Live Resin figures for HH-60 Pavehawk

Damn Pete, just when I thought you can't get any better! Are you going to do a build thread for the helo cause that would be really nice to see for us regular peeps. :please:

Bryan

Edited by Durangokid

2 hours ago, Durangokid said:

Damn Pete, just when I thought you can't get any better! Are you going to do a build thread for the helo cause that would be really nice to see for us regular peeps. :please:

Bryan

Hello my friend!

I was thinking I would do that-

love your “A” model conversion BTW..great stuff!

cheers

Pete

18 hours ago, Redcrown said:

Fantastic work Pete. Could you break down your painting techniques for us, I struggle with figure painting.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Rick-

I get it..I am no figure painter, so I did some research on the web to figure out how best to tackle what frankly I consider a weak skill set in my tool chest. There are many instructional videos on the web, but I didn't find one that simplified the process- I needed "figure painting for aircraft modelers".. or something like that- Couldn't find anything remotely close..so I turned to books. The best series of books I found on figure painting is anything published by Mr. Black. Check them out.

So anyway..Here's what I learned through reading and my own experimentation. First, use the right brushes and paint. Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes in 000, 00, and 0 sizes. Also grab the smallest chisel tip sable brush you can find. For paint, one of my pet peeves is shiny figures. Most of us aircraft modelers paint our figures with the same enamels that we use on our models, and the figures come out with a sheen. I used Vallejo paints on all of these figures. It brushes on beautifully with no brush strokes, and dries dead flat.

After assembly and clean up, the figures were all primed with a shot of Tamiya Buff with the airbrush.

From there, I worked light to dark on the camo pattern..for these figures I put on the lightest green first; only in the spots that corresponded to the pattern. Once dry, I dry brushed the high spots with a lighter version of the color, using the tiny chisel brush for the dry brushing. I did this for each color in sequence. Once every color of the pattern was on and highlighted, I went back with darker versions of each color and carefully laid in the shadows in the creases. For the web gear- same thing: paint, highlight, and then a little different..I used a darker wash.

The faces and skin weren't too bad, because I didn't have any eyes to paint. I used the three basic Vallejo flesh tones. The middle value for overall coverage, the lighter one for highlights, and the darker for shadows. The highlights and shadows were put on very thin. The beards were drybrushed and washed just like the fabric on the uniforms. The sunglasses got a coat of Tamiya clear green over a black base coat.  

My painting mantra for anything in modeling has always been "look to see, and paint what you see", so good references (as always) helps a lot. Don't forget you've got an awesome reference for clothing shadows and highlights on your body while you sit at the bench!

I still have to paint the pilots, so perhaps a step by step on those would help? Again, I am no figure painter and am learning like most of us. Any thoughts from more experienced figure painters is always appreciated!

Cheers

Pete 

Hello all,

Here is a “Franken-figure”... torso, arms, head, and hands all from various figures, cobbled together to create this guy. He is about half way along in the process, and still needs all of his web gear equipment and weapons..plus a whole lot of details. The ubiquitous water bottle was rolling around in my spares bin- the only hand I had that would hold the bottle was un-gloved: so we’ll just have to imagine a reason that he took his right glove off-ax1Wcaa.jpg

1uj8gLG.jpg

Thanks Kev! Hello all-

so here is the mock-up of how this should work.. the magnets are doing their job and are super strong-

02ufh9A.jpg

now that this is essentially complete; where do I store this part of the build until I’m ready to hook it all up at the end? Well- simple: the magnets allow me to hang it on the steel frame of the drop ceiling in my shop! 

CNElOpc.jpg

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann
Speling

9 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Hello Pete...

EXQUISITE  workmanship on your figures and painting. They depict the characters from the photo quite well and look remarkably authentic . 

I LOVE the exceptional detailing of the uniforms and creases and what a realistic touch   having one of the crew drinking from a water bottle.:wub:

AMAZING  Work Sir.:bow:

{ when I see figures being created   and paiting of their flesh etc I always send a link to MY artist sister... (only time I get a peep outta of her :rofl: ) and her comments are that she thinks you should take up figure work as your skin and flesh tones and expressive and are VERY human like...  } :clap2:

The hoist et al with magnet is a brilliant idea and I look forward to seeing it all come together ..

Thank you.

MARU  5137.:ph34r:

As always Maru, you are gracious with your comments :) please thank your sister for me as well for her kind critique! I am plodding along, and I appreciate the encouragement!

cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Amazing work, I'm jealous of it!

Can you tell me what colors you used for these figures?

Since I normally build 1/16 German tanks and figures I have absolutely no knowledge of Blackhawk helicopters (or modern aircraft!)

I want to use some figures for my Kittyhawk MH60L, although I think the figures with the "Stormtrooper" helmets are too modern for 1993!

Anyway, please keep posting photo's!

With regards,

Rob

8 hours ago, panzerrob said:

Hi Pete,

Amazing work, I'm jealous of it!

Can you tell me what colors you used for these figures?

With regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob!

I am painting these figures in the multicam pattern, which may not be appropriate for the time you want to depict. IIRC, the multicam was introduced roughly around Operation Iraqi Freedom, and is no longer used-

anyway, here is the Vallejo paint guide I used:

3LFBoWa.jpg