DeanKB

New Modelling Den

Maybe move the cork boards and wall mount the tele if you really need it in there. It’s taking up valuable desk space where it is. Space that could be used to home kits I’m yet to sell you from my stash. 

8 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Maybe move the cork boards and wall mount the tele if you really need it in there. It’s taking up valuable desk space where it is. Space that could be used to home kits I’m yet to sell you from my stash. 

Good idea - move the cork board over to the right, then hang the tele in the middle.

You did have a Corsair that grabbed my attention, if I remember.....

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

Good idea - move the cork board over to the right, then hang the tele in the middle.

You did have a Corsair that grabbed my attention, if I remember.....

I actually started on the Corsair. 

12 hours ago, DeanKB said:

About bloody time!

Yeeeeeeeeah about that. I put it away and started working on a Bf 109E instead. This seems to be the way I operate now. Problem with having a stash versus the days where I bought a kit, built the kit, finished the kit, hung it on the ceiling when I lived at home (parents cursed the hundred off pin holes in the ceiling when I moved out) then went and bought another kit. I wasn't scale specific then either so could have been any size, prop or jet. Even used kit decals and no aftermarket until I had finances for the bigger, better Tamiya type kits. Then I moved out (I was late doing that as I had no idea where my life was going at that point) bought a house, eventually finances allowed some disposable pennies at the end of each month and then a stash happened. Modest by most standards, its never topped 30 kits maybe even 20 but it has revolved a lot, kits bought and sold and bought again and all that. So yeah, i get distracted a fair bit and interest arises and wanes at a rate that seems to dismiss the notion of ever finishing anything.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

Yeeeeeeeeah about that. I put it away and started working on a Bf 109E instead. This seems to be the way I operate now. Problem with having a stash versus the days where I bought a kit, built the kit, finished the kit, hung it on the ceiling when I lived at home (parents cursed the hundred off pin holes in the ceiling when I moved out) then went and bought another kit. I wasn't scale specific then either so could have been any size, prop or jet. Even used kit decals and no aftermarket until I had finances for the bigger, better Tamiya type kits. Then I moved out (I was late doing that as I had no idea where my life was going at that point) bought a house, eventually finances allowed some disposable pennies at the end of each month and then a stash happened. Modest by most standards, its never topped 30 kits maybe even 20 but it has revolved a lot, kits bought and sold and bought again and all that. So yeah, i get distracted a fair bit and interest arises and wanes at a rate that seems to dismiss the notion of ever finishing anything.

Ade, I'm 51, I still don't know what I want to do!

What we have here is, I think, pretty common amongst the modelling fraternity - a complete lack of kit discipline. Some will start a kit and then diligently complete that kit, utterly ignoring the stash until the last coat of varnish has dried, although I've yet to meet one.

I think it's the thrill & excitement of opening up a new kit, breaking the plastic bags, reading the instructions, gazing at the AM decals and other AM bits, and snipping pieces off. I suppose it's consumerism gone nuts?

Anyhow - fear not. You are normal. Shelves of doom are everywhere, replete with perfectly good kits - like Tamiya Corsairs - that people have just moved on from to get their latest modelling buzz. In fact, I'd be more concerned if you were carefully building one kit at a time, for I'm pretty sure that's not healthy.

Unfortunately for you, when I buy the Corsair from you, I'm expecting a "started-kit" discount now!  As well as the Cymru discount.

12 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Looks brilliant!  HOw will you heat it in winter?  Space heater?  And will all of your paints separate if frozen?

Gaz

Couple of space heaters, on timers. So I'll experiment with how long they need to come on for, but being Wales, it'll be cold.

All my paints are Tamiya acrylics - I'm a simple soul who enjoys having functioning lungs - so freezing should be OK.

Having said that, the entire shed is well insulated - 50mm of PIR on the roof & floor, 25mm in the walls, 6mm of MDF on top, with double-glazed windows. So I'm hoping that is sufficient, together with the space heaters coming on for, say, an hour each evening, to keep the temperature well above zero. Zero Centigrade, that is, rather than your odd American Fahrenheit freezing point of 32 Degrees, which in Centigrade is tropically warm! 

Only time will tell. RIght now, it's summer and the shed remains very cool during hot weather (yes, we sometimes get hot weather in Wales), so that's encouraging. I've another uninsulated shed, and that's too hot to stand in for more than a minute without sweating like Donald Trump's tax accountant. But the modelling shed remains lovely and cool in the same weather.

Having said that, I may be scraping ice off my models come winter - you never know!

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

Ade, I'm 51, I still don't know what I want to do!

What we have here is, I think, pretty common amongst the modelling fraternity - a complete lack of kit discipline. Some will start a kit and then diligently complete that kit, utterly ignoring the stash until the last coat of varnish has dried, although I've yet to meet one.

I think it's the thrill & excitement of opening up a new kit, breaking the plastic bags, reading the instructions, gazing at the AM decals and other AM bits, and snipping pieces off. I suppose it's consumerism gone nuts?

Anyhow - fear not. You are normal. Shelves of doom are everywhere, replete with perfectly good kits - like Tamiya Corsairs - that people have just moved on from to get their latest modelling buzz. In fact, I'd be more concerned if you were carefully building one kit at a time, for I'm pretty sure that's not healthy.

Unfortunately for you, when I buy the Corsair from you, I'm expecting a "started-kit" discount now!  As well as the Cymru discount.

The Corsair will get finished. I waited far to long for the D series kit, my preferred version. I have given up waiting for a Fleet Air Arm boxing of the kit. I waited so long in fact I bought the F4u-1A boxing and sold it and bought another and sold that also when the D was finally announced. I do have the feeling though, like my Tamiya Mosquito it will become long term and picked at in small doses as the builds can be quite a process as with all the Tamiya kits, lots and lots of pieces so become quite a process and can become a bit of a slog at times. The Mossie is something I sometimes work on when waiting for some glue or paint to dry on the current project. The thing with a stash is, it’s not like having piles of food in the fridge or cupboard, it doesn’t go out of date, shouldn’t spoil if stored correctly so there’s no use by or build by date to worry about, if for some reason the stash outlives me there’s not much to worry about for I shall be gone and it’ll be someone else’s problem to dispose of. 

I haven't looked at the contents of my -1a or D in a while, but doesn't either or even both come with the shortened FAA wingtips? 

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I haven't looked at the contents of my -1a or D in a while, but doesn't either or even both come with the shortened FAA wingtips? 

The 1D does indeed have separate wing tips. However whilst the kit provides the wing tips for a factory USN 1D I cant see any wing tip caps for a FAA version on the sprues. Problem might be surmountable with some half round evergreen sanded to a correct profile, maybe not. It's not something I've really researched to be honest, I dont even know if the cut line is inboard enough. There were also vents added in a few places for FAA Corsairs to vent out fumes that built up in the fuselage.

Posted (edited)

Again I wonder why Roy / Barracuda never made the tips and scoops for a FAA Corsair?

he made various bit for the Revell Spit to backdate from a MkII to a MkI and yet I’m sure this would be more popular...

Edited by nmayhew

Those scoops didn’t look too hard to scratchbuild but the problem I have is dimensions.  Yeovilton’s was too far out of reach last time I was there and the drawings in Jennings’s instructions weren’t terribly clear when I printed them due to the dark background (to be fair though, the instructions were only for decal placement).