1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

Guest Vincent
27 minutes ago, rafju said:

Hi All

what an interesting thread, great job John @Thunnus, love that!

Vincent, I remember reading in a Kagero book (TopDrawings 67) that those air bottles used by the Mk 108 were in the opposite wing which contain the O2 bottle, you can confirm about all please. TIA -

Raph

The 2L O2 chain spheres FL30380-8 (3 pieces) were in the right wing, near the wingtip  and the Compressed air bottles for the Mk108 were in the left wing, inside the redundant 20mm ammo tray :

02.png

Edited by Vincent/MDC

It feels like I'm in some sort of holding pattern on both builds.  I've got the K-4 data stencils to wait upon and also a reference that I've always wanted to get my hands on:109-K-Cover.jpg

So I looked around and tried to find some of the small things that need to be done.  I boxed in the MK108 cannon chute with plastic card and topped it with piece of brass sheet.
IMG-5498.jpg

This will fit underneath the wing spar structure and keep the spar from being seen.
IMG-5499.jpg
IMG-5500.jpg

The oil cooler housing needs some work like thinning the trailing edges of the fairing.
IMG-5494.jpg
IMG-5496.jpg

I've added the small drain pipe to the front of the oil cooler in a way that I can leave the oil cooler intake detached.
IMG-5509.jpg

I'll be able to do any fill work required around the base of the oil cooler after it is attached to the fuselage.
IMG-5513.jpg

And then the oil cooler intake can be slipped on afterwards.
IMG-5510.jpg

A preliminary look at the drop tank and ETC rack.
IMG-5507.jpg

I've filled in the forward-most panel line on the tank with black CA.  The molded strap has been removed and will be replaced by a strap fashioned from brass sheet.
IMG-5515.jpg

I've glued the front and rear fuselage pieces together.  Mostly to get a stronger bond.
IMG-5516.jpg

The fuselage halves were then taped together.  I thought it'd be better for the glue to cure with the fuselage halves mated together.
IMG-5517.jpg

Some possible candidates for shimming have been identified.
IMG-5518.jpg
IMG-5519.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

'The molded strap has been removed and will be replaced by a strap fashioned from brass sheet.'

I've done this.  It results in a tricky connection.

DSCN7090_zpsc60ec4ed.jpg

There is an actuator inside the flap.  I can pull up a page from the Tech manual if you're interested.

Love what you're doing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Vincent

You can see a good drawing of the actuator arm :

cooler.png

Operated by a hydraulic ram (part 13) which itself was controlled by a thermostatically controlled valve (part 6). Pretty much automated and very effective

Edited by Vincent/MDC

9 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

The stencils are in the mail, first class postage, so they'll be with you fairly soon

Thank you Vincent!  I appreciate all of your input and assistance on this build!

7 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'The molded strap has been removed and will be replaced by a strap fashioned from brass sheet.'

I've done this.  It results in a tricky connection.

DSCN7090_zpsc60ec4ed.jpg

There is an actuator inside the flap.  I can pull up a page from the Tech manual if you're interested.

Love what you're doing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Drop tank - I've done something similar with the Revell G-10 tank and yes, the connection between the tank and rack can be dicey.  I need to consider strength and may forgo some accuracy to achieve it.

IMG_1530.jpg

Oil cooler flap - yes, any details would be most welcome!  Thank you Mark!  Your K-4 build is an awesome reference for me to refer to.

6 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Looks great John, 

Are you still finding it a fun build? I’m worried the Corsair has spoilt my modelling future...

Guy

Yes, it's still fun!  Not quite the perfect engineering that I find on my Corsair build but close enough that the corrective work is not frustrating at all.  In many ways, I prefer Hasegawa over Tamiya.  It's more of a blank canvas, whereas the Tamiya Corsair almost feels like I'm assembling a pre-completed model.

The connection between the ETC rack and the drop tank is pretty weak... the four supports on the tank simply touch the four posts on the rack.  So I'm going to create a pin/socket connection to provide a more positive joint. The fuel lines on the rack don't physically touch the drop tank so they are cut off and new ones made of brass tubing are inserted into the tank.
IMG-5523.jpg
IMG-5525.jpg

A strap has been fashioned from brass sheeting and I've added little circular discs to the rack mounting posts.
IMG-5528.jpg
IMG-5529.jpg

Here's the ETC rack in position on the bottom of the fuselage.
IMG-5530.jpg
IMG-5533.jpg

The drop tank in place. I've added some small dents to it.
IMG-5531.jpg
IMG-5532.jpg

I've also started playing with the RB Productions Erla canopy.  I'm not sure if this is going to work for me as it is difficult to fold it in such a way that it will fit exactly onto the fuselage.
IMG-5520.jpg
IMG-5522.jpg

Another complication is that the K-4 kit has an inaccurately squared off top of fuselage in the vicinity of the canopy.  RB Productions provides a template to help the modeler re-shape it but I'm screwed if I re-shape the fuselage and botch the fiddly photoetch canopy.
IMG-5527.jpg

The kit canopy has the inaccurately squared off profile on the back edge but it fits the unmodified fuselage.  It may be possible to re-shape the kit canopy to fit the corrected outline but the canopy edge would be thinner, which may be noticeable if the canopy is posed open.  Some contemplating is in order...