1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

Guest Vincent

Here, on this G10, you can a variation of the breather placement

detail_bf109g10_13-557x343.jpg

On the K4 it was supposed to come out in a perfect round hole separate of the ejection chute. On this G10 they share the same cut. The panel behing the chutes is a modern piece and should not be used as reference for a K4

Thanks for the great comments and the additional info about the G-10 breather placement!

And thanks to the generosity of an LSP member, I've received MDC resin exhaust chutes so I don't have to make my own.  Thanks Damian! These have a curved surface on the downwind edge of the chute that would've been hard to replicate.
IMG-5471.jpg
IMG-5472.jpg

I've performed some corrections to the central belly portion based on an excellent article by Vince K.  These include filling in the vent in the center, opening up the Mk 108 chute and putting in some breather outlets for the engine.  Some questions were asked along the way regarding components of the correction and Vince himself was kind enough to elaborate on the reasoning behind these changes.  As you can see, the Mk108 chute needs to be blocked off since the wing spar part is visible.
IMG-5480.jpg

The exhaust tips have been previously hollowed out.  There exhaust deflectors supplied as separate parts in this kit but they are on the thick side.
IMG-5481.jpg
IMG-5482.jpg

Instead of trying to thin them, I thought it would be easier to replace them with brass sheeting.
IMG-5484.jpg

The port side deflector has a bend to deflect the hot exhausts away from the supercharger intake.
IMG-5485.jpg

Much better in-scale representation, I think!
IMG-5486.jpg
IMG-5487.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Guest Vincent
11 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks for the great comments and the additional info about the G-10 breather placement!

And thanks to the generosity of an LSP member, I've received resin exhaust chutes so I don't have to make my own.  Thanks Damian! These have a curved surface on the downwind edge of the chute that would've been hard to replicate.
IMG-5471.jpg
IMG-5472.jpg

I've performed some corrections to the central belly portion based on an excellent article by Vince K.  These include filling in the vent in the center, opening up the Mk 108 chute and putting in some breather outlets for the engine.  Some questions were asked along the way regarding components of the correction and Vince himself was kind enough to elaborate on the reasoning behind these changes.  As you can see, the Mk108 chute needs to be blocked off since the wing spar part is visible.
IMG-5480.jpg

The exhaust tips have been previously hollowed out.  There exhaust deflectors supplied as separate parts in this kit but they are on the thick side.
IMG-5481.jpg
IMG-5482.jpg

Instead of trying to thin them, I thought it would be easier to replace them with brass sheeting.
IMG-5484.jpg

The port side deflector has a bend to deflect the hot exhausts away from the supercharger intake.
IMG-5485.jpg

Much better in-scale representation, I think!
IMG-5486.jpg
IMG-5487.jpg

Glorious work

Notice the hole behind the right side exhaust stack ? It's the blast discharger for the Mk 108 so don't fill it !

In case it's not too late, i found a spare sheet of the k4 stencils i did for mdc. If you want one, drop me your adress via PM. The circuit breaker labels are quite handy and you also get the top  wing root Mk108 air filler stencil (on the k4, the 2 compressed air bottles needed to operate the canon were stored in what used to be the 20mm ammo box on the G version. The 30mm rounds were stored in a bin above the canon

the decals are the one on the right  in this picture. I was able to get  my hands on the k4 stencil instruction so they are accurate

s-l640.jpg

you also get the warning label on the rear hatch door instructing on the battery issue and how to replace it (item 4)

Edited by Vincent/MDC

3 minutes ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Glorious work

Notice the hole behind the right side exhaust stack ? It's the blast discharger for the Mk 108 so don't fill it !

In case it's not too late, i found a spare sheet of the k4 stencils i did for mdc. If you want one, drop me your adress via PM. The circuit breaker labels are quite handy and you also get the top  wing root Mk108 air filler stencil (on the k4, the 2 compressed air bottles needed to operate the canon were stored in what used to be the 20mm ammo box on the G version. The 30mm rounds were stored in a bin above the canon

Ahhh... I was wondering about that hole so it is good to know that it is supposed to be there!  Thanks for the offer... I will PM you right away!  Thank you so much Vincent!  I love LSP!:clap2:

Regarding the MK108 shell ejection port. There is Kurfurst part catalogue (Ersatzteil-Liste) where the all removable panels presents. 

47842010881_9fa973e7f1_o.jpg

40875231263_15d392b0c8_o.jpg

47842010611_db9d1ce8db_o.jpg

The panel we interested marked by #15 and it is Recht (Right), so the shell ejection port was on the right side of the plane. MK108 itself was "laying" on the right side and shells was extracted direct downward, so wasn't difference where to guide ejection chute. The right side was more convinient for shell ejection due to fuel tank shift to the left.

Two more illustration from "Messerschmitt Bf 109 Einsatzmaschinen" book. There are some interesting details.

40875230673_fdf65eab2a_o.jpg

40875231923_f5b0e33320_o.jpg

Additional photo from manual shows ejection chute going to the right side and two filters installed on the left.

40875464033_fa54907e93_o.jpg

Edited by Fencer-1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:12 PM, Vincent/MDC said:

the 2 compressed air bottles needed to operate the canon were stored in what used to be the 20mm ammo box on the G version. 

Hi All

what an interesting thread, great job John @Thunnus, love that!

Vincent, I remember reading in a Kagero book (TopDrawings 67) that those air bottles used by the Mk 108 were in the opposite wing which contain the O2 bottle, you can confirm about all please. TIA -

Raph