing site.

Thanks for the help D.B.

Edited by MikeMaben

The 109 looks excellent John!

Man, those mixed-media gear look fantastic!  That is exactly the approach I use when making my own gear to correct stance, strength ect, ect; just take the normal OOB gear and then I normally inert a stainless tube for the oleo (normally a "turkey injection needle". This would save a ton of work!   Looks like a really handy product.

It might even be better still, if he could offer the gear with the stainless tube and the resin parts separate, so the stainless part could slid up and down in the gear, letting the modeler choose the stance/length of the gear (in flight, on landing approach, fully compressed ect, ect) as they needed for any situation.