DeanKB

New Modelling Den

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

In pounds, as opposed to coal.

We still use goats and chickens as currency up here. Virgin Maidens if we can find them too (rarer than Hens teeth in a pile of rocking horse pooh in these here parts), though thats more for sacrificing to please the various elves and pixies that live in the woods. It just complicates things when we have to deal with the outside world and use ££££ and $$$. 

Moving faffing around in t'shed.

With all that wood wherever you look, it's really easy to just stick stuff wherever you want, with screws, nails, hook & pins. 

I've managed to reduce 4 large plastic containers of mainly AM down to 1, by basically sticking stuff to handy surfaces with drawing pins. I'm hoping to free up enough space to move my bookcase in.

Using some never used clamps to store Eduard Brassin machine guns:

20190623_133418

20190623_133427

Filled up the containers above the windows:

20190623_133454 20190623_133447 20190623_133503 20190623_133510 20190623_133520 20190623_133524 20190623_133533

Big Ed's stay in the plastic bin, until I can shove each one into its respective kit box;

20190623_133755

20190623_133437

I've got a lot of these large scale plans - Whilst I work out a way to get them on show, I've decided to rotate them by hanging them up:

20190623_133341

20190623_135521

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

I'm hoping to free up enough space to move my bookcase in.

Using some never used clamps to store Eduard Brassin machine guns:

The filled bookcase is something I'd really like to see, and bar clamps are so useful; I use mine pretty frequently, though not for hanging AM.

I think you could put some ropes under the roof to hang all the sprues there.

So you can get rid of all the boxes...
It would require some sort of systematic approach though to be able to find the right sprue within a reasonable time.

Maybe it's not such a good idea...

:D

Juraj

4 hours ago, dennismcc said:

I've probably missed it somewhere in the thread but you do have a fire extinguisher don't you.

Cheers

Dennis

Um, no.

There is no permanent electricity supply, but I'm off to B&Q to get a fire extinguisher.

Now.

2 hours ago, rigor said:

Think you have more aftermarket then you have kits 

Maybe to the casual observer, but with over 300 1/32 kits - and each kit maybe averaging 2-3 bits of AM - I think there's a lot more AM actually in the respective kit boxes. 

I need to bring more books into the shed, so I need to make more space. So I've freed up this space:

From this:

20190709_182758

To this:

20190711_194512

The only space I have left is upwards. So, I've utilised the space inside the roof:

20190711_194540

20190711_194524

20190711_194535

I think I've pretty much exhausted any further extension options! I can squeeze some more into the empty roof gaps, but then that will be pretty much that.

It's a 16 ft by 8 ft shed - I think I should have gone 20 ft by 10 ft, but I just wasn't able to squeeze it into the space I had in the garden - but it's amazing how much can be squeezed into such a small space. 

If you have sufficient overhead clearance, I'd have just built a loft up there; you could then store a ton of stuff.

19 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

If you have sufficient overhead clearance, I'd have just built a loft up there; you could then store a ton of stuff.

I can reach up and touch the top of the roof - it's only about 7ft tall - so no loft possible, I'm afraid. There are wooden sheds available with tall enough walls and roofs to offer a mezzanine type floor, but they are way, way beyond my budget for this project. My budget was £2k, and that included the shed, the insulation, the boarding, the timber for the base, the guttering, wiring, fixings, paint, locks, security lighting, etc. I probably came in a little bit under budget.

A large, very tall wooden building with loft space would have set me back around £5k at least, and that's before I has to insulate, double glaze & board it.

Considering that my budget was limited, my illness limited the amount of work I could do, I had to do the entire thing on my own - every last nail & screw - and my manual skills were almost non-existent, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it's far better than I had hoped for. I enjoy sitting in there, fiddling around, listening to the cricket on the radio.

I've turned middle-aged, all of a sudden!