Revell 1/32 Fw 190. First build since 2001.

Longbow_06

Good evening !!

recently I joined here, after lurking on the site for many years. 

Im actually English, and moved to the States in 2001. 

Back in England my main modeling focus was on 1/35 armor, and 1/48 aircraft. 

I’m now 50, with aging eyesight :)

So I figure I’m sticking to 1/32 aircraft now. 

Only a a few weeks ago, I found out that Revell had released a new tooled 190. So I jumped on ordering one. 

LDtGZxe.jpg

i put off starting it, for a week, and dived into the forum... Years ago, I wasn’t into buying aftermarket items, and this is the plan with this one. Scratch an approximation of everything that needs upgrading. 

The kit kit by the way, looks fantastic to me. But I am used to older tooling. 

So, on with the build. 

I like to start on the engine, and that seems to have followed my. The BMW 801 is nicely represented in the kit, in it's basic form.

It lacks the ignition collar, and wiring, that are most prominent on these aircraft. If you plan to display the aircraft with the engine exposed, there are also prominent rods that cross the top on the cylinders. 

I had to add the wiring, and the rods, both are from stretched sprue and fine wire. 

um7yoqT.jpg

The kit supplied push-rod rings are "Very" fragile. I actually broke a couple, and repositioned the front ring so that the broken rod would be covered by a panel.

The rear of the engine was also detailed, in the same fashion as the front. 

rhgczUv.jpg

Note the large sink holes, in the rear of the engine braces. There are a few sink holes in the kit, but they are easily rectified. 

I then put the engine aside, as my eyes failed :D And worked on the cockpit for a while....

Thanks for looking !!

Edited by Longbow_06
Spelling

On to the cockpit.... Please bear in mind that I have not brought paints yet lol... Everything is in small subassemblies, to ease paining next week.

The cockpit is the usual basic representation, but is still nicely detailed, but benefits from further detailing. 

The back wall is rather sparse, and lacks the emergence O2 regulator on the right hand rear wall. No oxygen hose is supplied, and no radio cord. 

These were added, as well as the cockpit vent on the rear deck, and the map pocket on the right front of the wall. 

The seat is very basic, but looks great with a little detail added from card. The seat cushion is also a very basic mold, and has been carved and detailed, to look more like the actual leather cushion.

Here I've added a few details, carved the cushion, and added the O2 hose, and a cord for the radio to the pilot. 

r3ELwAF.jpg

I also added the straps to the pedals, from 5 thou card, and added a new throttle handle. The throttle was very pronounced on the actual aircraft, and is lacking in the kit-form.

xUgz5Ra.jpg

The one aftermarket item I did add, was the Edward seatbelts.... Jeez.... Things seem to have gotten a lot smaller in the intervening years. 

The seat will remain out, until the pit is painted, and the belt will be painted with the seat. 

7kHz3ta.jpg

And this is how the pit stands so far... I probably won't add any more to this, at this time. I'll see how she looks with some pain on her. 

0cHWCkx.jpg

So, next I'll be tackling the cockpit side walls. And then the instrument panel. 

Hopefully the rest of the kit will go well lol !!

Thanks for looking, so far...

Lee.

I’ve got this kit in my stash so will follow with interest. Great work on the detailing you’ve done. It’s really nice to see modeling skills and techniques rather than capitulating and just throwing money at the am guys. Sorry Eduard et al,  nothing personal but if you buy the brassin cockpit and engine for this kit, you’ve spent treble the value of the kit itself.

Great colour scheme as well

Hi Lee,

You are in a very similar situation to me in that I haven't built a model since 2001.   Like you, I've just started a build that I'm going to post in the 'in-progress' section of this site soon and, also like you, I'm not spending lots of money on after-market accessories.   I agree with Tim Hepplestone; it's really nice to see you enhancing the kit parts rather than simply spending your hard-earned on a plethora of after-market accessories.   Don't get me wrong, I love the accessories that are available 'out there' but, sometimes, it's just nice to see someone enhancing the kit parts and achieving a really nice result.    I can't wait to see more of your work.

Cheers,

Wayne

'The seat cushion is also a very basic mold, and has been carved and detailed, to look more like the actual leather cushion.'

You can smooth it out by painting it with liquid cement.

Nice start.

Sincerely,

Mark

2 hours ago, Grissom said:

Hi Lee,

You are in a very similar situation to me in that I haven't built a model since 2001.   Like you, I've just started a build that I'm going to post in the 'in-progress' section of this site soon and, also like you, I'm not spending lots of money on after-market accessories.   I agree with Tim Hepplestone; it's really nice to see you enhancing the kit parts rather than simply spending your hard-earned on a plethora of after-market accessories.   Don't get me wrong, I love the accessories that are available 'out there' but, sometimes, it's just nice to see someone enhancing the kit parts and achieving a really nice result.    I can't wait to see more of your work.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne... The thing is, I still remember when the only after market game in town was Verlinden. I'm pretty sure that "Pre-shading" was just coming alive, with the fantastic work that the gamers started to accomplish, with the Warhammer stuff, and this was naturally adopted by aircraft and armor modelers. 

Things have come a long way, in the intervening years. And I swear that parts were bigger in those days :D

I used to make seatbelts from scratch, for 1'48th aircraft, and can't imagine doing that now lol.

Lee. 

Work on the front gun bay will start soon, but I'm in two minds on the subject. 

Having the hood open will cover the canopy, and having it closed will cover the gun bay....

These are the reference picture that I have for the detail...

VkZ9O8A.jpg

Note the extended hood on the above picture, a basic flash hider, which is one of the options in the Revell kit.

The other side.... It's a lot of wires lol. 

Ikqcnff.jpg