Any news on the Italeri Tornado GR4?

Dave Williams

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Anyway, back to the Italeri kit, I hope it comes loaded with proper British Paveways and Brimstones and Sea Eagles if there’s a GR.1 boxing down the road. And a nice mix of Squadron special tails, not just the usual 617 Squadron ones, other Squadrons did fly the Tornado, manufacturers seem to forget this. 13 Squadron would be great with their Squadron colours. 

I'd love to do a 14 Sqn "Crusaders" GR1, RAF Bruggen circa 1994 and a 15(R) Sqn "MacRoberts Reply" GR4 RAF Lossiemouth circa 2000. Fed up of seeing 61spit, 31 Sqn and 9 Sqn all the time

On 3/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, Kagemusha said:

Hints of other versions to come... 

Indeed.... Why wouldn't they!?  F3 might be beyond, but I would hope all of the GR1 based types will be possible. After all, that was the entire point of the original aircraft!!

Still hankering after a Marineflieger Tornado with the medium slate uppers and pearl grey lowers. I'd even break my own rules and add two Kormorans.

Wonder if there's any cross-kitting possibilities with the existing Revell and new Italeri, or whether, with the new kit before me, the old Revell simply becomes a fossil.

Tony 

I'm faced with a dilemma, I have a Revell kit , and a mountain of Resin to go with it , do I inload the lot and cross fingers the new kit is substantially better , or hand on , and wait.. Hmmm!

(I do mean a lot or Resin, JP233's Alarms, Cockpit, Engines, ets etc)

2 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I'm faced with a dilemma, I have a Revell kit , and a mountain of Resin to go with it , do I inload the lot and cross fingers the new kit is substantially better , or hand on , and wait.. Hmmm!

Keep it, I built a lovely rendition from the revell kit. It’ll make a great comparison between the two when one considers the time that’s elapsed between the two releases.

Here’s a snap of my finished build. 

49358457551_e2c45f0256_b.jpg

9 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Personally Scotsman, I would keep the kit you have and build it.

Unless this kit comes out with more than what you have accumulated in resin bits, it will just be another starting point.

Just my opinion.

It was sort of a rhetorical question, I really didn't plan to get rid of anything , at least in the short term, 

I was thinking about, "Its a Recce Thing" from the Op telic scheme , I have all the bits to build a 4 or 4A - the Nose art is  rather nice 

ColinR

The Italeri kit will have to be very special to improve on the Revell kit. The Revell panel lines on their Tornado are far superior to the Italeri ones seen on their F-104.

It will of course include parts missing from the Revell version, so swings and roundabouts.

One thing that really bugs me about the Revell Tornado is the lack of any panel lines on the underside of the nose, and on the sides of the fuselage under the wing roots.  I know it’s because these areas are at 90 degrees to the mold, but it means that the second aux intake door on the sides of the intakes is completely missing.

Not to mention the total lack of any intake trunking , but I agree  that the need to spend 2-3 hours re-scribing the blank belly of the kit was a total pain , hmm Blank Belly , kind of reminds me of me sitting here at home trying to work , with my belly getting ever larger , and blanker!

ColinR

Murphy's Law has struck again..

I've waited years before to start the Tornado Revell kit..

I've made a lot of new parts, corrected areas and rescribed all the undersurface.

As soon as I've got to painting phase... Italeri resurrected the release of their new Tornado kit in 1/32!!!

Today I'm at this point with the Revell... I'm going to finish it.

Tor_1

CIAO!

Piero

8 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Not to mention the total lack of any intake trunking , but I agree  that the need to spend 2-3 hours re-scribing the blank belly of the kit was a total pain , hmm Blank Belly , kind of reminds me of me sitting here at home trying to work , with my belly getting ever larger , and blanker!

ColinR

Whoa, Blank Belly, bam-a-lam
Whoa, Blank Belly, bam-a-lam

Given the quality of the rest of the panel lines and an understanding of why, would an increase in number of parts in those locations be desirable. I'd suggest not but there are other opinions.

The intakes are an interesting point. Rather than a two piece longitudinal split which is the most likely approach to be taken by most manufacturers, I'd prefer to see shorter sections that could be easily cleaned up if moulded in halves, with spanwise joints.

Such an arrangement would just appear as ribbing joints if visible at all. Either that or resin trunking which can only be aftermarket. Perhaps the Italeri release will spur the resin industry to produce some, which would very likely be adaptable to the Revell kit.

6 hours ago, Piero said:

Murphy's Law has struck again..

I've waited years before to start the Tornado Revell kit..

I've made a lot of new parts, corrected areas and rescribed all the undersurface.

As soon as I've got to painting phase... Italeri resurrected the release of their new Tornado kit in 1/32!!!

Today I'm at this point with the Revell... I'm going to finish it.

Thankyou for TOFTT

Don