Operation Pocket Money A-7E & A-6A

Hi guys,

I've had the itch to mine Haiphong Harbor (Operation Pocket Money) lately. Thus far it seems like information is pretty scant. Three A-6A's from VMA-AW-224, and six A-7E's from VA-22 & VA-94 carried out the mining on the morning of May 9th 1972, and effectively closed the harbor. The A-6A's used Mk. 52 mines, while the A-7E's used the older Mk. 36 mines, four per aircraft.

I'd like to build either a VA-22 or VA-94 jet that flew the mission. I can get 3D printed mines,  but the thing eluding me now is finding out the BuNo of the A-7's involved. Internet searches have provided general overviews of the operation, and a couple of pics of the mines under a VA-94 jet, but no overall pics of the jets with the mines. Does anyone have anything? Also, decals seem to be non-existant. I was thinking that I might be able to use a CAM Pro sheet with later VA-22 markings, and back date them (assuming that I can find a pic of a jet involved), but in the pics of this sheet that I've seen, the blue looks too light. Can anyone with the sheet in hand comment? Thanks in advance for your input! Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

I did this research a few years ago...I have the 3D printed mines as well....

Pocket Money was three unique strikes:

09 May '72:  You have the correct squadrons and loads.  

11 August '72:  VA-75, VA-37, VA-105 reseeded the mine fields.  

17 Dec '72: VA-145, VA-113, VA-25 reseeded as well.  

Maybe you can find those other A-7 squadrons in 1/32 to open up some options for you.  

Cheers

Collin 

Here are some reports of mining operations:

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1683/168300011235.pdf

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1683/168300011236.pdf

although Operation Pocket Money is the more known mining operations, mining was done on a regular basis of other areas, here is a A-7A with a load of Mk-36 Destructors:

4954390_orig.jpg

even F-4s did some mining:

x.jpg

Jari

Pocket Money was specifically geared toward mining Haiphong's harbor and entrances.  Navy was mining inland and near shore waterways with Destructors a lot during the war.  For example, no F-4's participated in the mine laying of Pocket Money (just A-6's and A-7's)....so many of these photos are for the other operations using Destructors to slow the flow of supplies South.

The white band is the primary indicator for the Destructor series.  

What Finn posted is pretty much the best info I have found on Pocket Money and other mining operations.  As a former CVW Mining Officer.....it was required reading in mine school.  

Collin

One thing to note, according to the reports posted above, on the first mission only Mk 52 mines were used, because of their longer delay options.  36 in all, 4 per a/c including the A-7s. A total of 108 Mk 52 mines were used during the whole operation and over 11,000 Mk-36 Destructors were laid.

Jari

16 hours ago, Finn said:

One thing to note, according to the reports posted above, on the first mission only Mk 52 mines were used, because of their longer delay options.  36 in all, 4 per a/c including the A-7s. A total of 108 Mk 52 mines were used during the whole operation and over 11,000 Mk-36 Destructors were laid.

Jari

Huh..... The info that I came across said that the A-7E's carried four Mk.36 mines apiece. Regarding the mines over on Shapeways, I've been tempted to order, but in 32nd scale they're $30+ each. After shipping and all, that's about a $130 bomb load! I wonder if i could clone one in resin...... :hmmm:

On 4/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, Finn said:

Here are some reports of mining operations:

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1683/168300011235.pdf

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1683/168300011236.pdf

although Operation Pocket Money is the more known mining operations, mining was done on a regular basis of other areas, here is a A-7A with a load of Mk-36 Destructors:

even F-4s did some mining:

x.jpg

Jari

Ahhhh... beautiful! Thank you so much Jari! Finally some photo's to work from, and good intel too! :yahoo::bow: Fred K.

3 hours ago, f5guy said:

Huh..... The info that I came across said that the A-7E's carried four Mk.36 mines apiece. Regarding the mines over on Shapeways, I've been tempted to order, but in 32nd scale they're $30+ each. After shipping and all, that's about a $130 bomb load! I wonder if i could clone one in resin...... :hmmm:

If you are looking to do a Pocket Money Haiphong Harbor minning aircraft, use the MK-52. That’s what the Intruders and Corsair IIs used to mine the deeper channels. Smaller/shallower channels were seeded with MK-36. 

Cheers

Collin

From a modelling point, to make a Mk-36 Destructor use a Mk-82 Snakeye (most commonly used) add a black disc between the nose fuze and bomb body, paint a white band around the body of the bomb and 4 white stripes near the tail:

271.jpg

here is a USS Coral Sea site:

https://www.usscoralsea.net/pics1970s2.php

you may find a Bunumber among the pics there.

Jari