hayaman

UNBELIEVABLE P.O

Posted (edited)

Hello-i m addressing this to the  US friends-i m negotiating a sale from the forum and i was stuned from what i heard:a1/32 plane(average i d say,ww2 single sitter) 70$ to send to Europe?!!,ive sent to the US and...Australia with23 registered and insured!-i told the seller (who i don t blame for that until prooving differently)ship.time not important,1 month,no prblm,REALLY YOU HAVE TO PAY 70$ to send a(relatively small in generall scale)packet abroad?please help-thanks a lot

PS:USPS is the official P.O or any courier service?

Edited by hayaman

US international shipping is very high. There is no "surface mail" option from USPS anymore, it's first class, priority, express (latter two even more $$$). Once the box gets too big/heavy, then the minimum method it can be mailed is by priority mail, which probably is what you're running into with the 1/32 kit you're trying to buy. You can use the shipping calculator yourself to look it up rates at usps.com

For comparison, it costs me $20+ to send around only 10 ounce first class package internationally. Even one small decal sheet mailed in a rigid package is at minimum $13 (excluding Canada). Even internally within the US is high too considering the to/from and size/weight of object being shipped. An average size kit (not even 1/32) at 2lbs could cost $20+ easy to just mail from coast to coast within the US alone.

You can go onto the USPS website, and if you know the package dimensions and weight, you can see for yourself what the P.O. will charge for shipping.  Look at the options available and request that the seller use the option you select.  Just be aware that the post office may not always allow cheaper methods like surface shipping to certain countries.  Also, some sellers don’t want to send packages without tracking to protect themselves.

Ask the seller for the weight and dimensions.

7 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

US international shipping is very high. There is no "surface mail" option from USPS anymore, it's first class, priority, express (latter two even more $$$). Once the box gets too big/heavy, then the minimum method it can be mailed is by priority mail, which probably is what you're running into with the 1/32 kit you're trying to buy. You can use the shipping calculator yourself to look it up rates at usps.com

For comparison, it costs me $20+ to send around only 10 ounce first class package internationally. Even one small decal sheet mailed in a rigid package is at minimum $13 (excluding Canada). Even internally within the US is high too considering the to/from and size/weight of object being shipped. An average size kit (not even 1/32) at 2lbs could cost $20+ easy to just mail from coast to coast within the US alone.

coast to coast of course is more or less the same distance to Europe!

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Just be aware that the post office may not always allow cheaper methods like surface shipping to certain countries.  

USPS stopped international surface shipping option over 10yrs or so ago.

7 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You can go onto the USPS website, and if you know the package dimensions and weight, you can see for yourself what the P.O. will charge for shipping.  Look at the options available and request that the seller use the option you select.  Just be aware that the post office may not always allow cheaper methods like surface shipping to certain countries.  Also, some sellers don’t want to send packages without tracking to protect themselves.

Ask the seller for the weight and dimensions.

tracking is a no(or very low)cost option,and i guess charging goes in categories,up to 3 or 5 kgs,far less a 32nd ww2 single sitter weights,thing is 70$ for a 1kg packet(you guess the size+-),is outrageous

1 minute ago, hayaman said:

tracking is a no(or very low)cost option,and i guess charging goes in categories,up to 3 or 5 kgs,far less a 32nd ww2 single sitter weights,thing is 70$ for a 1kg packet(you guess the size+-),is outrageous

Anyway,thank you all

Rule of thumb with buying anything from the US is that by the time you've taken delivery the price has completely doubled. I made the mistake recently of ordering some Action Man figure display boxes which were relatively expensive to start with and after the shipping cost plus VAT and taxes doubled the cost. The only thing I did do was order more than I will ever need so I won't have to repeat the exercise! They were excellent quality btw.

Graham

This seems to be very variable according to the location. Purchasing from the US is becoming now a far worse lottery than even getting items from Asia... :-( I purchased a Fisher kit from a US modeller some months ago and the postal costs were simply insane. Then he proposed to put the parts in a narrower but longer box and the sum became reasonable! What puzzled me was the fact that the Fisher box dimensions looked to me more "standard" than the one he had to use! Weird USPS rules !