Lightning (English Electric) Completed

chrish

I have just begun cutting plastic on this (Trumpeters 1/32 Lightning F.1 A/ F.3 kit) yesterday, I mean I started cutting resin but, the point is the same. I bought the resin Aires sets for the cockpit and jet pipes, the detail is really quite amazing on these sets (fit remains to be seen) if there were more resin parts available for the kit I'd probably look at getting them after seeing the difference in the resin versus the kit plastic. other than these resin bits and the included associated photo-etc, I plan on building it out of the box. Decals and all.

Some pictures

The box;

e1CLXkC.jpg

The resin bits;

Yai0g22.jpg

kit parts on the left Aires on the right;

nnBlASK.jpg

the kit cockpit;

udngTQ9.jpg

the resin parts;

HSlwXgC.jpg

kmP35u8.jpg

Edited by chrish

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! Will follow with interest

+1

I have this kit and the later one too, both with lots of resin I think (been ages since I opened the boxes).

I too have heard that some of the Aires resin will be a 'challenging' fit

I know the kit has some shape issues which, once you start comparing to the real thing, are actually quite significant, but I can't help it - I just love the aircraft too much!

this will be the first jet I build later this year I hope - inspired by my friend next door building one when I was a about ten years old (early 80s!!)

best of luck

Nick

35 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

Thanks for making it clear in the title that it wasn't a REAL Lightning. Saves me getting all excited for nothing. 

Seriously, through, great start! Looks like fun!

Tim

you mean P-38 I take it?

surely not that F- thingy modern monstrosity?!

:coolio:

I did the T5 Whirlybird with Airies exhaust. I found the exhaust cans a very tight fit almost like they were designed for another kit!. If I remember the side walls had to be made paper thin:mental:

Steve.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Yes the exhausts, during a test fit, were cause for a bit of head scratching. I'll hopefully sort that out before I get too far in.

I forgot all about the modern F thingy lightning...no, not that one, either. The P-38 would be a cool kit too!

I hope to try "Bare Metal Foil" on this one. Although the Alclad is in the stand by stage awaiting it's inevitable turn on the bench... 

1 minute ago, chrish said:

I hope to try "Bare Metal Foil" on this one. 

Nice!  There is always kitchen foil and MS foil glue too (sometimes a bit more robust with a bit less ripping as well).

Bolt_1_bare-XL.jpg

I also found that if the kitchen foil is grained, paint work exceptionally well over it 

IMG_1321-XL.jpg

Whatever way you choose, looking forward to a NMF bird! 

REALLY love Lightnings, something about that plane that no other seems to come near.  As a child I was at Farnborough when the English Electric P1 was displayed, alongside the V-Bomber trio all in white it was a very memorable occasion.  We're long overdue an accurate EE Lightning in our scale.

48 minutes ago, mozart said:

REALLY love Lightnings, something about that plane that no other seems to come near.  As a child I was at Farnborough when the English Electric P1 was displayed, alongside the V-Bomber trio all in white it was a very memorable occasion.  We're long overdue an accurate EE Lightning in our scale.

Same. My first job was at Boscombe Down and I used to strap the pilots in and do the see offs/In’s. Lightning was always a favourite especially stood in front of the nose “staring down the barrel of the gun” with engines running. Tremendous aircraft and happy memories.

Ok. so maybe not quite exactly out of the box. I decided to open up the (APU?) exhaust and add a pipe to it. While I was at it opened up the various vents and scoops found around the fuselage. As well, found during dry fits, the wing root is thicker (wings) than the fuselage allows for. I trimmed the inside of the wing to a narrower thickness and better fit. The speed brakes in the kit are designed to be built open, I firkytootled them a bit so as to be shut.

While scraping some ejector pin marks, I found this...looks like metal (from the mold?) stuck in the plastic.

fVDLmou.jpg

the test fit mismatch of the wing to fuselage (now mostly fixed)

WIDZRHy.jpg

the APU? exhaust as supplied in the kit...I guess the thinking is paint it flat black?

Q4KjdBr.jpg

A bit of plastic tube cut and glued in to the (now open) hole in the fuselage side.

EqvK4yP.jpg

work, continues...