Sign in to follow this  
David G

any Future/ Pledge experts here?

so I've used future/Pledge on canopies before, and airbrushed a coat of it as a clear gloss in prep for decals before. As a favor for a friend, I polished out a plastic candy display top other night, standard 600 grit to 800 to 1000 to 1200 to 1500 then Novus 3, 2 and 1. Looked pretty good, thought a coat of Future would really make it shine. I tried brushing it on with a 2 inch brush. It seemed to want to bead up and run off the piece without coating it evenly. I let the excess run off and drip onto a paper towel. Seeing rivulets of future in some spots, and seemingly none in other spots, I applied another coat. After a few minutes, I started seeing wavy white/frosty areas on the piece. I tried to wash it off with water but no luck, that made it worse. Finally after using a scotchbrite pad (which scratched it all to hell) and ammonia and windex, I got it all off and had to polish it again.

What did I do wrong? I restore vintage turntables as another hobby and was thinking Future might be a good finish coat after polishing scratches out of the dustcovers. But not if this is the result.

thanks!

I do use Future/Pledge to coat my canopies as well, but only because I still like to use ultra thin CA to attach them, and the Future makes a good guard against fuming.  

However...........

I HATE Future for most anything else.  I've seen guys make good use of it, and seem some decently shiny clears from it, but in general for me, its hard to use, temperamental,  easily disturbed if not VERY dry, and susceptible to most any environmentals including humidity, as well as being easily damaged by  decal solutions water and most anything else that seems to come in contact with it (especially if not fully cured). To cure it seems to need days in a good dry environment too.   There are so many other/better options out there for an overall clear that I just stopped using it in that capacity period. 

I cant say exactly what happened, but it sounds like a reaction to something on the surface of the part; maybe still some polishing cream, or other coating still on there that made it bead up?

yeah maybe. I thought I had buffed all the polish off the piece. Now I wonder if it was TOO buffed, that the Future had nothing to grab onto.

I will experiment with some scrap plexi I have at home before committing to use it on a turntable lid. It was a nightmare to try and wash that stuff off the candy dish top, I thought ammonia would cut through it easily.

I would guess that the polish acted as a wax coat and repelled the Future. Also, not knowing exactly what polymer the part was, it's not guaranteed to act anything like styrene. If it was plexiglass or acrylic, some of those seem to exude their own oils and are fairly impossible to paint with any coating that isn't chemically hot.

I might try cleaning it with 91% alcohol or the like (if not painted)  and maybe even load some clear up in an airbrush to see if it still beads up.     If it were me, I might try a good clear out of a rattle can, like Model Masters Ultra gloss clear which is a lacquer, and pretty much bomb proof when dry. 

yes, the lacquer might "bite" into the plastic and stick. I read one website that recommended Mission Models Clear as a good clear coat. Again I would want to try on scrap before committing to a turntable lid or anything valuable.

thanks gents!