Lightning (English Electric) Completed

chrish

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

lol - the differences in "English" meanings of words between the US and UK is amazing........

Dont let Grammy Google that one in the US!

REALLY!!????   I can't begin to imagine what it means to you Yanks, but then you torture the English language anyway!

1 hour ago, mozart said:

REALLY!!????   I can't begin to imagine what it means to you Yanks, but then you torture the English language anyway!

lol! Yes, butchery of the Queens English seems to be one of our specialties.

:lol:

But yes, bit of a  cringe-making term here in the US.

Well....I looked at it again tonight with fresh and a little more clinical eyes (spelled, not as pissed) and the damage is not as bad as I thought and is definitely repairable. I'll get back to it with a fresh mojo in a couple of days...sorry I gave the impression it was toast. My fault for over-reacting...gotta learn to relax.

Stay tuned, we'll return to our program after a brief commercial break.

6 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Glad to hear it was only a brief respite for the Lightning. 

Can't be worse than when my son took my just completed HK Mossie for a test flight. The landing wasn't pretty. 

Carl

Oh dear, I,m sorry but that really made me laugh, am I a bad person:ninja: did you laugh or cry?

Yow! I don't wanna know what happened!

It's the way of the modelling world really...I once knocked a 1/32 Ju 88 off my bench just after I finished adding the last decals to it. Set it aside (after calming down and not curb stomping it) in a box in the stash, a few weeks...6-8 is still a few... I put it back together and finished it the second time.

I also knocked the wing tip float off a 1/48 PBY (Canso water bomber) I had just finished by turning the model around to add a decal and striking a work lamp with a wing tip. (the same model had the plastic landing gear collapse but the side that collapsed was away from the edge of the bench or it'd have done a death dive off the bench to the floor. It got SAC landing gear after that)

With the Lightning I wasn't so mad that the kids damaged the model (and I was mad!) but that I had not secured the door...my fault. They were just kids being kids

2 hours ago, Robthepom said:

Oh dear, I,m sorry but that really made me laugh, am I a bad person:ninja: did you laugh or cry?

I think I sighed loudly. Edward was 2 at the time so could hardly blame him. Afterwards he would ask me if I still had the one he flew. Thankfully he hasn't done that again. 

1 hour ago, chrish said:

Yow! I don't wanna know what happened!

It's the way of the modelling world really...

I had just brought it upstairs from my work bench and put it on the kitchen table to try and figure out were I could display it safely. I also wanted to do the RFI pics. This was about five minutes prior to its maiden flight.

IMG_20151119_195957-L.jpg

After the crash, I ended up packing up both the wreckage and the Tamiya Mossie I'd been working on at the same time. It was nearly a year before I came back to it.

Or the wife. I guess if you bug your wife enough, (read if I bug my wife, in this case) you get sent to the hobby room with a comment like "don't you have something you can do in your hobby room?"

So I duly trudged in here, sat down at the desk, flipped on the computer and ordered a bunch of resin and photo-etch (Retail therapy) for the 1/32 E/A 18 G  I've been eyeing up in my stash...All these guys on LSP fighting with the Revell E kit have lit a fire in me.

Then I re-unpacked the EE Lightning. Pending my mojo state of charge rate, it may be started again this weekend. I'll pour a rye and water first I think.

Rye helps everything! Well, not really but I did have one 

I managed to get to work on the lightning again, yes. I thought I'd need to find and/or build some parts but a fellow club member had one in his stash I can use for organ donation, god bless him. 

I have shortened the main gear legs, the easy way, by carving the square locator part down 3-4 mm into the leg then nipping off the top bit. I also moved the wings back 4mm and lowered the hump on the spine (by standing on the shoulders of better modellers who came before me with this kit and thankfully posted their fixes. I destroyed the Aires seat belts (too many parts for my ham hands) and substituted belts I found from...I don't know where. The belts aren't correct but I strive for mediocrity.

At this time the cockpit is mostly painted and built (And like the Dragon Bf 110 G never to be seen again) I'm working on getting everything stuffed into place between the fuselage halves. A fairly productive weekend after all my doom and gloom...

the shortened gear leg (plastic) and unchanged metal one for reference.

cDo9z3X.jpg

the right wing moved back 4mm

Q4AOJxb.jpg

thyj3CM.jpg

the spinal hump lowered (fin in place to show how much)

eFPLcrh.jpg

the office

BenfgNV.jpg

LvPdvhJ.jpg

Edited by chrish