DeanKB

New Modelling Den

I had a 10x14 shed in my back yard, that also had dual lofts, bought from Cook buildings here in the US. Delivered, dropped in place, for $2000. I'd post up a picture of it, but don't have access to my photos right now.

On June 24, 2019 at 9:47 AM, DeanKB said:

Um, no.

There is no permanent electricity supply, but I'm off to B&Q to get a fire extinguisher.

Now.

How do you bring in electricy?  I must have missed this somewhere in the thread...

sorry.  I need lights and some heat and or cooling.

Rick

Cool shed!  In California, you would need to wage a constant war against spiders, black widows really like spaces like that.   We just found a next of them in the front office were I work!

In this country you’re only allowed a height of 2.5m if it’s within 2m of your property boundary line and 4m if it’s more than 2m before you have to go fill in forms and get planning permission. There’s also probably a whole host of other things only the sort of Uber keen Town Hall types are aware of too knowing this country. But those are the main restrictions I discovered when I was considering doing a similar thing to Dean. Only mine would have been a little bigger as it would have had to double as a work room and a storage shed for the usual crap that comes along with home ownership. Can’t convert the loft either thanks to the construction of the roof. By the time the trusses and whatnot are boarded up and the floor made safe for my bulk to walk on I’d be left with space slightly larger than the box for my 1/24 Hellcat. I really do need to move on up the property ladder. 

Well, you've brought the"under the roof" storage to perfection!

But you can still build a separate den for the models.

Who needs garden, anyway?

;)

Juraj

10 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

How do you bring in electricy?  I must have missed this somewhere in the thread...

sorry.  I need lights and some heat and or cooling.

Rick

20190712_130212

I just plug it into the house. 

6 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

In this country you’re only allowed a height of 2.5m if it’s within 2m of your property boundary line and 4m if it’s more than 2m before you have to go fill in forms and get planning permission. There’s also probably a whole host of other things only the sort of Uber keen Town Hall types are aware of too knowing this country. But those are the main restrictions I discovered when I was considering doing a similar thing to Dean. Only mine would have been a little bigger as it would have had to double as a work room and a storage shed for the usual crap that comes along with home ownership. Can’t convert the loft either thanks to the construction of the roof. By the time the trusses and whatnot are boarded up and the floor made safe for my bulk to walk on I’d be left with space slightly larger than the box for my 1/24 Hellcat. I really do need to move on up the property ladder. 

Plus, a shed in north Wales would immediately be be seen as luxury accommodation, and you'd have a queue of people trying to rent the bloody thing.

You've done well to get on the property ladder at all. My nephew bought his first house in Bristol last year, with his Mrs. First ever house - £330k!!!!, with a 5% deposit!! Just a negative equity trap waiting to happen. My first house, back in 1991, cost £47k. Kids these days have a hell of a job getting a house, no wonder most end up renting.

10 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Cool shed!  In California, you would need to wage a constant war against spiders, black widows really like spaces like that.   We just found a next of them in the front office were I work!

If I see a spider, I run in the opposite direction and get the wife to go get it and release it into the wild. I am petrified by spiders, absolutely scared to death. I saw one in the bedroom last week, I had to go sleep in the spare room, after I swapped my pants (British pants. Trousers are trousers, pants are pants - why mix them up?!)

14 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I say Dean...  you must be the first to explore the idea of styrene ceiling insulation.

There's 5cm of double foiled insulation board on the roof already, underneath the shingles. I could have saved myself the time & money and just used kits! However, it works beautifully, and the shed remains lovely and cool, despite the very un-Welsh 25+ degrees Celsius temperatures we've been experiencing recently (77 in US temperatures. Trust the US to have bigger temperatures)

15 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I had a 10x14 shed in my back yard, that also had dual lofts, bought from Cook buildings here in the US. Delivered, dropped in place, for $2000. I'd post up a picture of it, but don't have access to my photos right now.

I suppose that's down to the cheap and easy availability of timber in the US, together with no 20% VAT, of course? Even so, that's ridiculously cheap. Crazy. 

Yep, mine was £125,000 back in 2006 for a basic 2 bedroom starter home, pretty much shoe box sized, the style doesn't really alter throughout the UK so I'm sure most here can picture it. Bought with a 5% deposit, been through the negative equity hell when the global markets fell apart in 2008/2009. Thankfully I now owe a good chunk less than the buying price on the Mortgage and the market has eventually climbed back up and it is worth what I initially paid again.

Dean when you are storing them on the ceiling, it may be time for professional help. :D

Great idea.

Ryan

28 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Dean when you are storing them on the ceiling, it may be time for professional help. :D

Great idea.

Ryan

Agreed!

I need to find a stash reduction psychiatrist.

"I knew I was in serious trouble when I started nailing kits to the ceiling. When I started storing kits in the fridge, oven and microwave, I knew I'd gone too far. The dogs didn't like sharing their dog baskets with 1/32 Stukas, but the last straw came when I had to keep continually posting 100 kits to myself, purely to utilise the Post Office's warehousing facilities ".

10 hours ago, DeanKB said:

If I see a spider, I run in the opposite direction and get the wife to go get it and release it into the wild. I am petrified by spiders, absolutely scared to death. I saw one in the bedroom last week, I had to go sleep in the spare room, after I swapped my pants (British pants. Trousers are trousers, pants are pants - why mix them up?!)

Gotta admire a man who can admit his fears to his peers. 

I once woke in the middle of a warm night and made my way to the loo.  Passing the foot of the bed a rather strong strand of spider silk crossed my face.  I brushed it away annoyed.  I went back to bed.

Later...I had to make another trip.  Again, I found my face crossed by a strong bit of web.  This time I was more alert, and a little alarmed at the strength of the web, and the fact that I had crossed it twice.  I turned on the light to see a bloody great black spider trying to spin his web  beneath the spinning ceiling fan which hung directly over the bed. 

I don't mind spiders when I know where they are, and they aren't too close to me.  So, he had to go.  Between two shoes at that. 

My thing is big centipedes like you find in Hawaii.  give me the heebie jeebies!

lol - Spiders I HATE. I thought they were my end all be all fear as far as insects go.............then I saw a special on this guy who raised giant venomous centipedes

3_CATERS_GIANT_CENTIPEDE_04.jpg

37 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

lol - Spiders I HATE. I thought they were my end all be all fear as far as insects go.............then I saw a special on this guy who raised giant venomous centipedes

3_CATERS_GIANT_CENTIPEDE_04.jpg

Now I'm scared of spiders and giant venomous centipedes.

Great.

Anything else? Any invisible giant 3 ft moths I need to know about? Or huge, mutated, radioactive, flesh eating ants? Or - argh! - flying invisible spiders!!??