DeanKB

New Modelling Den

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Well...   You can save some space by inaugurating the shed with the Lanc.

I was leaning towards a Revell single seater - a Mustang, Spitfire or Fw 190 - as a simple, quick way to get back modelling.

Then I had a yearning for one of the twin floated Ar 196's, with the Alley Cat canopy. Great kit, looks really good finished, not too big.

Then I spotted the WNW Junkers D.I - no rigging WWI splendour!

Then I remembered I had a Roden SE.5a started from years ago, hidden in a shoe box.

Then I look at the AIMS Ju 188 I've started - I've hacked the entire fuselage away forward of the wings, it's crying out for some attention. But it's not quick, nor easy.

And then I catch sight of ZM's Ki-45, a seriously cool looking aeroplane.

Then I see Tamiya's Mossie, with twin Eduard Merlins & AM for everything - so much AM, in a Tamiya kit, is ludicrous!

And now I'm in danger of disappearing up my own arse.

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Nice set up.  Thanks for posting.    The paint area set up is awesome.   

I've been considering linking up two paint booths for years - the new breed of twin and four engined kits made it a sensible investment.

The painting tray is from Hobbyzone, the same people who do the storage units. Perfect for hand painting, and I daresay I'll end up airbrushing on it as well.

1 minute ago, DeanKB said:

I was leaning towards a Revell single seater - a Mustang, Spitfire or Fw 190 - as a simple, quick way to get back modelling.

Then I had a yearning for one of the twin floated Ar 196's, with the Alley Cat canopy. Great kit, looks really good finished, not too big.

Then I spotted the WNW Junkers D.I - no rigging WWI splendour!

Then I remembered I had a Roden SE.5a started from years ago, hidden in a shoe box.

Then I look at the AIMS Ju 188 I've started - I've hacked the entire fuselage away forward of the wings, it's crying out for some attention. But it's not quick, nor easy.

And then I catch sight of ZM's Ki-45, a seriously cool looking aeroplane.

Then I see Tamiya's Mossie, with twin Eduard Merlins & AM for everything - so much AM, in a Tamiya kit, is ludicrous!

I understand completely!

Good Heavens Dean, imagine the size of the stash if your interests extended beyond 1/32 pre-jet aircraft!

I'm loving watching the den's progress, so keep the pictures coming. :)

You might want a VentAvia or similar in the end gable, my shed gets ROASTING hot inside in summer, with a similar amount of insulation. Only needs to be on during the day, but it keeps it a good 10/15 degrees cooler when the sun is beating down..... Mine is on a timer plug, so only kicks in at 9am, goes off again 8pm. Cost a few pounds at my local Screwfix.

I'vec cometo the end of my modelling den project. It's gone from an overgrown, neglected corner of the garden, to a proper, insulated, waterproofed haven of LSP modelling. 

I'm very happy with it.

However, I think now is the time to take an extended break from these here forums. There seems to be an air of negativity, of prickliness, of defensiveness, of taking offence at pretty innocuous musings. The humour seems to be disappearing, and that is the most important aspect of LSP to me. I visit for some lightweight conversation & banter, with some modelling thrown in.

After visiting LSP, I find my mood is, in too many cases, more negative than it was when I started. As I'm fighting a long term illness that has stopped me working for the last few years, that's not something that's doing me any good.

I don't think this is particular to LSP, it seems to be prevalent across most, if not all, online forums these days.

So I'm going to "cut the cord" & do some proper aeroplane modelling, & try and see more people face to face. When somebody is sat in front of you, the atmosphere tends to be far more positive. And the dogs will get far more walks. I'll probably use eBay to sell my couple of hundred excess kits, but it'll have to be over a year or so - otherwise I'll flood the market & prices will drop!

I'm back!

More poodling around in the shed. I've added some more storage above the window - some old container thingymajigs I've had for years. I've pinned bits of AM onto the notice board above the painting area, added some LED lighting to the Hobbyzone units, and moved some stuff off the workbench and hooked it to the wall, to free up space. And added a noticeboard above the sofa. And added some hooks to the rafters.

The storage above the windows will eventually house little bits and bobs, like AM machine guns, wheels, exhausts, etc. I find it's better not stored away in a box, put of sight & mind.

