Aires F4U Corsair sets for Trumpeter

smithery

I recently ordered the Aires F4U-1 Corsair cockpit set for the Trumpeter -1D kit, and I'm kind of curious to hear if anyone has expereince with the set. Could anyone shed some light as to quality, fit etc?

Same questions about the wheel bay set. I haven't ordered this one yet, but am considering it.

Many thanks.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Smithery;

Hopefully the Ripper will se this question and shed some more light on the topic, as he ended up with my Aires wheel well stuff. when I had a look at it it looked fantastic as did the cockpit. All of Aires more recent releases are the top of the resin world and they all fit really well. There was some problems with fit when it came to Aires stuff a few years back, but they seem to have all of those problems well behind them.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Hi all, In my quest to build the ultimate Corsair , I purchased both the Black Box set as well as the Aries set. I was a little disappointed by the Aries set.

In comparing the two sets, I prefer the Black Box set, and this is the one I am using. The Aries set is a scale up of their 1/48 set. The main cockpit section is modeled in a u shaped, with the bulk heads attaching to it. (this could lead to painting challenges)

One obvious error with the Aries set, is that the head rest is too small and looks out of place, as well, the level of detail seems less than the Black Box.The side walls and throttle quadrant are also simplified in look and detail , in comparison.

However,I do think that the Aries set is easier to use than the Black Box set. The Black Box set does require a bit of skill to line the sidewalls, bulkheads and floor all together.

They are both however, an improvement on the Trumpeter cockpit.

The wheel bays, in my opinion, are not a huge improvement on the orignals. The Trumpeter kit does suffer from mould release marks, and this is what you are trying to fix with the set.

Mark