When will we get an F-22 or F-23 in 1/32

oyoy5

I was hoping that Italeri releasing the F-35 would trigger someone to do a Raptor, but no joy on that so far.  Possible that the fact that there is only one operational paint scheme and it’s flown by only one country is a negative for the manufacturers to consider taking the risk.  It’s also a large aircraft.  Not sure how the 1/48 kits sold, but I’m sure less than F-15s, F-16s, and probably even F-35s.

To be fair to the old Testors kit, it was never meant to represent a F-22A.  The kit was released in 1990, when the only thing that existed was the YF-22 that the kit represents.  A “real” F-22 wouldn’t fly until almost a decade later.

F-22 would have to be done rack-of-the-eye then we would all complain about it not conforming to somebody's annotated photos, so it's therefore an unbuildable dog and so on. That's after someone's spent £125 ,000 on tooling. 

There's plenty of arguably more interesting and popular stuff that may be LIDAR'd, including the missing Century Series, but as it seems to be only the Chinese, Czechs, Germans, Ukrainians and Japanese making a few new tool 1/32 kits it has to appeal to them as investors. 

Ergo, from the modern hangars, we're more likely to see a J-10B Vigorous Dragon or (another) F-35

Tony

Edited by Tony T
editing

Here is the simple math, 1/32 kits don’t sell as well as smaller scale, and the larger scales cost more to produce because of higher detail needed. Also fewer kits mean higher cost, and less sales. We have to accept that there will never be some kits produced in this scale, we can only hope someone sees a need for Raptor in. This scale. Personally, I have always wanted a Val or Kate, but still nothing.

Edited by 1to1scale

36 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

F-22, F-23 eh for me. VAL amd KATE now we're talking. 

This latest generation of fighters like the F-22, F-23, F-35 does absolutely nothing for me. They just don't look cool in my subjective opinion.

A Val or Kate would be fantastic!  Even better would be all these BF-109s we are told in this thread exist!  

Where?  There isn't a modern 1/32 Bf-109 kit for F, G or K models in existence that's worth discussing.

And another question, why is it that the Bf-109 seems to be this forum's whipping boy of choice?  

Is it because it is German and there are a lot of Commonwealth posters in here? 

I don't get it.

11 hours ago, ericg said:

An F-22 would be great, unfortunately manufacturers are falling over themselves to provide us with 109’s instead!

So true, though I would prefer a F-23.

Barry

Was just thinking this today. I made Academy's 1/48 F-22A a few years back, but with some weathering experience under my built, would like to have another go (because doing an F-22 like a Hasegawa side boxart "clean" is ridiculous, they are filthy birds) and the bigger the scale the better.

10 hours ago, ringleheim said:

And another question, why is it that the Bf-109 seems to be this forum's whipping boy of choice?  

Is it because it is German and there are a lot of Commonwealth posters in here? 

I don't get it.

It's nothing to do with any anti 109 attitudes from Commonwealth posters.

It's a legacy of history on here.

Luckily people and things seemed to have moved on but in the past there was a very vociferous group who would "critique" any new 109 (if it wasn't Hasegawa) in a way that we don't see now.

At that time the best way to make a mod's blood run cold was to open a new topic about a "new tool Trumpeter 109". :lol:

They knew it would be jumped on even before any box review and a quote I saw on one release was "a hideous, misshapen hunk of crap".

So that was the attitude that was about at that time.

If you dared build one you had to be prepared for constant whinging and unecessary and often unfounded criticism.

As an example, have a look at my first post on a Trumpeter 109 I "dared" to build back in 2010 just to let me get on with it in peace.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/31093-trumpeter-132-109f-4-trop/

The 109 is a very iconic aircraft but the controversy it used to cough up was quite startling.

There is/was also an ongoing desire for another 109 and another and another.........

I think the general populace got pretty fed up with it all so even now it can still raise a few comments, but I like to think the current climate on here is a lot more mature and far less reactionary.

:)

Edited by PhilB

I don’t think the Bf109 is a “whipping boy” because of any political or nationalist reason.  I think it’s mostly a matter of the fact that it’s been kitted to death, while other desired aircraft have only an ancient kit or no kit at all.  For the longest time, the only 1/32 109s were the ancient Revell kit and the old Hasegawa E.  Then came the new tool Hasegawa kits, the new tool Revell kit, the Trumpeter kits, and on top of that Z-M has announced another new 109 kit.  That’s a total of six 1/32 109 kits, with four of them coming out in the last 20 years and are what would be considered modern tooling.  Compare that to the number of 1/32 Val’s or Kate’s or (insert favorite aircraft that no one kitted) made over all that time.  For a lot of people, the issue is “how many more 109s do we need?”  And for those that say none of the existing 109 kits count because they aren’t “perfect”, at least people have an “imperfect” kit to start from as opposed to having no kit at all.

If Lockheed-Martin had been permitted to sell Japan the F-22Js it wanted (at one time) instead of the Govt barring exports and shutting down the line, more injection moulded scale facsimiles would have followed. 

That didn't happen, but F-35J has, so it seems a natural for store-it-in-the-box polycap treatment — but the Italians got in there first.

Which reminds me, an Italeri F-35B would be quite welcomed. 

As would the Italeri new tool Tonka, which seems to have been moved to the back boiler.

Tony