Tamiya Factory Corsair *finished*

Gisbod

I think there is really nothing wrong with the engine. It looks great. Are you gonna leave a panel off of the rear engine bay so you can see all the things you are making there?

4 hours ago, Fvdm said:

I think there is really nothing wrong with the engine. It looks great. Are you gonna leave a panel off of the rear engine bay so you can see all the things you are making there?

Thanks Fvdm

Yep, will be all stripped back I think..

4 hours ago, Thunnus said:

You are rolling along on this build, Guy!  The engine turned out great and the rear engine bay adds a lot of visual interest to the build.

Thanks John,

yes, I think it will..

Guy

Afternoon all,

It’s coming along a bit faster now as I’ve got all those fiddly bits out of the way. I’ve recently finished the undercarriage legs and these epitomise the kit; a huge amount of parts, incredibly detailed and with a flawless fit despite the complexity, but they did take a whole evening just to glue together!

Here’s how they look with a primer coat on. They are going to be aluminium, as per the late model colour call outs.

4240605-B-FDCF-4-F3-B-B94-E-C9-CA79351-B

But the main event is that I’ve finally put paint to model. Here she is primed with a little pre shading. The bulk of the airframe will be primer green.

26-CC7227-9-CE4-4-DD5-B54-B-442-EEDDE2-F

Guy

22 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work Guy!   Ive not seen green pre-shading before, but it really seems to work here............looks great

Thanks Brian,

I'm going to be using MRP paints and these are very translucent so I thought black would be too strong.

Guy

1 minute ago, Gisbod said:

I'm going to be using MRP paints and these are very translucent so I thought black would be too strong.

Yep! Its my favorite shooting paint through the AB that Ive ever used. As you say, thin to the point of "ink" as they say, and you can build up layers of it for a natural look. 

As MM is now phasing out, I am fully stocking up on MRP, and Im really enjoying using it, as well as the newly found opportunity to use all those super cool AKI enamel weathering products! 

Yep, totally agree Brian! I love ‘em :)

I’m on a roll now, and I’ve started with the green primed effect on the fuselage. Copied from numerous photographs of production lines and other builds I’ve seen. I really like it, it looks interesting to me and it’s actually a pleasure not weathering or chipping for a change! Wings will be blue. 

I’m planning on having one wing on/ one wing off, but nearly all the factory shots show the wing to be at 90 degrees rather than the fully folded position, which I can’t help feeling rather hides the model to a degree. The issue is having to cut the joint off and then being able to secure it properly in the new position, I’ll have a think on this.

Guy

8796459-B-EFF8-4043-A76-E-989603-E114-EB

34-CA405-A-3-CD1-451-F-90-A1-36-A527-E49

Edited by Gisbod

On 5/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Ryan said:

Guy been laying low and missed this, superb work and clear pics.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,

I’ve been missing your build updates!

So having given the wing join angle some thought, I took the plunge and went ahead. Here’s what I was starting with:

8-C4-DD715-CB45-45-C8-9-B23-55678-FE5-CC

Here was the scary bit, mid saw. I basically thought I could effectively saw the joint in half, leaving an overlapping flange (if that makes sense):

E9-F81840-0-AF6-4837-90-AB-47268-C45-DC0

Then I drilled a hole in the inner wing joint and the outer support and am using brass rod to give the joint some strength, then when I’m ready to attach the wing I should just be able to glue it all together - hopefully :huh:

7-B7-FAB64-ACBC-4651-B183-3996-EE7-BFFF1

Thanks for looking in,

Guy

Really amazing work you're doing here Guy! I too have been inspired to do a production line version using the corsair. I really like the green you've used; looks much more appropriate than the brighter yellow I've seen in this case!

Good work on the wing mod..... I know how stressful cutting into a perfectly good model can be!

Cheers,

Craig

15 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Really amazing work you're doing here Guy! I too have been inspired to do a production line version using the corsair. I really like the green you've used; looks much more appropriate than the brighter yellow I've seen in this case!

Good work on the wing mod..... I know how stressful cutting into a perfectly good model can be!

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks Craig, yes, I like that green - it’s an MRP colour, I know the interior colours varied a lot from early to late models - I’m not sure about the primer, but it looks about right to me. 

And thank you Brian & Gazza.

Here’s  the undercarriage painted - all aluminium:

B514-EFDB-8-E66-418-A-BA93-20-B54-EA4300

As I’ve said before, I like the vinyl tyres, particularly as I wanted them to look new, that said, there is a seam line that is a total pain in the a*** to remove, as it’s quite a soft vinyl so you can’t get any grip on it to cut, but did the best I could...

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Gisbod