Erwin

Game of Thrones 8 : WITH SPOILERS !!!!

I thought that the last episode was shot way too dark.

They filmed Hardhome and Battle of the B*****ds in broad daylight, why not that last one ? It would have been much more enjoyable.

And tactics wise, why waste the light cavalry, like that ? Enemy not even in sight... Let's just charge them.

Seemed like a waste of an episode to me.

The good news is Sansa no longer has to worry about how she is going to feed and quarter everyone over the winter and also Daenerys no longer has to worry about feeding her Dragons as there is tons of fresh meat lying about :)

Posted (edited)

I have read it was partly for effect and partly for budgetry reasons, easier to kill of the riders with good effect by showing lights going out, than to have to generate expensive CGI hoards of dead and living fighting.

And tactics wise, why waste the light cavalry, like that ? Enemy not even in sight... Let's just charge them.

It happens in war,  the charge of the light brigade is  a classic example of a **** up.

Edited by TonyT

Posted (edited)

They also didn't use the catapults to their full potentional.

They should have used them much earlier before the charge.Now they only did during the charge.

Not that it would have made much difference in numbers of dead walkers.

Just from a military point of view.

It was a dark episode.Sometimes hard to see anything.

But all the scenes with fire had a much larger effect at night.

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Longbow_06 said:

They filmed Hardhome and Battle of the B*****ds in broad daylight, why not that last one ? It would have been much more enjoyable.

Seemed like a waste of an episode to me.

I thought that too. Yesterday my nephew told me if I watched it via streaming, which I did, that it is really grainy. All the snow and stuff in the air doesn't transfer well via streaming on Hula. He said he watched it on regular TV and it was way better. Going to have to try that myself and see if there's a difference. maybe others on here have both and can tell us if there's any merit to this thought?

I really liked the last episode and consider it one of the best to date! 

In doing a lot of online reading at various GOT enthusiast websites, I would say it is fair to say that the episode was generally poorly received.  

They are clearly setting things up for the final human battle to decide who sits on the Iron Throne, but there is a problem!

The "good guys" army was just completely decimated and I'm not sure with what army they are supposed to fight Cersei! 

They do still have 2 dragons at their disposal, and if we know anything about warfare in the age of air power, it's this: if you have air superiority and your enemy doesn't, your enemy is finished before the battle even starts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

They do still have 2 dragons at their disposal, and if we know anything about warfare in the age of air power, it's this: if you have air superiority and your enemy doesn't, your enemy is finished before the battle even starts.

She knows that there will be dragons.

So I'm sure Cersei will have air-defence.

Several ballista's placed at strategic high-points will give her a good chance .

bronn-swinging-the-scorpion-around-to-ta

Edited by Erwin

It's always a crap shoot trying to predict what will happen with GOT episodes.  One, they are pretty good at surprising us, and two, they are not always perfect and sometimes ignore things that should not have been ignored.

Yes - Cercei knows there are at least two dragons.  And she also knows that the monster cross bow is effective (as demonstrated in the battle of the loot train).  So you can bet there will be "flak stations" all over Kings Landing.  But Danaerys knows this as well.  She and Jon and company surely will devise a plan to defeat the flak guns.  Whether it works or not - ??

It looks like the Dothraki hoard is just about non-existent.  That's a big deal.  I am not sure about the unsullied army.  At a minimum, they are a smaller army now.  I guess this Sunday we will see an assessment of the forces of the good guys.  Remember they will not be meeting the Lannister army - it was decimated in the loot train battle.  Instead the opponent will be the mercenaries from across the shallow sea.  We shall see how effective they are. 

And we still have to factor in the Iron Islands. What part will they play?

You just mentioned an important part: the bad guys are now just mercenaries if we do not really consider the Ironborn sailors! And for the latter, as soon as they will know the Greyjoy heir went back home, I'm not that certain they will stay in Kingslanding.

So, to me, the main vulnerability of Cersei is precisely that aspect: money. Hence, I would not be surprised seeing that the victory will not only be reached on the battlefield...

BTW, I love the "flak stations" idea... :D

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

I thought that too. Yesterday my nephew told me if I watched it via streaming, which I did, that it is really grainy. All the snow and stuff in the air doesn't transfer well via streaming on Hula. He said he watched it on regular TV and it was way better. Going to have to try that myself and see if there's a difference. maybe others on here have both and can tell us if there's any merit to this thought?

The cinematographer claims if it was too dark, its your fault. The director of Independence Day says that's a crock of s#!t.

Posted (edited)

It was the music that bugged me if I closed my eyes I could have been watching westworld, they have a cracking theme score but chose an at odds piano solo.

Edited by TonyT

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

It was the music that bugged me if I closed my eyes I could have been watching westworld, they have a cracking theme score but chose an at odds piano solo.

It's the same composer and music supervisor, so that makes sense.  Ramin Djawadi does incredible work though.

Matt 

Posted (edited)

Going back to Ep 3.

Why wasn't Bran given a weapon of dragonglass or Valyrian steel,hidden under his coat, to kill the Night King ?

He knew he was comming for him.If the NK was close enough he could at least have tried to kill him.

It would have made a lot more sence than Arya jumping on the NK out of nowhere.

Edited by Erwin