Any news on the Italeri Tornado GR4?

Dave Williams

there are several types of tornado, mainly in 3 groups

fighter version - F3 ect

IDS - Gr's

ECR - these are mainly the german ones, there are internal and exterior differences, so although there is a lot of commonality most of the bottom of the jet is different

depending on the sprues, either a new body or a insert for the underside

one of the 1/48 has the bottom as a insert and it works fine

Are the undersides really that different that it requires a new molding?  Except the the F-3, that has a length difference, I thought the main difference for the various fighter-bomber versions was the pods and fairings under the nose.  Can’t differences be accommodated by a common bottom fuselage with stick-on parts?

Exactly so. Which is almost certainly what Italeri are incorporating. I can't think they would design a kit for just one version, when so many other options are possible with just a handful of alternate parts, just as Revell did. How far they go of course, is up to them, but I can't think they wouldn't do Italian and German versions as well as RAF ones... 

• 3 weeks later...

Tornado GR.4

I did have one of the BAE Warton GR.4 prototype/Demo Tornado GR.4 in the old wrap around Green and Grey scheme of the GR.1 but I can’t find it anywhere. I suspect it’s on a portable HD. I need to dig that one out and have a look at what’s on there. Lots from my early days taking photos in the Mach Loop, back when I lived at home 3 miles away from where this was taken. Most of the stuff on there is no longer flying with the RAF either. 

Edited by ade rowlands

43 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Tornado GR.4

I did have one of the BAE Warton GR.4 prototype/Demo Tornado GR.4 in the old wrap around Green and Grey scheme of the GR.1 but I can’t find it anywhere. I suspect it’s on a portable HD. I need to dig that one out and have a look at what’s on there. Lots from my early days taking photos in the Mach Loop, back when I lived at home 3 miles away from where this was taken. Most of the stuff on there is no longer flying with the RAF either. 

Where did you take that picture - Bwlch or Cad East?

15 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Where did you take that picture - Bwlch or Cad East?

Corris Corner

Taken on what’s called Corris Corner. My preferred spot to be honest as it’s filled with options about how and when you take your photo. The Tornado was taken just before that road in the right corner with the bottom of Cader Idris as the backdrop. That backdrop changes in its tones through the year with the seasonal foliage growth and die off. The colours can really pop on that background. Then as you pan around (they fly right to left in this photo) you can get the lake as your backdrop and finally the opposite hill which doesn’t really offer much in terms of colour but it is where the pilots are pulling the hardest if they are low so you get great vapour boiling off the wings when the conditions are right. It’s also quieter in terms of people up there. Though the loop is pretty dead now in terms of aircraft. I go home every fourth week and for the past year to 18 months you really don’t get much. It was attracting too much attention and photos of pilots doing things they probably shouldn’t be doing such as using reheat or rolls ended up in the media thanks to people posting on social media and then back to the high ups who put a no go on the area which seems to still be in effect apart from the odd flight through when low level training is on the agenda and the weather rules out the other areas in Northern England and the Scottish Glens. 
Anyway, back to the Italeri kit, I hope it comes loaded with proper British Paveways and Brimstones and Sea Eagles if there’s a GR.1 boxing down the road. And a nice mix of Squadron special tails, not just the usual 617 Squadron ones, other Squadrons did fly the Tornado, manufacturers seem to forget this. 13 Squadron would be great with their Squadron colours. 

16 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Taken on what’s called Corris Corner. My preferred spot to be honest as it’s filled with options about how and when you take your photo. The Tornado was taken just before that road in the right corner with the bottom of Cader Idris as the backdrop. That backdrop changes in its tones through the year with the seasonal foliage growth and die off. The colours can really pop on that background. Then as you pan around (they fly right to left in this photo) you can get the lake as your backdrop and finally the opposite hill which doesn’t really offer much in terms of colour but it is where the pilots are pulling the hardest if they are low so you get great vapour boiling off the wings when the conditions are right. It’s also quieter in terms of people up there. Though the loop is pretty dead now in terms of aircraft. I go home every fourth week and for the past year to 18 months you really don’t get much. It was attracting too much attention and photos of pilots doing things they probably shouldn’t be doing such as using reheat or rolls ended up in the media thanks to people posting on social media and then back to the high ups who put a no go on the area which seems to still be in effect apart from the odd flight through when low level training is on the agenda and the weather rules out the other areas in Northern England and the Scottish Glens. 
Anyway, back to the Italeri kit, I hope it comes loaded with proper British Paveways and Brimstones and Sea Eagles if there’s a GR.1 boxing down the road. And a nice mix of Squadron special tails, not just the usual 617 Squadron ones, other Squadrons did fly the Tornado, manufacturers seem to forget this. 13 Squadron would be great with their Squadron colours. 

Beautiful, isn't that where thye bank hard left once passed Cad East / West?  I've been up to Bwlch, Cad East and West, but unfortunately never got

a chance to go up to Corris Corner. And yes, those were the days until, as you've mentioned, some idiots thought to go public with what was actually

a no go for the pilots but was done every now and then nevertheless. And always a great bunch of great people up there, I had a lot of good laughs.

And all the crap like cigarette butts, food packaging and soda cans were picked up and the spots were neatly left and the land owner's properties

respected.

Lothar 

14 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Beautiful, isn't that where thye bank hard left once passed Cad East / West?  I've been up to Bwlch, Cad East and West, but unfortunately never got

a chance to go up to Corris Corner. And yes, those were the days until, as you've mentioned, some idiots thought to go public with what was actually

a no go for the pilots but was done every now and then nevertheless. And always a great bunch of great people up there, I had a lot of good laughs.

And all the crap like cigarette butts, food packaging and soda cans were picked up and the spots were neatly left and the land owner's properties

respected.

Lothar 

Yes. If you’re on one of the Cad’s looking down towards the lake I’m stood where they bank hard to make the corner. Or if they’ve misjudged it go vertical or the easy option straight out over the lake and out to sea. The only drawback of this location is you don’t see the stuff coming like you can in the other locations. So you’re primed and on edge waiting all day. The best you get is if the wind is playing ball you can hear them entering Cad or you can see the shadow on the opposite hillside when the sun is up and behind you. Then hope for a second pass 3 and a bit minutes later if it was a jet, 5 if it’s a Herc.