Lightning (English Electric) Completed

chrish

Thank you guys, I also believe me thinking is dangerous so we’re in the same boat...while we’re in the same boat pass me a beer and some bait will you?

The damage looked worse than it was and I over reacted...as I often do. I’ve been helped out with parts and all is well... for now

I can still bugger it all up trying to get the polished metal look done on it!

There’s not a lot of parts in the kit box, there’s big parts but not many of them so, the build is moving along quite a bit faster than I thought it would.

the build challenges are interesting to find fixes for, and accomplish possibly why many of us build models? We like problem solving?

Thanks guys, for looking and commenting...and being patient when I lost my mind a while back!

In all honesty if it weren't for some small accuracy issues it's a great kit and easy build...any problems so far have been of my own creation...

With that, I've got the fuselage closed up tonight, a bit of trimming around the Aires office but less than I was expecting, and I added a bit of lead, hopefully enough?

The cockpit, some lead and the intake being stuck in place...I did add a .005" sleeve to the nose ring to fill the space between the ring and intake, not that it can be seen

hwmHW6s.jpg

nPAuPdJ.jpg

AOwCAUc.jpg

closed up and the seam work being dealt with

kANXCJ6.jpg

FPcfwQT.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by chrish
spelling

Hahaha I agree! Always a milestone when the fuselage goes together! The next milestone seems to be decalling?...

I decided (there's no proof of this but it makes sense to me) to undercut the wing root fairing on the fuselage side so as to give the flaps a bit of breathing room. I then tried a piece of "Bare Metal Foil" on one wing, burnished down and polished. The foil has a great shine but I'm not happy with the visible "grain" of the metal...yes, I did sand and polish the plastic before applying the foil.

I'm open to suggestions but at this time I'm tending towards peeling the foil off and using Alclad lacquers on the model for the finish.

the fairing cut back;

bnJucvF.jpg

the gap created at the flap area by removing the root fairing ;

NYXtqwb.jpg

the bare metal foil..I'm not too happy with.

XdZ8uTr.jpg

The kit does have nice surface detail I agree.

I've put on a coat (or two) of Alclad lacquer polished aluminum and airframe aluminum. The fuselage got polished aluminum and looks like chrome in some places, too shiny! I'll put some more color on it (Airframe aluminum I think) later and hopefully tone down that shine!

YSXff6U.jpg

lulLKgE.jpg

PCOoa3K.jpg

A few washes may dirty it up and help too??

Nice!  It does look a tad shiny though, but I think a semi-gloss and washes may help that.    You are correct about the BMF texture. Another reason I dont foil with it, besides the fact of the adhesive being a bit weak. BMF just has an odd texture to me, and its so thin, unlike kitchen foil you cant sand it out.    

Great work so far! 

Lovely work

always loved the looks of the lightning...it seems to going mach 2 standing still..

Looking forward to your next update on this classic jet..

Cheers

Fred

Edited by stusbke