LSP_Kevin

Server Database Engine Upgrade

Howdy folks,

Just a quick heads-up:

The database engine on our server is in dire need of an upgrade, being quite old now, and not really able to support planned future forum software updates. I've been putting this task off for quite a while now, as it's not an easy or risk-free job. However, I'm having some minor surgery tomorrow that requires I have all of next week off work to recuperate, which will give me a 10-day window to tackle this upgrade. So, that's what I'm planning to do! Unfortunately I can't nail down a day or time yet, as I need to see how I come out of the surgery, and what my recovery is like, before I can commit to a time frame. Both the website and forums will be down for the duration of the upgrade, so I'll try to give everyone as much advance notice as possible, but I'd hope it would only be for an hour or so. I'm also planning to do it as early into the 10-day window as possible, so it could even be over the Easter weekend.

More info when I have it!

Kev

Database engines,  It's all black magic to me Kev but I hope all goes well. Also I hope the minor surgery is not serious and goes well for you. The surgery and recovery are vastly more important that anything else so take care of yourself first.

Good luck

Den

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Database engines,  It's all black magic to me Kev but I hope all goes well. Also I hope the minor surgery is not serious and goes well for you. The surgery and recovery are vastly more important that anything else so take care of yourself first.

Good luck

Den

Agreed, on both counts.

OK folks, it's mid-morning Sunday here, and I'm planning to execute this upgrade some time over the next couple of hours. Once the process starts, both the forums and website will be offline for the duration. I'll keep everybody posted about progress (or problems!) on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/largescaleplanes/

Kev

I'll be interesting to hear whether members are finding things generally faster after the upgrade, and I hope they are! But the main focus of the upgrade was compatibility, rather than performance. Let's hope we get improvements in both areas.

Kev

Things are a lot faster for me: using Firefox on W10.

Many thanks for your efforts Kev, and hope the recovery's proceeding well.

Yep, much much faster.

I don't get the "waiting for Largescaleplanes" at the borrom of the screen anymore, nor do I get the "Loading" icon when moving from page to page in a topic which was pretty regular.

Firefox on W8.