Sony Coder

1/200 scale Titanic!

Something interesting has happened.  Last month Trumpeter set up an official Facebook page.

Now they are posting pics of the Titanic model and asking for comments.  And they're getting comments!

I do hope that they take the feedback to heart and make the recommended changes.  But the project

is quite a ways along, and I'm not holding out much hope.

https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterChinaModels

Posted (edited)

Things like lifeboats are fixable.  The completely wrong angle of the bow is not fixable, and ruins the whole effect for me.  I’ll keep my money.  Another golden opportunity squandered by the Trumpeter C team.  Even behind the Great Firewall, they could *easily* have gotten 100% verified accurate information with about 15 seconds on Google.  They didn’t.  Again.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

I think that with the type of detail sets from the likes of Eduard and Mk1 design producing photo etch and wooden decks, you can (with a lot of hard work) end up with a excellent large scale model of one of the most recognised ships of all time. Yes, it won't be 100% accurate, but with a good paint job and good modelling skills, it will look awesome, not my cup of tea, I prefer military kits, I'm hoping Trumpeter will bring out a Nimitz class 1/200, not holding my breath! 

I have to agree that that bow angle is a deal breaker, it looks like a WW2 US destroyer.   Unfortunate and confusing,  at this price range it needs to be close to right at least in profile and...... its so well documented as a subject. I have side and deck plans framed in my office.   This is not a kit that mom and dad buy for Johnny for passing school this year.

Its a subject that can be recreated with 100% accuracy....

I don't get it, I really don't get it, and won't get it, 

I totally agree. I like trumpeter kits , but why do they make such silly mistakes on well documented things. Really frustrating.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me a bit: what exactly is the bow problem? Not steep enough?

Thank you!

I’m thinking it’s actually the reverse?

the model appears to have a bit too much bow rake whereas in pictures and drawings the bow is more vertical with a very slight rake right  down to the keel. Not the fist time Trumpeter has made a mistake like this, a friend is currently building their 1/350 USS Hornet and had to cut the ship (model) in half just fwd of the 1/2 way point and rebuild the whole hull up to the front end.!

Looking at the pictures provided, I'm a bit disappointed that in this scale, they opted to leave those thousand or so portholes solid.   Options are to slavishly fill each one with black paint after all the paintwork is done or even more slavishly, drill them all out and use something like white glue to replicate the glass. 

I myself have several books on the Titanic (with more to eventually be purchased), and any of them would have benefited Trumpeter immensely in the design of this kit. Why they wouldn't consult some of the gobs of reference on this ship, is beyond me, as the Titanic is perhaps one of the most documented ships ever.

I still maintain the 'C' design team are in a little hut on a remote hillside with no internet, no trains and just a donkey stumbling over the foot hills once a week with supplies and spare jam jar bottom spectacles.

Graham