Special Hobby Tempest Mk V 'Hi Tech'

aircare84

Just finished today; Special Hobby Tempest Mk V 'Hi Tech' kit. Finished as SA-M, a Mk V flown by James Sheddan of 486 Squadron. 

Beautiful model when finished. Takes a lot of work to get there though. Many fit issues which I guess is common for the brand.

Sure looks good when finished though.

The Hi Tech kit comes with the 1/2 engine, lots of resin to replace plastic kit parts, HGW seat belts & photo etch details.

After seeing Misoslav build so many, I was real interested in trying my hand at one. Got the kit @ 1/2 price on sale at a on line retailer.

Added Barracuda resin nose & prop, Eduard flaps.

Painted using MRP paints. 

All markings except stencils, kill markings & Squadron flag are painted on.

Thanks to Reimund for the kill markings & flags !

Weathered using washes, pastels & hair spray technique for the chipping.

Thanks for looking & all comments welcome.

Larry

2kLWPze.jpg

DXoDcNY.jpg

6R327JQ.jpg

STxhSVJ.jpg

ZpwBnU8.jpg

fKOPL0l.jpg

Ukzu9dQ.jpg

lba3Pft.jpg

aPxJ2Z1.jpg

YYBLvuT.jpg

tTo9W9e.jpg

y5j0bSi.jpg

Edited by aircare84

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:23 AM, TimHepplestone said:

She’s a beauty. That engine looks fantastic. How much of the plumbing was in the kit and how much did you add?

Tim,

All of the larger piping was included with the engine as separate pieces. I broke 1 & had to fashion a replacement.

All of the small silver lines & linkages I added.

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Fantastic looking Tempest!  May ask... how did you merge the Barracuda resin nose with the resin engine?

Thanks John!

It took my Dremel with a drum sander & a fine round burr. Quite a bit of sand, grind, fit & repeat. It is doable, just be prepared for quite a bit of work. front of the engine & forward part of the Barracuda nose required most of the attention. Also, the barracuda nose is slightly narrower @ the spinner, so I had to trim the upper forward part of the engine to look right, where the frame piece is.

Also, the Barracuda nose has a flange molded onto it that tucks inside the kit airframe, was still able to use the lower half of this flange.

Wasn't much different than the rest of the kit, had quite a bit of fit issues with this one.

Larry

Edited by aircare84