1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

Nice work.  I like your problem-solving.

'little circular discs to the rack mounting posts.'

They are rubber bushings.  Much like what you can find on a shock absorber of your car.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thanks for checking in guys!  I appreciate the input!

The joint between the forward and rear fuselage parts has been cleaned up on both halves.  I've re-scribed the panel line too.  I'm going to leave it there for now until I resolve the canopy situation.
IMG-5535.jpg
IMG-5537.jpg

Here's the canopy frame folded but not yet glued. It's reasonably close but I don't think this is going to cut it.
IMG-5540.jpg

Gluing down the top of the canopy to the side frames improves things but it's just not square enough to sit flush.  And being a delicate metal frame, it's hard to make adjustments without throwing other areas off.  I think this is beyond my pay grade.
IMG-5542.jpg

Here is the kit canopy as a comparison.  I'm thinking that I can round off the top corners of the rear canopy and the fuselage from the canopy to about one panel line back.  And then polish up the canopy afterwards.
IMG-5545.jpg

For back-up, I have a copy of the Revell G-10 canopy that I might be able to use.  It is narrower at the base but I think I can use some hot water and coax it a little wider just in case something goes wrong with the Hasegawa canopy.  I'll set aside the metal canopy frame for now.
IMG-5546.jpg

I've added an actuator to the rear of the oil cooler housing.

IMG-5538.jpg

When I designed the PE canopy, it was made to fit the Hasegawa G-6 or G-14 kits. For some reason Hasegawa decided to make the whole cockpit area of the K-4 kit different. The outer edges of the cockpit sill are wider apart on the K-4 kit and the top of the spine is "squarer". So, the PE canopy won't fit in the closed position, but you may get away with it in the open position.

One other thing to keep in mind is that, according to the manual, the access door behind the headrest should be just a 4-corner trapeze, instead of the 6-corner "trapese with cut top corners" provided in the kit.

HTH

Radu

Nicely done.

'I've added an actuator to the rear of the oil cooler housing.'

You'll need to cut a rectangular hole thru the bottom panel behind of the rear screen to accommodate the actuator.

Sincerely,

Mark

7 hours ago, Radub said:

When I designed the PE canopy, it was made to fit the Hasegawa G-6 or G-14 kits. For some reason Hasegawa decided to make the whole cockpit area of the K-4 kit different. The outer edges of the cockpit sill are wider apart on the K-4 kit and the top of the spine is "squarer". So, the PE canopy won't fit in the closed position, but you may get away with it in the open position.

One other thing to keep in mind is that, according to the manual, the access door behind the headrest should be just a 4-corner trapeze, instead of the 6-corner "trapese with cut top corners" provided in the kit.

HTH

Radu

Thank you for that explanation, Radu.  I don't feel so bad now that I couldn't get it to fit.  It's a nifty little piece of work but I'm not very good at imparting curvature onto PE parts and there are some subtle curvatures along that rear edge of the canopy frame that I just couldn't get right.

And thank you about that note about the access door.  I'm aware of that difference as noted in some earlier posts.  I've already cut out a preliminary access door from brass sheet.

7 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Nicely done.

'I've added an actuator to the rear of the oil cooler housing.'

You'll need to cut a rectangular hole thru the bottom panel behind of the rear screen to accommodate the actuator.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Mark... I got lucky and the actuator ends before it touches the roof.  So I don't have to cut a hole to accommodate it.

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

And thank you about that note about the access door.  I'm aware of that difference as noted in some earlier posts.  I've already cut out a preliminary access door from brass sheet.

Sorry, I was going somewhere with that observation about the door, but got diverted. :-) I think that the "squareish" shape of the door might have caused Hasegawa to think that spine/canopy should also have a "squareish" shape (even though they still used the early door). In any case, that whole area is a terrible mess.

Radu

1 hour ago, Fencer-1 said:

The 109G/K oil cooler flap actuator located actually not at the center of flap. It is moved to about 1/3rd right side. The only Erla G-10 model had it in the center.

32934563547_4eeb63729a_o.jpg

Wow... great shot!  Thanks for that info, Alexey!  I'll take that into consideration and modify accordingly!  So much expertise here at LSP!

Using the template that RB Productions provided in the photoetch canopy set, I set about to correct the overly square fuselage spine.
IMG-5577.jpg
IMG-5578.jpg

The error is very slight in my view and looks to be easily correctable.  A few swipes with the sanding stick gets me close to the desired shape.
IMG-5579.jpg

I want to do the same with the canopy but I noticed that there is a flange on the starboard edge of the canopy that is meant to be a gluing surface for mounting the canopy in the open position.  I can properly position the canopy in the closed position for the correction so off it comes via razor saw.
IMG-5580.jpg

After preliminary shaping, I place the uncorrected canopy on the fuselage.  The difference is VERY slight and hardly noticeable although it will be more so with the canopy painted.
IMG-5582.jpg
IMG-5583.jpg
IMG-5584.jpg

I'm pretty close to being done with the re-shaping of the fuselage.
IMG-5586.jpg

I haven't put the sanding stick on the canopy yet but the work should be pretty minor.  Waiting to get a Novus plastic polish set delivered.
IMG-5581.jpg

Dear All

Learning a lot from the K-4 with this outstanding WIP, many thanks to All

By the way, I've always wanted to know what is written in japanese through this underside plan view attached to the Model Art famous book #290 Bf109 G/K Augsbourg Eagle, does anyone of you could be so kind to translate what is red surrounded ? TIA- Raph

dpodjz.jpg

Guest Vincent
3 hours ago, rafju said:

Dear All

By the way, I've always wanted to know what is written in japanese through this underside plan view attached to the Model Art famous book #290 Bf109 G/K Augsbourg Eagle, does anyone of you could be so kind to translate what is red surrounded ? TIA- Raph

dpodjz.jpg

Can't help with the translation but the plan represents a wing produced by the WNF or Diana plant at the end of the war with the aileron compensator that was supposed to be installed on all late 109, including the K4, but only made it's way on some of the WNF G10. The oval hatch is also documented on the K4 parts manual but serves no particular documented function.

For the K4, the interesting bit is that the oval hatch is documented under both wings, the right wing one supposed to give access to the o2 filling valve but we know from photographic evidence that it was also produced with the regular round hinged hatch

Edited by Vincent/MDC

18 hours ago, rafju said:

Dear All

By the way, I've always wanted to know what is written in japanese through this underside plan view attached to the model Art famous book #290 Bf109 G/K Augsbourg Eagle, does anyone of you could be so kind to translate what is red surrounded ? TIA- RaphM

dpodjz.jpg

Hi, rafju   I just join to LSA  member last week because I think  LSP is one of the  best forum around ,    I  can translate them to English  since Japanese is my first language,   Right side top you circled one said  " Aileron balance tub" (Omit on production type?)  the bottom one said "Compressed oxygen refill hatch"

I have the same model Art famous book and I think this book is still very much accurate even published in 1987 and Lots of valuable information about Bf 109 G/K

I hope it can help you and sorry for my english.

Regard 

Matsu