Mr Polymer coating for canopies

Durangokid

I found this stuff that is amazing for finishing polish for clear parts.  My usual routine is to sand the canopy with 3200 grit progressing to 12000 grit, polish them with 3 Tamiya compounds and then dip them in future.  I had a mini disaster in my last build where the tape fused itself to the canopy even though I allowed the future to dry for months.  I was able to remove the tape and re-polish the canopy but I wasn't totally happy with it.  I've had this Mr polymer coating forever but I've never used it because the directions aren't in english, plus I've been happy with my results.  I figured I would give it a try on this canopy and I am really impressed to say the least.  It came out so nice that I don't think I will need to use future again.

Anyway, I thought I would pass this along and hopefully it will help the fellas with their canopies too. :thumbsup:

Damaged canopy

poVIIvuMj

plbBZMGRj

Here it is after polishing but without Mr Polymer coating.  Not bad but not as nice as it was before the tape incident.

pow6DFVWj

It's difficult to photograph so the pictures really don't do it justice.  Here it is after polishing...

poJQhIFWj

plcNdFkij

ponBgwbNj

pnIKaXKxj

poBw1uU0j

poYxAQSWj

poXHkzowj

Here is what the bottle looks like

poUvti7Vj

It was easy to use and comes with a polishing cloth.  I just used a few drops to lightly rub on the canopy before polishing it off with the cloth.  I think this stuff is for polishing paint on car models but I don't know if it's made for clear part since the directions aren't in english.  Either way it works very nice!

Hope this help my fellow modelling peeps with their canopies... :D

Bryan

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

So no dipping eh?    Sounds nice!  I wonder if it would form any kind of barrier against CA fuming? 

That is a good question and one I had not thought of.  I'll have to give it a try on a spare canopy and see how it does.  I originally dipped the canopy but all the future came off after stripping the tape.  

Looks like it’s on sale at Sprue Brothers.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunr192xxx.htm

Still not clear what it does.  The description makes it sound like a glosscoat to go over a painted surface.  I guess you brush it on, and use the polishing cloth to level it out?

I see some similar products for full size cars.  The products for cars say they repel water, so you may not be able to paint over it, especially with acrylic paints.

Edited by Dave Williams

13 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looks like it’s on sale at Sprue Brothers.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunr192xxx.htm

Still not clear what it does.  The description makes it sound like a glosscoat to go over a painted surface.  I guess you brush it on, and use the polishing cloth to level it out?

I see some similar products for full size cars.  The products for cars say they repel water, so you may not be able to paint over it, especially with acrylic paints.

It's difficult to tell since the directions are only in Japanese.  I rubbed it on with the cloth it came using only a few drops then buffed it off with the same.  I would describe it as more of a wax like substance that looks like skim milk. 

The canopy had some minor fogging and scratches even after using Tamiya's polishing compounds.  After using the polymer stuff all of that was gone.  I would say it's at least good for using at the very end of the build when all the painting is done.  I always seem to have some residual stuff on my canopies after removing masking tape, hopefully this will help with that.  I wish I could photograph the difference better since the photos don't really do it justice.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Bryan

This product may be a re-bottling of something like Mr. Auto's Nano Polymer coating:

https://mrautomotivestore.com/products/mr-auto-x-ocd-nano-polymer-coating

1. Take Mr. Auto’s Smart “APPLY” microfibers with the Mr. Auto logo faced downwards and prime the microfiber with 12 sprays.  Begin applying with the Mr. Auto logo faced upwards by gently wiping the microfiber slowly across section of your automobile making sure that after each panel has been coated you apply 6 more sprays onto the microfiber to ensure lubrication and the best outcome.
  2. The last and final step is to go back using a brand new “BUFF” microfiber and buff off the extra coating that has been left on the surface and that’s it! In under 5 minutes you have prolonged your cars paint for up to 1 year  (This should be done every 4-6 months to get the best results and have the best glossy finish).

HTH

D.B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I have a couple of canopies that need a lot of luvving and I might try this stuff.

I have used Future and also Tamiya polishing compounds in the past but am never fully satisfies with the results.