I need advice on paint, please...

Longbow_06

Hello, all... Long time lurker, very little poster.

Ive been lurking here since Radub built his Hurricane Mk I, lol.

After a 19 year break (I moved to the States from England 19 years ago ) I have decided to get back into building models, and want to try and focus on aircraft. 

I have ave an airbrush and compressor, but I’m unsure of what paints to focus on. 

I was used to Humbrol enamels, in England, but have a feeling that paints have come a long way, since then. 

What at should I look for, in the best coverage and finish. 

And hiw how do I post pix ??

thanks in advance...

Lee. 

Try MRP paints - they do a lacquer range for airbrush (only - it doesn’t brush), which is quite exquisite, and best of all,  no need to thin it.

their acquaintance range is a normal acrylic which is good for brush painting 

Hi Lee  :hi:

The subject of paint is for the most part preference based. These days there

are more paints available than ever. Basically it will involve answering some

questions like, are you or your environment sensitive to smells ? Is cost an issue ?

Most of us just try what is easily available and see how we like it. Acrylics ? Lacquers ?

You'll hear pros and cons about everything but experimenting is pretty much the best.

Have fun :thumbsup:

+1

I have tried MRP and have struggled with it. The "aroma" is strong and I actually had a problem with getting a good result with my airbrush. I am probably the only person in the world to have this issue. 

I prefer to use Tamiya or Gunze acrylics with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. At some point I will try the new AK real colours range and also Hataka. 

I assume you have a good face mask and paint booth if you are going to be squirting this stuff all over plastic.

The face mask will be acquired, but the paint booth, I do not have. 

I'm not sensitive to smells, but it may become an issue dependent on how much I do. 

I'm trying to get as many sub-assemblies completed, prior to hitting the air-brush.

On the Tamiya base coat...Is this usually sprayed straight from the can, or are folks decanting it for air-brush use ?

15 minutes ago, Longbow_06 said:

On the Tamiya base coat...Is this usually sprayed straight from the can, or are folks decanting it for air-brush use ?

If you are referring to the Tamiya rattle cans, they are acrylic lacquer, not unlike MRPs formula. Of course shot out of the can, there is much more particulate coming out.

I tend to shoot base coats like that right out of the rattle can but have in the past decanted Tamiyas rattle cans. Its a whole other kettle of fish, that, so Id try laying down a base coat right out of the can on a test mule and see how you like the results. 

As to the spray booth I think its a very needed accessory if shooting anything other than water based acrylics (which I personally hate) in doors. There are also may DIY ideas for spray booths, that many members have come up with here on LSP too. Also many YouTube vids out there on it as well. 

21 hours ago, Longbow_06 said:

Hello, all... Long time lurker, very little poster.

Ive been lurking here since Radub built his Hurricane Mk I, lol.

After a 19 year break (I moved to the States from England 19 years ago ) I have decided to get back into building models, and want to try and focus on aircraft. 

I have ave an airbrush and compressor, but I’m unsure of what paints to focus on. 

I was used to Humbrol enamels, in England, but have a feeling that paints have come a long way, since then. 

What at should I look for, in the best coverage and finish. 

And hiw how do I post pix ??

thanks in advance...

Lee. 

Tamiya acrylic paints thinned with Mr. Color leveling thinner is about as good as you are going to get.

Gunze Mr. Color paints are also great.

"Mister Paint" or MRP is the fad right now and they do shoot very well, but they are very heavily thinned in the jar, which makes it difficult to thin them to known percentages for different effects, if you know what I mean.

I always prefer to do the thinning myself b/c depending on what I am doing, I want to thin to different percentages.  

It is also very difficult to brush paint the MRP paint for what that is worth.

Also the new AK Interactive "REAL COLORS" paints are quite good.  They also thin with Mr. Color leveling thinner very nicely and are 100% compatible with Tamiya acrylics.  So you can mix and match them with Tamiya paint and everything works out well.

As a rule, I would try to avoid the "true acrylic" paints like Vallejo, the older squeeze bottle AK Interactive paints, Ammo by Mig, etc.  They just don't spray nearly as well as the paints I've mentioned before.  However, they are the BEST paints for brush application, as are LIFE color paints from Italy.  Life color might be the best paintbrush application paints I've found.