1/32 Tamiya P-51 - One Unusual project

tchwrma

Hi, folks. 

I'm getting stuck in the assembly of the two F-5Es in the multi-engine group, still awaiting the arrival of the cockpit sets, so I'm going to start the second project of the year, a bit earlier than planned.
This is the fabulous Tamiya P-51D / K, in my opinion the best P-51 kit on any scale.
My project is to represent a plane very different from the normal ones.
I've always wanted to make a restored P-51, preferably one that has a completely polished surface except for wings, of course.
My choice after extensive research was that of the Red Dog, a plane so well restored that it received awards for the perfection of the restoration.

This is the plane:

YhDM63j.jpg

aQYj8uu.jpg

And this is the kit:

WeIrrSb.jpg

Soon the 1st pics.

Paulo.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice!  Are you going to use Alclad/AKI metal type paints or go foil?

Kitchen/household foil is always a nice option for the super polished birds.......................

Here in Brazil we have a new paint called Welkmann chrome effect, who get a perfect chrome painting, and accept varnish without lose bright. I will use this paint.

Alclad not gave me the real chrome effect.

And we thought that only the Chinese made bullshit about the kits. When I opened the box I was surprised that it had a duplicate tree inside. Except that now when starting, I realized that this extra tree was not the only bug in the kit. They have forgotten another whole tree in the kit, which makes it impossible to mount. It was not a "gift" but an exchange! I thought Tamiya's packing control was better than that! And it's a very expensive kit ..

I thought about contacting the manufacturer, but I reminded them that they would have me order the "wonderful" distributor in Brazil, which would lead to a wait of at least six months. I can not expect all of this because the idea is to take the kit to an open here in Brazil in August ...

The solution found was to search for the missing tree on EBay, because some sellers separate the trees from expensive kits, and sell separately.
I was able to buy my tree for $ 26.00 including mail.
Now just wait for the delivery. Again...

But since it is a tree where most of the pieces will be used in the final stages of the kit, I will continue the assembly and praying for the "incredible" Brazilian postal system to deliver the tree to me in time ...

Paulo

Anyway, let's go to the 1st photos:

some afters available for assembly. Not everything will be used, of course.

BnCQQQH.jpg

To start, the cockpit. In this airplane, as in most of the restored, The cockpit is biplace. On some airplanes, the rear cockpit is a fully functioning front end mirror.
At Red Dog it's different. The rear cockpit contains only the seat for the guest, and nothing else.
But even then there are modifications to be made.
Here the parts of the original kit and side cockpit:

f0jP9d3.jpg

DRkhcbb.jpg

This side is very different from the original, who requires some scratch:

Z1LRwgO.jpg

OXqj8jy.jpg

The two sides of the kit.

HxO41SH.jpg

The cockpit floor, modified by scratch:

H3EP22U.jpg

e5wOMxx.jpg

A finding on the choice of this particular plane:
Because it's a brand-new airplane, there's no dirt or grime to play with, and the cockpit is all bright.
Outside, too. Not a wash I can do, because in the photos I have, everything is clean.

Now, the wings. The P-51 wings not have rivets shown in the wings, and the modeler usually shows only some lines, present in the original planes.

But in this plane, none of the lines appears. All of them was hidden, and the wings show only the ammo doors and a feu access panels.

k00hHFi.jpg

XnkveTE.jpg

C9lOmqS.jpg

Looking at the photos I was in doubt whether the wings were painted light gray or alumilac.

These photos helped show me that the wings are painted in alumilac:

SkLpBjO.jpg

tQIqaHA.jpg

XeNoPD4.jpg

Then I covered the wings with Tamiya white putty, diluted in Lacquer thinner, and then sanded them in several grains of sandpaper, to cover what should not appear. It's a shame because the rivets and panel lines are finely represented in the Tamiya kit. But there was no other way.

qMw7Kep.jpg

rdMEdvO.jpg

m8HnSJN.jpg

I painted and finished the instrument panel from te kit's parts, but decided not use them. I will assemble the PE panel, to see if it more suitable.

inDLBQq.jpg

For now, is this. More to come

Paulo.

Some updates.

The wings, sanded:

Iwz0hOT.jpg

HrORQ91.jpg

Here the ejection holes closed and sanded:

vLf7OD6.jpg

And then with primer:

sQD4Yqj.jpg

FPAwnHE.jpg

R1XgOt8.jpg

I will have to correct some little errors :

vNHyXvJ.jpg

gJYCZ08.jpg

The engine:

jjHAlEQ.jpg

WINWsqA.jpg

H3uyccc.jpg

Painted:

CnpOqeE.jpg

uxT7lGy.jpg

reMxX1U.jpg

Yhe lower radiator case:

cvmjBGJ.jpg

QlEG0Zd.jpg

udCDzeQ.jpg

0TtnHPx.jpg

Then, glued in place:

VGR08Eq.jpg

The cockpit:

eoeRYM6.jpg

bWIQ3n6.jpg

This will be a quick job. Tamiya is really the best kit to assemble.

More to come!

Paulo.

I'm enjoying watching this Paolo, as I have to add a rear seat to my Mustang project (although facing rearwards, since the second seat was to operate the target towing winch). Nice work on the two-seat conversion!

Edited by DerekB

7 hours ago, DerekB said:

I'm enjoying watching this Paolo, as I have to add a rear seat to my Mustang project (although facing rearwards, since the second seat was to operate the target towing winch). Nice work on the two-seat conversion!

Thanks, Derek.

If you need some help in your project, just call. As I understood, you will transform an P-51D in a TF-51D. If this is your project, be in mind that the TF-51D canopy is very different from the normal plane. You will need to made one by scratch.

My original plane to be represented it was the "tempus Fugit". I only changed my target, when discovered that that pane it was an TF-51D. Then I choosed the Red Dog, who uses the late canopy. And of course, I was too very tempted because the shinning finish of this plane.

Paulo.

Hi Paulo,

actually, my project is an Australian civilian-operated target towing Mustang, with a second seat and target winch installed behind the pilot. Luckily this conversion used a standard canopy. Here's a link to the (slow) build log:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/75745-aussie-target-tug-mustang/