20190618_192934

Freed up some workbench space, and improved the lighting.

20190618_192606

Wonky shelf - it's only 6mm MDF, so it's going to bow in the middle. Better not put anything heavy in the middle. Ollie approves.

20190618_192531

I've put the drill jig & rotary tool on hooks on the wall, as I use them pretty infrequently, and I've stored modelling jigs I'm not using on one of the rafters.

20190618_192514

Pinned bits of AM to the cork boards, reminds me of what I've got and oddly enough is quite an efficient use of space.

20190618_192203

With all the lights blazing, there is plenty of light to work with - and no fuses have popped, even with the compressor and heater running as well!!

20190618_192259

From outside, it looks very cozy in there - and it actually is. I just need to get the coffee machine up & running and then that's pretty much it.

20190618_191222

Are you going to have blinds/shutters to stop shifty blighters from having a nose at your fine mancave whilst you're out/away from the property?

:hmmm:

So, let's see, that is one finished modeling space, times that by a factor of available models to build in stash, devided by numbers of available hours in a day....................

You should be pumping out competed models in no time!

I dont know why, but i love looking at other peoples stash, your wall of kits is no exception, great shed project , its been great to watch

12 hours ago, AlanG said:

Are you going to have blinds/shutters to stop shifty blighters from having a nose at your fine mancave whilst you're out/away from the property?

Hadn't thought of that! It's alarmed and I'm adding a great big security bar across the doors soon. I've also got security lights. We live on the edge of town, surrounded by woodland, in a cul de sac, in a very quiet area, so hopefully it'll be OK. I'm not sure aeroplane kits are really saleable in the same way as power tools....

11 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looks like a very nifty space, Dean. I like it.

So do I!

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

:hmmm:

So, let's see, that is one finished modeling space, times that by a factor of available models to build in stash, devided by numbers of available hours in a day....................

You should be pumping out competed models in no time!

You've worked out my cunning plan.

5 hours ago, Robthepom said:

I dont know why, but i love looking at other peoples stash, your wall of kits is no exception, great shed project , its been great to watch

I think it's a universal thing - we can check others stash, to either feel less guilty because yours is smaller (!), check what kits you're missing out on, judging whether yours has room for growth, or just seeing what interests other modelers have. I'm into WWII, WWI & inter-war. I find most other stashes tend to have at least a couple of jets.

Enhanced Security. Carriage bolts, that can't be removed from the outside, and a 7 pin padlock with shielded shackle.

Security!

There's also an alarm in there, motion activated security lights, an internet enabled security camera with motion detection is pointed at it, and I'll put another padlock on the lock at the top of the door, which also has carriage bolts. I just need to swap some of the screws in the hinges for bolts, to make sure the doors just can't be unscrewed and taken off from the outside.

That should be it then. It'll never be 100% burglar proof, but I think it'll do. If somebody is absolutely determined to get in and make away with as many 1/32 aeroplane kits as they can carry, being chased by two very quick dogs and a man going quick enough to look like he made an effort, without putting himself in any danger of actually catching anybody, I'll be surprised.

I'm still working on planning permission from the wife for Kevin's suggestion of a moat & piranha's. She's afraid one of the cats or dogs will fall in. Not me, just the one of the pets. "You're insured, you can't replace pets", or something like that.

6 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Enhanced Security. Carriage bolts, that can't be removed from the outside, and a 7 pin padlock with shielded shackle.

Security!

There's also an alarm in there, motion activated security lights, an internet enabled security camera with motion detection is pointed at it, and I'll put another padlock on the lock at the top of the door, which also has carriage bolts. I just need to swap some of the screws in the hinges for bolts, to make sure the doors just can't be unscrewed and taken off from the outside.

That should be it then. It'll never be 100% burglar proof, but I think it'll do. If somebody is absolutely determined to get in and make away with as many 1/32 aeroplane kits as they can carry, being chased by two very quick dogs and a man going quick enough to look like he made an effort, without putting himself in any danger of actually catching anybody, I'll be surprised.

I'm still working on planning permission from the wife for Kevin's suggestion of a moat & piranha's. She's afraid one of the cats or dogs will fall in. Not me, just the one of the pets. "You're insured, you can't replace pets", or something like that.

Make sure the padlocks are weatherproof....