DeanKB

New Modelling Den

I HATE spiders too.  This year we have a huge deer tick infestation too, I've found several in my yard. 

You don't want one of these little buggers burrowing into your skin and giving you Lyme Disease 

deer-tick_thumb.ngsversion.1496444436829

Apparently I got nailed by a spider a little over a week ago. Last Thursday I noticed what appeared to be a very unusual mark on my arm; pink and swollen in the center, surrounded by a ring of yellow, surrounded by a ring of dark purple, surrounded by another ring of yellow (all together roughly the size of a quarter). All healed up now (thank goodness), but with two faint puncture marks visible. I never felt it and it never itched.

Indeed Ron, we used to go primative camping a lot in rural NE, and we had a LOT of ticks too.........to the point that we had to get a tool called the "tick wrangler". 

The current wife found 4 baby ticks on her belt line we had to remove with  piece of wire we heated in the fire; needless to say we have not been back to those kinds of parks, especially after it rains.

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

I have a mouse in the model shack that eats decal ink.

He ruined the sheet on my WNW Alby build. He didn't eat the paper mind you, just scraped off the inks.

Ryan

Peanut butter makes a better offering...  in a trap!

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Peanut butter makes a better offering...  in a trap!

My cat catches mice, then brings them into the house totally unharmed. I then have to find them & release them back into the woods at the rear of our garden, before they chew through something or other.

Must be kind of bewildering & scary for the mice - I just hope it's not the same mouse over and over - "Oh crap, it's that bloody cat again, I'd better play dead."

Have a cat and two dogs sleeping in the house at night.  The other day I had to remove a dead mouse that one of them had left on the floor.  No idea which one it was.  Sadly, the rodents here have chewed two holes completely through the drywall in my house.  Gyprock for Pete's sake!  I hope they don't develop a taste for models and model related products.

8 hours ago, DeanKB said:

My cat catches mice, then brings them into the house totally unharmed. I then have to find them & release them back into the woods at the rear of our garden, before they chew through something or other.

Must be kind of bewildering & scary for the mice - I just hope it's not the same mouse over and over - "Oh crap, it's that bloody cat again, I'd better play dead."

lol....  I'd bet it was the same one.  Next time, put a little paint on his back before you set him free...lol

i love this thread - so many funny comments

Dean, 

where do / did you get all the Rexx exhausts?

I thought they weren't actually around yet...I have never seen any 'in the flesh' / in a proper review etc

3 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Dean, 

I thought they weren't actually around yet...I have never seen any 'in the flesh' / in a proper review etc

You've been missing out......

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2153

and

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2127

17 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Dean, 

EBay, where I get most of my purchases from.

There was a chap in Europe & he was selling a batch, so I basically cleaned him out of everything he had, because they are so bloody thin on the ground these days.

Found him!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/scalehobby-eu

Here is his Rexx 1/32 stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=rexx&_ssn=scalehobby-eu&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rexx+1%2F32&_sacat=0

Prices have gone up a bit - thanks, Brexit - and the prices make more sense if you buy in bulk, spread the shipping costs.

That's my excuse, anyway.

Don't worry about reviews - if you see any you want & the price is reasonable, just buy them. They are superb.

Just to give an indication of how well the insulation is working in the shed.

Yesterday's outside temperature in the garden:

20190715_135439

Same day & time, the temperature in the shed:

20190715_135209

It really makes a huge difference. Without the insulation, it would be unbearable in there.

The real test will come in the winter. We don't get many 30 degree + days in Wales, but we tend to get lots of cold, wet days in the winter. If the insulation can work equally well in reverse and keep the interior temperature significantly higher than the outside, I'll have many a day's happy modelling in there during the dark, dank winter days to come, without having to wear a coat, scarf & gloves.